Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2020, 05:24 PM

(Rant warning) Rene Herse tires poorly designed for tubeless?

I had the same problem with stretched beads on a pair of Snoqualmie Pass tires. Initially they sealed fine, but when I took one off and remounted it, I couldn't air it up, even with a compressor. I won't run Rene Herse tires tubeless again. Also had trouble with sealant bleeding through the sidewalls and a bubble forming in the tread. That tire they replaced under warranty.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that these tires don't work well tubeless. They are light weight, performance tires. It's no wonder they have weak tire beads and porous sidewalls. I'm sure they work well with tubes.

Last edited by MikeD; 12-01-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:48 PM

Does JH recommend a specific rim for the tires? If not, does he even mention what rim he has them mounted on?
Old 11-30-2020, 05:53 PM
Vendor

I had sealant weeping through the sidewalls on my Rene Herse tires. No way could they be seated with a floor pump. Eventually they sealed up fine. My problem was that the sidewall blew out after maybe a few hundred miles. It happened on the road after coming down dirt trail. These were the ultra lights. Rene Herse said I must've hit it on a rock or something despite there being no abrasion marks anywhere. I think these things have a design defect. I don't think the sidewalls are robust enough for normal riding.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
My local shop refuses to sell or mount Bon Jon Pass tires on any wheel.
Did they say why?
Old 11-30-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Does JH recommend a specific rim for the tires? If not, does he even mention what rim he has them mounted on?
AFAIK there's a quasi standard out there for tubeless tires but RH doesn't claim to require any special rim AFAIK
Old 11-30-2020, 06:58 PM

Because of the issue of them blowing off of rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Did they say why?
Old 11-30-2020, 07:07 PM

(Rant warning) Rene Herse tires poorly designed for tubeless?

I’ve had reliable tubeless results with dozens of RH tires, but RH tires consume sealant more quickly than other brands. I use Orange Seal and an Airshot tubeless canister for all tubeless mounting.

I once had a Snoqualmie that had trouble sealing, and RH replaced it.

Years ago I had a couple rims with loose bead shelf that made tubeless mounting difficult.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 11-30-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Has anyone else experienced this? These were new, normal rims that have had other tubeless tires on them with no problems.
Same issues with BJP - bead stretches, blows off the rim if you dare go over 60 psi, weeps goo through the sidewalls. I'd never ride them on anything other than boutique rides.

Tossed them out at 1500 miles - also no reply from Jan on the weeping sidewall issues, but I am lazy and never followed up very aggressively.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:56 PM

I mean no disrespect but I can't figure out how RH tires and Panaracers are made by the same factory.

The Gravel King SS+ I am running have been bulletproof and problem free. Although I did not mount them to my Enve 3.4 AR wheels, I was watching the bike mechanic do it with ease.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:57 PM

I still run tubes in my road bike and, gotta say, after reading a thread like this I feel pretty good about how the last time I mounted a pair of tires it took less than ten minutes and I didn't really think have to about it.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt_ View Post
I still run tubes in my road bike and, gotta say, after reading a thread like this I feel pretty good about how the last time I mounted a pair of tires it took less than ten minutes and I didn't really think have to about it.
Tubeless is better though. You can ride through goat heads and not get a flat.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:09 AM

Endurance Casing

I recently mounted up a set up 38mm Steilacooms with the endurance casing on DT460s using gorilla tape and 3oz of Stans in each wheel. They seated easy with my pump and have leaked no sealant through the sidewalls. They hold pressure incredibly well.

I am glad I ordered the endurance casing, I had a feeling the regular casing is not up tubeless requirements. I was worried the endurance casing would not be supple, but it seems to be the perfect mix of tubeless compatible, but still supple.

They feel as supple as the Schwalbe G One Allrounds they replaced. Just as fast on the road, but way more confident on looser gravel. I think they may be the perfect gravel tire.

Can't believe how well they corner on the road.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:12 AM

Fleecer Ridge

I have 1000 miles on my Fleecer Ridge endurance with no issues. Running 22-23 psi on rough terrains. These are my first RH tires so my experiences are limited.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:18 AM

So True

Quote:

I did a gravel ride in the Badlands of SD and there was a 100 meter stretch where our riding group of 5 had 4 flats. The 4 flats were with the two riders using regular tubes caused by goat heads. The 3 of us that were tubeless picked the goat heads out and our tires sealed no problem.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Riiight, in theory, but we're learning from this thread you can't even get to the goat heads without flatting a RH tire from weeping sealant or blowing off the rim. Running a tube with sealant inside the tube appears to be the best solution for RH tires.

Tags
snake oil, too good to be true