Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 09:47 AM

Actually I'll also say (just my opinion) that I think Deep dish carbon wheels look really ridiculous on steel frames.

It's a total anachronism to me... two things from two different eras that don't belong together.

I'd never say anything negative to anyone but I don't like the look.

Also oversize/tapered forks on metal frames. Totally onboard that the performance will be worth it but aesthetics... nope.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Actually I'll also say (just my opinion) that I think Deep dish carbon wheels look really ridiculous on steel frames.

It's a total anachronism to me... two things from two different eras that don't belong together.

I'd never say anything negative to anyone but I don't like the look.

Also oversize/tapered forks on metal frames. Totally onboard that the performance will be worth it but aesthetics... nope.
on all steel frames...? or just vintage ones
Old 04-01-2020, 10:23 AM

Pretty much all... there are no vintage frames with tapered head tubes obviously.

When you've got a 1/4" -> 1/2" fork on a Ti frame that has relatively skinny tubes for all the other parts of the frame the head tube just looks out of proportion and unbalanced.

And uber fancy carbon wheels on a steel frame just look like some kind of weird attempt to try and say "Steel can be modern too". It's denialism that race bikes have moved on from steel. Usually when I see pictures of bikes like that it's a case of someone spending a gazillion dollars to try and make a custom steel bike weight weenie competitive with an off the shelf carbon race bike that would have been cheaper in the first place.

All just my opinion though.. I'm never going to tell anyone I don't like their bike.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Pretty much all... there are no vintage frames with tapered head tubes obviously.

When you've got a 1/4" -> 1/2" fork on a Ti frame that has relatively skinny tubes for all the other parts of the frame the head tube just looks out of proportion and unbalanced.

And uber fancy carbon wheels on a steel frame just look like some kind of weird attempt to try and say "Steel can be modern too". It's denialism that race bikes have moved on from steel. Usually when I see pictures of bikes like that it's a case of someone spending a gazillion dollars to try and make a custom steel bike weight weenie competitive with an off the shelf carbon race bike that would have been cheaper in the first place.

All just my opinion though.. I'm never going to tell anyone I don't like their bike.
I'm with you, brother.

I think I may be a retrogrouch--but I think it was E-Ritchie who said years ago that he liked the visual weight of things to kind of match--so modern components on more modern frames. I find the deep carbon rims on something like a Master XL visually jarring--along with quill adapters, heavy stems etc on skinny tube bikes...
Old 04-01-2020, 11:31 AM

My bike, my way, I like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ritchey.jpg (152.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 04-01-2020, 02:57 PM

Why do people despise deep section alloy braking tracks but love tan wall tires?

I’m sorry, but my steel bike looks 1000000x better because it has carbon wheels. I guess they’re called opinions for a reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by dpdan93; 04-01-2020 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:04 PM

Not with all those horrible blingy accents it doesn't ;-)
Old 04-01-2020, 03:12 PM

Why do people despise deep section alloy braking tracks but love tan wall tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
Not with all those horrible blingy accents it doesn't ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by dpdan93; 04-01-2020 at 06:07 PM.