Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2019, 04:37 PM
ZhugeLiang

Luwabra pal, this is my second attempt at it. My first try was on another bike and i didn't like it that much. On this one, two things I noticed. First, when I stand up to climb, my hands were on the outer most part of the bar, and it felt very natural, no awkard wrist inflexion plus I was able to rock or roll the bike from side to side in my normal rhythmic climbing style. That was awesome. The second part was where the bar is now in relation to the height of my saddle, they are almost level with each other and reach was perfect on the outer most hand position which is what you want to base off because that's where you are going to spend the most time on in that position. Oh and I forgot, with the outer most hand position, I felt I have full leverage and was able to take control of the gravel bike in a way that was confidence inspiring. I literally thought to myself that I can steer this ship through all kinds of storms and challenging terrain, D2R2, farmers daughter, kanza200, whatever, this bike will devour them for breakfast....kinda silly but that's what was on my mind.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:40 PM

New bike day - Routt RSL

First ride!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Routt1024.jpg (133.5 KB, 505 views)
Old 04-02-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Luwabra pal, this is my second attempt at it. My first try was on another bike and i didn't like it that much. On this one, two things I noticed. First, when I stand up to climb, my hands were on the outer most part of the bar, and it felt very natural, no awkard wrist inflexion plus I was able to rock or roll the bike from side to side in my normal rhythmic climbing style. That was awesome. The second part was where the bar is now in relation to the height of my saddle, they are almost level with each other and reach was perfect on the outer most hand position which is what you want to base off because that's where you are going to spend the most time on in that position. Oh and I forgot, with the outer most hand position, I felt I have full leverage and was able to take control of the gravel bike in a way that was confidence inspiring. I literally thought to myself that I can steer this ship through all kinds of storms and challenging terrain, D2R2, farmers daughter, kanza200, whatever, this bike will devour them for breakfast....kinda silly but that's what was on my mind.

Thanks.. I’m on the right track then.. I started to feel very confident in ruts,loose gravel etc and didn’t know if it was tires or control from bars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7CD1F88D-24F0-49C1-8D41-801DAF75EC6E.jpg (147.7 KB, 490 views)
File Type: jpg FC64080B-0D6C-4944-8CE3-61B351E77921.jpg (84.5 KB, 484 views)
Old 04-02-2019, 05:20 PM

That KM built up nicely. I have warmed a lot to the idea of riding an MTB on gravel, and having multiple positions on the Jones bar is really appealing.

I have a full build kit for a gravel MTB in my parts bin, waiting on a 90's Kona Cinder Cone frame to arrive. I just have Sim-Works Getaround bars for now, which will at least give one comfortable (i.e., not aggressive) position.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
Weisan what’s your jones bar impression? I put them on my karate monkey and am trying to fall in love w them.... I’m coming around but it certainly isn’t immediate clouds parting/angels singing for me. I come from strictly a drop past tho. Probably fit but idk I think it’s close to what Jeff suggests..

Nice vd btw! Top tubes!!
Jones bars are great for the multiple positions, but with gravel you tend to miss the drops to get out of the wind. Ran Jones bars for the 2012 Almanzo 100 and with winds in the 25-40mph range all day, it was really tough not having drops. Ran Cowbells 3 of the next 4 years.

I have Jones bars on my Big Dummy and my Moots Rogue YBB. Great bars.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:53 PM
ZhugeLiang

That's why I think Jeff came up with this. I experimented with it but couldn't get comfortable on that aero position with my bad back so decided not to mess with it. Bottomline is, there's always gonna be some tradeoffs and it's up to the individual riders to decide what matters the most to them and how they intend to ride.

Last edited by weisan; 04-02-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:12 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
Thanks.. I’m on the right track then.. I started to feel very confident in ruts,loose gravel etc and didn’t know if it was tires or control from bars.
Looks great!

I think it's both (big fat knobby tires and better control with the bar).

Essentially, I think we are taking the cue from Jeff's Jones Plus bike.

http://www.bikepacking.com/news/jones-plus-complete/
Old 04-03-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
That KM built up nicely. I have warmed a lot to the idea of riding an MTB on gravel, and having multiple positions on the Jones bar is really appealing.

I have a full build kit for a gravel MTB in my parts bin, waiting on a 90's Kona Cinder Cone frame to arrive. I just have Sim-Works Getaround bars for now, which will at least give one comfortable (i.e., not aggressive) position.
thanks. its a really fun ride and has been awesome for solo gravel when pace isnt so much of a thing. its definitely not as fast as other bikes i have but thats not what i wanted it for either. needs some upgrades still but i'll wear some parts out first. kona frame sounds fun. build pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
Jones bars are great for the multiple positions, but with gravel you tend to miss the drops to get out of the wind. Ran Jones bars for the 2012 Almanzo 100 and with winds in the 25-40mph range all day, it was really tough not having drops. Ran Cowbells 3 of the next 4 years.

I have Jones bars on my Big Dummy and my Moots Rogue YBB. Great bars.
agree. its really hard for me not to order some trp hylex and drop bar this thing but im trying to refrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Looks great!

I think it's both (big fat knobby tires and better control with the bar).

Essentially, I think we are taking the cue from Jeff's Jones Plus bike.

http://www.bikepacking.com/news/jones-plus-complete/
thanks! those tires are really great. recommended by a trusted gravel/ offroad ss badass. roll fast enough and have some grip if need is there to jump on some single track or junk 2 track. blunt 35's are real nice also. this time of year the gravels here are trashed from the frost going out so the bigger tire has been great.

I cannot get comfy in that aero position either. my back is fine but the saddle tip encroaching on the nether region doesnt' last long. im ok with the other hand positions.... comfortable and well designed/thought out. its a great long distance bar if speed isn't a concern. i'll leave it on through the first part of summer to see if I can like it more.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:16 AM

I have been racing gravel for the last 6 years, my gateway to it was the Grasshopper Series in Northern California. I've done a bunch of events across the state, and consistently finish in the top 25% of most events I enter in.

I've gathered that "gravel" in California is a pretty different kind of racing than it is in other parts of the country, the courses can get quite technical, the climbs are steep and long, the descents windy and rough and FAST.

For a few years I used a Santa Cruz Stigmata (alloy, cantilever) and it did me well. However I had a great 26" hardtail I had purchased at my first shop job that was collecting dust, as my other mountain bikes had gotten larger and more aggressive. When the Open UP bikes first popped up the, multiple wheelsize thing intrigued me, and I realized that the modern wave of high volume 650b tires had approximately the same outer diameter as a 26"x2.3. I was in business, and the idea to repurpose my hardtail was born.

It's gone through a few iterations but my basic set up is now this: 1 Titanium Ibis Mojo Ltd, 2 forks (100mm SID, and a suspension corrected Potts Type 2). 2 Chainrings (36 and 40), a SRAM Eagle X0 group, and a big grip of tires.

Here it is with the rigid fork and slicks - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt1cMMCApx7/

and here it is basically in skinny tire hardtail mode. - https://www.instagram.com/p/BvUt2M0lJre/

Last edited by onetwentyeight; 04-03-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:58 PM
hoolered

^^^what a great update to that bike!! Looks fun, understated, wow. It would be nice to have room in the collection for a bike like that. Congrats!
Old 04-03-2019, 03:31 PM

currently set up with CX gearing but will change that soon.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:56 PM

This just arrived, first ride tomorrow (4-4-19). No rational for the build other than I fell in love with it at NAHBS......

Which means the Poprad is for sale.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:24 PM

Wow, these last three bikes are absolutely lust-worthy. Inspiring for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineA1 View Post
This just arrived, first ride tomorrow (4-4-19). No rational for the build other than I fell in love with it at NAHBS......
I fell in love too when I saw the gallery!*drool*

Really like the machined spider for those WI cranks, so much attention to detail.

https://theradavist.com/2019/03/nahb...ation-award/#1
Old 04-03-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopes View Post
Wow, these last three bikes are absolutely lust-worthy. Inspiring for sure

I fell in love too when I saw the gallery!*drool*

Really like the machined spider for those WI cranks, so much attention to detail.

https://theradavist.com/2019/03/nahb...ation-award/#1

The attention to detail is insane. I pulled up a stool last night just sat and looked at various components for an entire beer.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineA1 View Post
I pulled up a stool last night just sat and looked at various components for an entire beer.....
I know this exact feeling. Cannot wait to hear how it rides!