Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2019, 06:48 PM

Pegoretti White Touch Up Paint Advice

Hey guy's,

Thanks to Texbike, I'm the proud new owner of a 58cm Peg Marcello in a beautiful white. I don't know the year of the frame, but in looking at Pegoretti's website, the bike appears to be Pure White RAL 9010. Is anyone able to confirm this from the attached pic?

The rust is just surface, so going to take a rust remover to it soon, then smooth out the area somewhat before paint. I assume regular touch-up brush or pen paint is likely the best way to go, other than it might make more sense to mask and spray around the BB. Thoughts?

The color scheme isn't my most favourite Peg design, but I would like to retain it given Dario's history and all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, including best places to source the paint, etc.

thanks,

Bill
Old 09-03-2019, 06:54 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Nail polish.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
Nail polish.
Two bottles
Old 09-03-2019, 07:15 PM
Steel..what else??

I would sand all the paint that is peeling off the BB.
Sandpaper, rust treatment, primer and spray paint.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:30 PM

Hey Bill - wow you bought that?! Awesome! Now I have a Peg to see next time I visit Vancouver! So, you’re just fixing up the BB shell? It is worth your time... cool bike.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
I would sand all the paint that is peeling off the BB.
Sandpaper, rust treatment, primer and spray paint.
Hi Dan,

Any recommended spray paints or primer? This is my first time touching up a steel bike and I'd like it to look as good a possible.

thanks,

Bill
Old 09-03-2019, 11:38 PM

I’ve never used it for a bike but automotivetouchup.com can make you a custom paint pen or spray can.

Sand, primer, paint, gloss
Old 09-03-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Hey Bill - wow you bought that?! Awesome! Now I have a Peg to see next time I visit Vancouver! So, you’re just fixing up the BB shell? It is worth your time... cool bike.
Yes, she's all mine! Always wanted a Peg and couldn't pass it up at that price. Now I just need to clean off the rust. The main area is the BB, with a couple of minor spots on the bottle cage bolts and cable stops. If I get a good matching spray paint (I'm assuming the Peg color is Pure White - RAL 9010), I will likely tape off these areas and just spray once I sand it down and get the minor surface rust off. It doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd like to try to prevent any rust spreading and clean it up more.

Any tips from anyone would be appreciated. Hoping to do more than just cover it with nail polish, but appreciate the advice.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:50 PM

Hey Bill... So we have two things in common. We both live in Vancouver and both own Pegoretti Marcelo's now

If you want to go beyond the "do it yourself" approach, maybe give Harald at Toxik in Richmond a call? I don't know if he'd be down to restore or would want to strip and re-paint, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

https://www.toxikdesignlab.com/
Old 09-04-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damocles View Post
Hey Bill... So we have two things in common. We both live in Vancouver and both own Pegoretti Marcelo's now

If you want to go beyond the "do it yourself" approach, maybe give Harald at Toxik in Richmond a call? I don't know if he'd be down to restore or would want to strip and re-paint, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

https://www.toxikdesignlab.com/
Thanks, I will keep him in mind. My impression was he was more geared towards strip and repaint, when I'd rather keep Dario's original paint and just restore the problem areas.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:28 AM

I would start with an oxalic acid bath to get rid of the rust, shouldn't damage the rest of the paint.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:19 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd0012 View Post
the bike appears to be Pure White RAL 9010. Is anyone able to confirm this from the attached pic?
Is this confirmed yet? i would call the white of my 2014 Peg a rather "warm" sort, close to ivory. If that's the same as on yours, is that RAL 9010 ("pure white")?
Old 09-04-2019, 08:07 AM

I sent Dario an email with my serial number and asked what the color were for a repaint here in the US I planned to do. Gita said it was too expensive to ship it back and forth to Italy for a repaint. Dario sent me the RAL codes for my frame pretty quickly. I would assume the guys still there could provide you code.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:03 AM

White can be hard to match. I wouldn’t use nail polish for that; only for tiny imperfections. Automotive touch up site mentioned above is good. They have kits that come with the paint, primer, clear coat.

IMO, as you alluded to, that needs the full Monty. Rust removal, sanding, priming. A frame like that, I’d turn over to a pro. Duane Waller at Chester Cycles in Chicago did similar touch up work on my De Rosa and made it look like new.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:12 AM

The 1st thing to do for a DIY with that frame is to sand the rust off using 600 grit sand paper.

I cant tell from the picture which primer is underneath the paint but I guess they used probably acrylic white primer... but IMO probably any primer in spray will do ok.

For the paint, find the place that sells car paint and take the frame there, then look into the paint chips they have, there's so many colors and car models that is almost sure you will find something really close if not the same one.

Ask the guy to mix a 1/4 pint and get some clear coat aswell...

I would spray that an airbrush, the area is minimal, or maybe a detail gun.

Second option... tamiya primer, paint and clear coat. using an airbrush, this is the cheapest and simplest option. But i have to highlight, you have to sand the areas really well before painting.