Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 01-03-2021, 12:36 PM

Pace RC295, 29er trail bike

Pace was one of the very earliest mountain bike companies, 15 year old me wanted one so very badly - but my paper-round earnings didn't really enable my ambition. Fast forward 30 years and I no longer rely on a paper-round to fund my life, so a Pace was rather more accessible - and luckily Pace had survived into the modern era (with a small interregnum with the sale of their suspension fork business to DT Swiss).

I ordered this bike toward the end of 2019, and finally took delivery a few days (as in, four) before I was booked to be at Morgins downhill mountain bike park in the Swiss Alps. It's safe to say that it wasn't shaken down before I went - more on that to come.

It's an XL, running a mixture of XTR, XT and Magura.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:43 PM

I've made some changes since I took those pictures, it's running "proper" Magura brake discs now, and I'm changing from the stock Reverb lever to the 1x, but other than that it's an extremely competent bike. Now. What I had at the top chair-lift in Morgins was rather less so.

I'd received the bike, then packed it, driven the thousand miles (involving channel tunnel trip) to Switzerland, unpacked it and taken it to the local bike shop to have sealant put in the tyres. I also asked them to bleed the brakes as Pace told me it'd likely need it.

I picked it up on our first morning in Morgins and went straight up in the chairlift - this was enthusiastic but bone-headed.

Heading straight into the blue run I discovered a few things, in quite short order.

The brakes hadn't been burnt in - and had hardly any bite at all. More, the bleeding hadn't gone well - the lever went to the bars every now and again.

Finally, the bike shop had left 45 PSI in the tyres (I presume they'd popped the bead off to put the sealant in and then hit it with the compressor to get it re-seated, then not adjusted it back down afterward.

Oh, and it had been raining. I was therefore on a downhill run on a bike I had literally never ridden before that wouldn't stop, wouldn't turn, but would go very very fast in a straight line.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:49 PM

I wondered whether I'd actually make it down that first run, but I did, and once I'd got to the bottom the brakes had burnt in (although they air was still in the system), and bringing the tyres down to 20 front and 24 rear did wonders for availability of grip.

This is Morgins, for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THFD_cTb0FI

I spent some time with the local bike shop trying to make the Magura's work - we failed, and I ended up buying a set of Shimano Zee brakes purely because the bike shop could bleed them. When I got home my local bike shop re-fitted the Magura and bled them successfully, just a shame that this wasn't something that the place in Morgins could do.

I spent two weeks in Morgins and the amount I learnt was staggering - and the speed I gained in those two weeks was quite impressive (to me, I doubt to anyone else). It was very much a baptism of fire, but we got there in the end and I absolutely love riding this bike.

However, I will say that it's so very competent that it does make some of the smaller stuff near me (I live in London) a bit tame, so much so that I bought myself a Pace RC529 to bring back the challenge (see other thread).
Old 01-03-2021, 01:25 PM
but not really

Aren't those wiz valves supposed to help you know right away that you have entirely too much or too little air in the tires? Or were those added after your Swiss experience?
Old 01-03-2021, 01:45 PM

I was in too much of a hurry to get up the mountain- so I didn’t set those up until I was at the bottom again.

I hold my hand up to being not the brightest person on the mountain that day.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:07 PM

Pretty cool that you could fulfill a childhood desire! Oh and nice bike! Those bike parks scare the crap out of me. Lucky for me I don’t have one close by for friends to pressure me about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2021, 08:08 PM

Interesting that you spec’d the dual DHR 2 on both of these Pace bikes. I’ve tried that combo and prefer the DHF/DHR2, though the braking traction on the dual DHR2 setup is immense. DHF in front in my experience handles aggressive cornering a bit better, recovers from slips a bit better, and rolls a bit faster. Both setups are great so it seems terrain and riding style dependent.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:54 AM

The runs at Morgins average -30% gradient, so braking traction was quite high on my list of priorities.

Back in the U.K. I have another set of wheels with Minion SS on that I use a lot on the hard tail, and a third set of wheels with a Nobby Nick on the back and a Hans Dampf on the front for moderate terrain.

TBH the Minion SS have really surprised me with their cornering grip- there’s not much braking traction, but if all you are doing is minor adjustments to your speed or angle rather than trying to scrub off a big head of velocity they’re fine.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:55 AM

The Magura adapter just arrived, some bleeding beckons.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:48 PM

Brand new 1x remote, new bleed kit, fluid comes out of the hose/remote junction when you operate the lever. Bugger.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:27 AM

I seem to have fixed the leak, and adding a little 3M safety-walk tape has resolve the "wet bar of soap" level of friction that the paddle comes with natively.

Pace fit the chain stays with flat, self adhesive rubber sheet to control chain slap and heel rub and it was starting to lift (and frankly wasn't that good at what it was meant to achieve) so I replaced it with some VHS (Velocity Hucking Systems) Tape, which comes in quite fun packaging.

On the bike:

Packaging:

Old 01-16-2021, 12:25 PM

Works well: