Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2018, 08:08 PM

Show me your gravelbikes....inspire me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
Nice shots - how are you liking the Schwalbe's? Which model and what size are those?

Yea our "feels like" right now is 109

Thanks Rob! The Schwalbes are pretty awesome tires. They are 35 g-one all round tle set up tubeless and are great on light gravel, dirt, chip seal and roll well on pavement too. I would put them up there with the best multi surface tires for sure.

Not sure about the overall durability yet, but I haven’t had any issues over the first 750 miles or so. No flats yet and they are just starting to show some wear after riding some hot asphalt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Not really what I think of as a dedicated gravel-only ride but instead an All Road type bike. I call it a MRB (Montana Road Bike) because you can't put a really good loop rode together here without some gravel and dirt.

dave

It would make a great "Minnesota" road bike as well.

90% of my rides are a mix of gravel and road.

I get a new retirement bike in two years and this one just got added to the short list.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:57 AM

inspiration with Lake Tahoe in the distance..

[
Old 07-03-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
inspiration with Lake Tahoe in the distance..

[
This inspires me. I'm moving to Kingman, AZ next month and the area has some really great single track. I'll probably end up with a MTB by the end of the year but I think I'll use the Coconino for the flowing trails that don't have rock gardens. Based on what others have told me, the WTB KOM I23 rims might not be the best downhill bombing wheels so I might get something stronger and wider in carbon and save the WTB wheelset for gravel.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
This inspires me. I'm moving to Kingman, AZ next month and the area has some really great single track. I'll probably end up with a MTB by the end of the year but I think I'll use the Coconino for the flowing trails that don't have rock gardens. Based on what others have told me, the WTB KOM I23 rims might not be the best downhill bombing wheels so I might get something stronger and wider in carbon and save the WTB wheelset for gravel.
This sounds perfect. You can ride a lot of MTB trails on a gravel bike. I kinda think the gravel bike is basically an old mountain bike that you can ride on the road.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Not really what I think of as a dedicated gravel-only ride but instead an All Road type bike. I call it a MRB (Montana Road Bike) because you can't put a really good loop rode together here without some gravel and dirt.

dave

Wow, very much what I've been thinking of for my next bike... I'm biased toward ti, but this.... wow again..... You have me thinking, Dave!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:

dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Wow, very much what I've been thinking of for my next bike... I'm biased toward ti, but this.... wow again..... You have me thinking, Dave!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
It would make a great "Minnesota" road bike as well.

90% of my rides are a mix of gravel and road.

I get a new retirement bike in two years and this one just got added to the short list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
Saw your post of this on FB this morning. This thing is an absolute beauty!
Since the name of this thread is "...inspire me" -- I had to share that Dave's latest creation - the Onesto Fillet MRB Disc - inspired me to finally get on his list - sent in my deposit on Sunday -- I'm dreaming of a Onesto Fillet MRB w caliper brakes, a steel fork, and fender braze-ons, maybe some dynamo/lights considerations... Got a few months to decide.

Or maybe he'll want to just sell me the one above -- looks like it'd fit mighty nice
Old 07-03-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
This sounds perfect. You can ride a lot of MTB trails on a gravel bike. I kinda think the gravel bike is basically an old mountain bike that you can ride on the road.
Exactly, my first MTB was a Specialized Rock Hopper with a rigid steel fork in 1987. I bombed downhills, off camber tree roots, and spent quite a bit of time airborne. The Coconino Dirt Road Racer is better than that bike. I might change out the small ring for a 34 and put an 11-34 on the rear. If I can't climb in a 1:1, I'm hiking anyway.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:44 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Exactly, my first MTB was a Specialized Rock Hopper with a rigid steel fork in 1987. I bombed downhills, off camber tree roots, and spent quite a bit of time airborne. The Coconino Dirt Road Racer is better than that bike. I might change out the small ring for a 34 and put an 11-34 on the rear. If I can't climb in a 1:1, I'm hiking anyway.
I had the same year Rockhopper (Mtn Exage anyone?!) as MY 1st bike. Rode that bike all over the woods around Blacksburg, VA and had a complete blast. Was it a road bike? Not by a long stretch despite riding it back and forth to class, work, etc Basically, while I had a car, I rarely drove it.

I did indeed ride my road bike (86 C-Dale Criterium) on the easier, connecting dirt roads in the area. ...but 'gravel riding' wasn't close to being a thing. Nor was CX for that matter. Least not at Tech.

Now? Gravel is great. Mtn biking is great, but I hate driving to go riding. Road is still best for me 'cause I still live where the roads are and I still don't ride mtn bikes (29ers now tho) on the road enough to ride my rigid Superfly at the Hilly Billy.

M
Old 07-03-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
inspiration with Lake Tahoe in the distance...
That's Dagget and Heavenly in the distance. Are you at Alpine Meadows?

So that's Tinker's Knob on the right (?)

Last edited by Hindmost; 07-03-2018 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Dead reckoning
Old 07-03-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
That's Dagget and Heavenly in the distance. Are you at Alpine Meadows?
no it was off 89 bt Squaw Valley Ski area and Truckee.

Last edited by joosttx; 07-03-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Sent in my deposit on Sunday... got a few months to decide.

I raise my glass in your general direction! Can't wait to see what you decide on.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Since the name of this thread is "...inspire me" -- I had to share that Dave's latest creation - the Onesto Fillet MRB Disc - inspired me to finally get on his list - sent in my deposit on Sunday -- I'm dreaming of a Onesto Fillet MRB w caliper brakes, a steel fork, and fender braze-ons, maybe some dynamo/lights considerations... Got a few months to decide.

Or maybe he'll want to just sell me the one above -- looks like it'd fit mighty nice
This is a great move, you will not regret it. One thing I would suggest out of the custom process is to try to not get a bike that does everything. Think about what the primary use will be and get Dave to build it for that. It will still do other things just fine, but you also likely have bikes for other uses.

With my first custom (which I still love, don't get me wrong), I tried to get it to do everything (gravel riding, cross racing, light touring, fender duty). It's a great ride but certainly not a terrific race or touring bike. Luckily, my situation has me in a place where it sees fender duty half the year and fat 'cross tires the other half so it still gets a lot of use. I do sometimes find myself wishing for something a bit zippier though.

I'll be watching the process with bated breath and keeping an eye on the classifieds for what drops off in anticipation for the new one..

And a picture for good measure:

Last edited by ChristianWong; 07-04-2018 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Administrator

^^^

who built that one Christian? Looks very nice.

I second the idea of not trying to design a do-it-ALL bike. Optimize for the 90% scenario.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:55 AM

I have to say that this bike does a pretty good job at everything I’ve used it for so far. It’ll take fenders and racks and it rides nice on and off road.

I clearly have a bunch of other bikes and they are all great, but this one could truly be the only one with a couple of sets of wheels and I’d be completely happy.

That Kirk looks like a blast and I’m sure you’ll love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk