Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2021, 02:10 PM
sulfate125

Looking for a good bike shop in DC

Has someone some experience to recommend a bike shop in Washington DC for bike tuneup? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:37 PM

The Bicycle Place in Silver Spring.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:48 PM

Never used but seems legit
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...256200042.html
Old 01-17-2021, 03:59 PM
Vendor

One of the best wrenches in the country is in the DMV. Merlyn Townley. He's a USAC Cat 1 mechanic, has done everything you can think of and then some. He works for one of the Velofix trucks there. There are VERY FEW people I would trust to work on my bike, Merlyn is one of them, he's that good.

merlyn.townley@velofix.com
Old 01-17-2021, 04:11 PM

I have seen these Velofix trucks around where I live. Can someone explain what is the benefit to us consumers? At least in my area, they do not seem to be any cheaper than bike shops. So, I am assuming that instead of me taking the bike to the LBS, these guys come to us. Is this the only benefit?

I looked at prices for a frame build up by Velofix -- $330. I think this is very close to a frame buildup by my LBS as well.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:40 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I have seen these Velofix trucks around where I live. Can someone explain what is the benefit to us consumers? At least in my area, they do not seem to be any cheaper than bike shops. So, I am assuming that instead of me taking the bike to the LBS, these guys come to us. Is this the only benefit?

I looked at prices for a frame build up by Velofix -- $330. I think this is very close to a frame buildup by my LBS as well.
Yes, they come to you vs you having to drag a bike to a shop. In the case of the DMV, it could take you an hour to get to a shop or to THE shop you like. And with the inauguration it could be worse since a lot of the DC area has limits on where you can go.

While I am an IBD supporter, and there are a couple shops in the area I like, Merlyn, he's too good a mechanic to not recommend. He's worked with and for some of the best racers or people in general. Frank the Welder, Tom Ritchey and numerous others. Like I said, there are a very small handful of people I would trust with my personal bikes, Merlyn is one of them.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Yes, they come to you vs you having to drag a bike to a shop. In the case of the DMV, it could take you an hour to get to a shop or to THE shop you like. And with the inauguration it could be worse since a lot of the DC area has limits on where you can go.

While I am an IBD supporter, and there are a couple shops in the area I like, Merlyn, he's too good a mechanic to not recommend. He's worked with and for some of the best racers or people in general. Frank the Welder, Tom Ritchey and numerous others. Like I said, there are a very small handful of people I would trust with my personal bikes, Merlyn is one of them.
Glad you mentioned him. I’m looking for a mechanic on a couple of my classic builds and not many LBS mechanics know the more finicky sides of Campy (Delta set up).
Old 01-17-2021, 06:30 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCilliams View Post
Glad you mentioned him. I’m looking for a mechanic on a couple of my classic builds and not many LBS mechanics know the more finicky sides of Campy (Delta set up).
Oh, Merlyn can absolutely help you. He has a Campy master tool kit and knows how to use it, and how to set up Deltas. Plus he loves classic builds. He's working on a 1 of 1 Panasonic with Dura Ace AX right now. He's on insta as merlynmechanics
Old 01-17-2021, 06:33 PM

What is DMV?
Old 01-17-2021, 06:41 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
What is DMV?
DC/Maryland/Virginia area
Old 01-17-2021, 09:14 PM

I've had good experiences Bicycle Space in Ivy City and the Bicycle Pro Shop in Georgetown. I'm actually taking my 130mm OLD disc frame to Bicycle Space in the coming weeks to have it cold set ton135mm OLD.

I'm lukewarm on Daily Rider on H St. I haven't had any issues with work done there but personality wise I don't think I quite geled with the folks there.

There's a huge cult following for Bikenetic in NoVa but I don't get out there often so I haven't personally been. Same with Green Lizard a bit further out.

Haven't had my bike worked on at Proteus in College Park but been in a few times and met the owners. Definitely legit.

From what I've heard Bill Mould at Spokes Etc in NoVa is one of the all time best wheel builders.

Then there is always Conte's. I bought my first bike ever from them and they taught me that it's valuable to learn to do your own bike work after I took it in for a tune-up to the sum of $250 in labor.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
The Bicycle Place in Silver Spring.

I like them too. When I used to commute to DC I would take my bike for service there for things that I can’t do myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tuxbailey; 01-19-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:57 AM
sulfate125

Thanks. This is really helpful.