Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 02:08 PM

Very OT: sleek steel/safety toe shoes? Also need to vent...

I’m dying inside here looking at options on the internet. I have a nice pair of boots but I don’t want to have to wear them every day. Also, I can barely drive my car (small car with a manual transmission) with them on because they’re so bulky. I only bought them because certain facilities make you wear them so when I went on the road I’d have them ready - but I never had to wear them every day. I need some decent safety toe shoes that don’t look like ass!

The other option is to sell my car, buy an F250, gain 80lbs and rock keens and un-tucked polo shirts with straight leg wranglers, so I can fit in with other stereotypical industrial engineers. Chunk fest aesthetic.

I have a bunch of nice clothes and nice “normal” shoes because I used to work in an office, but now I’m going to be working in the office sometimes but more frequently on a factory floor. I don’t want to give up my skinny pants. I might wear a polo if they make me but I’ll avoid it at all costs.

So yeah... shoes that don’t look like something a 90 year old grandpas orthopedic specials would be sweet. Or shoes that aren’t so huge I’m going to put my M3 into the back of a semi on the freeway - that would be cool. Maybe ones that I can fit my skinny jeans and dress pants over, instead of tucking them inside like an invalid and looking like sonic the hedgehog. Yeah, that would be ideal.

You guys got anything for me?
Old 03-29-2020, 02:22 PM

Been in your shoes (pun intended) before. Try the keen utility line. I wouldn't say that they are sleek, but at least you are at urban hiker instead of construction worker.

Some of the Red Wings offerings have a nice retro modern vibe also
Old 03-29-2020, 02:28 PM

2nd red wing

that is what i've used decent variety, that don't look like military/construction/ biker and great quality
Old 03-29-2020, 02:28 PM
Administrator

good timing. i was looking myself friday.

i'm an engineer too, and have always needed steel toes, not every day, but reasonably often. it's very tough to find a pair that is good to travel with and doesnt make you look like a construction worker.

in the work i do, i stand a very very small chance of needing the actual protection afforded by the steel toe, but rather to meet the requirement of everyone on site needs them.

generally, i just wear regular shoes and change to boots for site visits and then dump them immediately when i'm done.

that's probably your best bet. commute to work in your regular shoes and then swap.

anyway, i was looking at these, they look promising?

https://oxfordsteels.com/collections/men
Old 03-29-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
good timing. i was looking myself friday.

i'm an engineer too, and have always needed steel toes, not every day, but reasonably often. it's very tough to find a pair that is good to travel with and doesnt make you look like a construction worker.

in the work i do, i stand a very very small chance of needing the actual protection afforded by the steel toe, but rather to meet the requirement of everyone on site needs them.

generally, i just wear regular shoes and change to boots for site visits and then dump them immediately when i'm done.

that's probably your best bet. commute to work in your regular shoes and then swap.

anyway, i was looking at these, they look promising?

https://oxfordsteels.com/collections/men
Hmmmmm I like what I see here!
Old 03-29-2020, 02:40 PM

I’ll take a look at what red wing has to offer as well.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:12 PM
Riding Along

Check out Blundstone.

https://www.blundstone.com/shop/work-boots
Old 03-29-2020, 03:17 PM

Boots

Nicks & White's are the best looking boots, IMO, but also most expensive. Made in USA.

I work construction & I wear Thorogood boots. USA made & also union made, if you care about that sort of thing.

Blundstone & Danner boots are also pretty nice.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:24 PM

Combat Boots

Quite a few Cove steel toe boots available on ebay. Really well made U.S. product from 1980-mid 90's military contract. Tan lining models are a little more comfortable imo. I've bought a couple pair through the years for work and they have held up great. Look like casual dress boots. Soles are a bit slippery, so I rough them up with sandpaper when new. They do run "old school" sizing: I wear 9.5 D/Regular in these, but modern boots, a 10.5D.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/COVE-SHOE-C...4AAOSwfzdboWcQ
Old 03-29-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I was going to suggest this too. Best part is easy on easy off and they provide good cushioning for standing in.

I keep a set in the back of my car for site visits. The pair I have is going on 12 years and still look good.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund View Post
Nicks & White's are the best looking boots, IMO, but also most expensive. Made in USA.

I work construction & I wear Thorogood boots. USA made & also union made, if you care about that sort of thing.

Blundstone & Danner boots are also pretty nice.
I actually have a pair of whites boots, but they aren’t steel toe. Although.. I could probably just tell people they are. They’re so thick and sturdy they would offer some protection. I actually had my foot in the way of a machines caster wheel when we were moving it and the toe of the boot stopped it in it’s tracks with no impact to my foot. That said I think reports of their comfort are exaggerated and they weigh about 5lbs each. I think mine are “packer” style. They do make me a solid inch taller though!
Old 03-29-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
These aren’t bad looking. So far I think the Oxford ones that angry posted are in the lead.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:05 PM

There's always doc martens. Maybe not a bad compromise in terms of something that still may "fit in" a bit better with some of the other more burly aesthetic safety shoes others may be wearing.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:22 PM

I second Blundstones

I've worn these for a long time, usually the 500's but the 140's are very similar and fit your need. You can dress them up or down and they are good enough for Paul Price, a man who appreciates quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (109.1 KB, 178 views)
Old 03-30-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
This is what I do, as I need mine (two pair- one for inside manufacturing plants where I'm less worried about sole penetration and a pair of Chippewas for construction sites)a fair amount, but certainly not every day.