Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkfood View Post
Yes, Sam Bassetti crushed Tulsa Tough. The Elevate/KHS team is killer also. Sundays course is rough on the srpinters and they really put the pressure on Justin Williams. Sean Mcelroy from Legion got 2nd on Sunday. Couple of tough teams.

Jake
I'm not at all familiar with the USA Crit scene (let alone any, but I like to do my own research before assuming things ie. above post ) but would Legion be considered a strong team? i know they seem to dominate the socal race scene but on a national level, are they the bees knees ?
Old 06-11-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
And somewhere Coryn Rivera sheds a lone tear.
Didn’t know who she was and after a little searching I’m following her on IG. Allison Tetrick is also a fun follow.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:28 AM

Do they have any swag for purchase? I was talking with a fellow cyclist about the team's message and couldn't find anything to give them some tangible support.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:20 AM
what's a little rust?

Coryn has tees for sale on her site. Her art is flat track moto racer style.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Do they have any swag for purchase? I was talking with a fellow cyclist about the team's message and couldn't find anything to give them some tangible support.
My guess is Rapha is going to do some sort of collabo in the near future. Rapha just released a 30 sec video hyping Williams.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
My guess is Rapha is going to do some sort of collabo in the near future. Rapha just released a 30 sec video hyping Williams.
Rapha does all their kit. I suspect they were waiting on footage from Crit Nats to do the launch.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
From their IG
shirts
sweater
hoodie
Old 06-26-2019, 12:08 PM

This is pretty phenomenal. I started riding bikes as a teen in South America (Brazil), and even there it's predominantly a white people sport - although there were more blacks in the peloton than in the US.

Ultimately, i *do* have a problem with "non-white" folks in cycling: IT'S THAT THERE'S NOT ENOUGH OF THEM. Here's hoping Justin Williams changes that dynamics. He's getting a ton of good exposure, and maybe it'll excite young kids of non-white provenance. We already have plenty of latinos and asians, which is excellent, but need more blacks. Cycling is a world sport, folks. Let's make sure it gets that way.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:45 PM
Princess Sweat

Every time I hear Justin Williams I think Justin Wilson

Old 06-26-2019, 12:53 PM

It's interesting that Legion, unlike CNCPT, is a better team because they've recruited white riders. Justin is a smart kid.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Let me caveat what I'm about to say with I applaud all of it.

But for the sake of discussion, what's different with this as opposed to what Rahsaan Bahati has been doing for nigh on 20 years now?
If you're from LA, then you know that Bahati kind of spawned Justin Williams and that entire crew. Bahati was the gen before him and the Bahati racing guys ushered in African American cycling to a larger degree in LA. Major Motion is another cycling club that has a huge contingency of Black cyclists..

Justin Williams talked about Bahati in an old interview. Rahsaan was around when Facebook was popular, Justin is in the Twitter/Instagram/Prolly website/Rapha drone video era. Two totally different social media avenues for exposure and building a brand..

As a teenager, Williams got to know Rahsaan Bahati, who raced against his father, dated a cousin and became a fixture around his apartment. That relationship really opened his eyes to possibilities he had never contemplated before. “It was impossible not to be inspired by Rahsaan,” Williams says. “I mean, he was going to races in Europe, doing things that made me aware of this entirely different world than the one I was in
Old 06-26-2019, 02:13 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
It's interesting that Legion, unlike CNCPT, is a better team because they've recruited white riders. Justin is a smart kid.
ignorant.
Find out what CNCPT is about, what Legion is about.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
ignorant.
Find out what CNCPT is about, what Legion is about.
I know CNCPT was a development team with 2s and 3s. They just weren't developing any white kids. Which is fine as there are fewer low SES white kids in Southern California. Anyway, it was a comment on a type of reverse inclusiveness.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
His racing age this year is 30. He hasn't been a kid for a long time.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:43 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
I know CNCPT was a development team with 2s and 3s. They just weren't developing any white kids. Which is fine as there are fewer low SES white kids in Southern California. Anyway, it was a comment on a type of reverse inclusiveness.
Troll