Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
After 10 years on a Seven Axiom I too lusted after carbon. Lots of research led me to the Parlee Z5. Geometry and size were nearly the same as my Seven. I was sure I was going to get one after reading all the reviews. Trouble is, I did not like the ride. It was not bad, just kind of dead. There was no feedback from the road. I did like the way the stiffness helped when climbing though.

I ended up back with Seven and got the mixed Ti/carbon 622 SLX. I seems to have the best of both worlds, stiff & light but also transmits a nice amount of road feel. Plus, the filament wound carbon tubes are a bit more resistant to cracking upon impact as compared to those molded in forms IMO. Still, I really do like the look of the new styles with hidden cables, so clean. But, as I do my own wrenching, I'll stick to external cables for the time being.

Carbon feels *dead* compared to other materials due to its dampening qualities. And there are degrees of *dead*...I felt my Madone felt more dead than the Parlee.

Carbon will feel a bit different but it will be hard to discern that on a quick test ride. You need to ride it over rough roads, rolling hills and big climbs. Then the qualities that you want will start to be more evident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk