Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 08:36 AM

Good 700x30c or 700x32c tires - Looking for recommendations

I am building up an light weight OPEN MIN.D road bike that accommodates up to 32c (maybe even bigger) tires. I want to make this bike a all purpose road bike that could handle all kind of paved surfaces, and maybe even occasional detour through some packed gravel roads. I bought a pair of Conti GP5000TL 32c version, and then realized my ENVE Foundation 45 wheels aren't compatible with them because the rims are hookless. So back to square one, looking for recommendations for tires that are at least 30-32mm wide, relatively light weight (<350g), have good puncture protection, low rolling resistance, and can be used with hookless tubeless rims. So far, I have these on my list (all tubeless):

- Schwalbe Pro One TLE 30c
- Vittoria Corse Control G2 30c
- Panaracer GravelKing SS 32c
- Schwalbe G One Speed 30c
- ENVE Road 29 or 31c

Anyone has suggestions for others, or have experience with the tires listed above?
Old 09-25-2020, 08:45 AM

I’ve ridden a few of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalava View Post
I am building up an light weight OPEN MIN.D road bike that accommodates up to 32c (maybe even bigger) tires. I want to make this bike a all purpose road bike that could handle all kind of paved surfaces, and maybe even occasional detour through some packed gravel roads. I bought a pair of Conti GP5000TL 32c version, and then realized my ENVE Foundation 45 wheels aren't compatible with them because the rims are hookless. So back to square one, looking for recommendations for tires that are at least 30-32mm wide, relatively light weight (<350g), have good puncture protection, low rolling resistance, and can be used with hookless tubeless rims. So far, I have these on my list (all tubeless):

- Schwalbe Pro One TLE 30c. No.
- Vittoria Corse Control G2 30c. Yes.
- Panaracer GravelKing SS 32c Yes.
- Schwalbe G One Speed 30c No.
- ENVE Road 29 or 31c

Anyone has suggestions for others, or have experience with the tires listed above?
If you want volume, go with Panaracer. The “Plus” is a great tire.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:51 AM

I have run the gravel king ss and sk, and wasn't super impressed with them, they felt wooden and not very lively.

It's not on your list but I am over the moon with the 700x32 rene herse stampede pass extralight. it's lively, grippy, corners well, and handles fine hardpack gravel/dirt competently.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:

- ENVE Road 29 or 31c

I recently picked up some 700x30 Schwalbe One tires for my Trek Madone and so far I like them. I have older narrow rims (Campy Protons) on my wheels, but the tires still seem to work well!! For about $26, they’re a good deal too:

https://www.backcountry.com/schwalbe...h3YWxiZSBvbmU=

Good Luck!
Old 09-25-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbek View Post
I have run the gravel king ss and sk, and wasn't super impressed with them, they felt wooden and not very lively.
What pressure are you running them at?

Makes a difference, at least for me.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbek View Post

It's not on your list but I am over the moon with the 700x32 rene herse stampede pass extralight. it's lively, grippy, corners well, and handles fine hardpack gravel/dirt competently.
I bought those, then realized they are NOT tubeless, so they are not compatible with the hookless ENVE I have. I ran Rene Herse Barlow Pass on my gravel bike and love them!
Old 09-25-2020, 09:16 AM

OP, I think of those choices, the best for the road would be the Vittoria Controls. They might not be great for gravel though, as the deep grooves of the tread could get little sharp gravel bits lodged in them and work into flats. I tried those Gravel Kings in 32mm, and found them sluggish, and actually slower than Schwalbe One 40mm. If it were me, I'd give the Pirelli 4S in 30mm a go.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:23 AM

I've had a good experience with Schwalbe G One Speeds. I run them tubeless and find them very smooth rolling with great cornering grip.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:24 AM

I am running Gravel King SS+ on my Enve 3.4AR wheels.

For pavement, I run 28 psi and for gravel I run 25 psi or less.

Very comfortable.

Not light but great puncture resistance.

(this review just came out https://theradavist.com/2020/09/a-re...avelking-tire/ )
Old 09-25-2020, 09:29 AM

Corsa Controls. Got me through chunks of Roubaix with no issues. Great tires.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:09 AM
formerly Landshark_98

If you can live with tubes, then any of the Rene Herse tires, particularly in extralight casing. Haven't found an equal (although I haven't ridden all of those).
Old 09-25-2020, 11:11 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Are these also on ENVE's list??

Quote:
So far, I have these on my list (all tubeless):

- ENVE Road 29 or 31c

Old 09-25-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:

- ENVE Road 29 or 31c

The best riding of those listed will probably be the TLEs but they are not very puncture-resistant.

Same experiences as others with the GK's, they just felt sluggish on multiple setups.

No real reviews yet of the Enve tires, although they're made Tufo which does not have the best reputation. Maybe they've gotten their act together to partner with Enve, but only time and experience will tell.

So that leaves either the G-One Speeds or possibly something like the Pirelli Cinturato Velo?
https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/...d-tyre-review/
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...rato-velo-2018
Old 09-25-2020, 11:36 AM

Schwable

Schwable Pro One 700x30 are my favorite of that group.
I also like the GP5000 but you said that you can't use them. GP5000 is kind of heavy (If you are going for lightweight).

Vittoria rides nice- But much harder to mount and seat.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
The best riding of those listed will probably be the TLEs but they are not very puncture-resistant.

Same experiences as others with the GK's, they just felt sluggish on multiple setups.

No real reviews yet of the Enve tires, although they're made Tufo which does not have the best reputation. Maybe they've gotten their act together to partner with Enve, but only time and experience will tell.

So that leaves either the G-One Speeds or possibly something like the Pirelli Cinturato Velo?
https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/...d-tyre-review/
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...rato-velo-2018
Alas... the Pirellis are NOT compatible according to ENVE for their hookless rims