Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2017, 03:33 PM

Doing my outdoor aerobic rides based on NP, not average watts. That was a game changer, and a "duh" moment for me as the light bulb went on.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:43 PM

1. Tubeless tires. The majority of road flats around here are due to small pieces of wire from shredded tires. Tubeless means I don't get those flats anymore.
2. Gravel riding. I even got a new bike dedicated to gravel riding. Very few cars, quiet routes, and the people I encounter on organized rides are self sufficient good riders.
3. Year round riding. I have a spin bike gathering dust. I put lights on the gravel bike and ride through the winter, even if it's just 15-20 miles after work. My neighborhood backs up the a really nice trail system.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Went and spectated at the New Haven Grand Prix, and suddenly the fire to get into racing shape again was lit. I've covered 1095 miles since that day, 1836 ytd, after a 263 mile 2016, a 422 mile 2015, and a 1278 mile 2014. So i'm like 100 miles out from beating my combined last three years worth of mileage.

I also lost upwards of 70 lbs, so while my power was zapped from the three years of non-riding, I'm faster than I was previously. Helps with the psyche, if nothing else. Now to get the power back up and I'll be very happy.
The New Haven Grand Prix was great this year! (spoiler: its great every year!) Also, kudos! That's amazing!
Old 11-22-2017, 03:59 PM

Still being alive and in decent form.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:00 PM

The good:

- Staying dedicating to riding over other forms of endurance sport has meant lots of miles and steadily improving form over the year. When I'm on and feeling good, I'm riding better than I ever have. And that has me pretty hopeful for a solid year of doing some races and events in 2018.
- This place. 2,652 posts since January - yikes! It's kept my interest rolling and allowed me to tour through bunch of bikes I never would have sampled or explored if it weren't for being here with the huddled and enabling masses. It's been nice to become a part of the community and virtually meet a lot of really good people.

and the not so good:

- I've been struggling a bit with my health recently due to some mixture of sleep apnea and I don't know what. My recovery has been total ****e and I feel like my brain has been working less and less better the past few months to the point where I'm having a hard time keeping focused at work, feel constantly tired, etc. I don't know what's going on, but I'm going to see a nutrionist next week, and will hopefully have the results of an overnight sleep-study soon. My judgement has been off and I generally feel like I have the stupids...just not seeing things I usually would, missing stuff, lacking motivation, etc. It's weird.

Anyway, I have a lot to be thankful for - and am looking forward to a few days off, riding when I can, and sleeping when I can't...

Last edited by Clean39T; 11-22-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:19 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasfast View Post
Average speed, while a simple calculation, rarely tells the story of the ride. You can have portions that are flat out and others that are soft pedaling yet get the same "average speed" as a simple steady state effort.

After quite a while, all the numbers are just that and are not a reflection of our merit or capabilities in any real sense.
I wish you could explain that to the people around here.

IME 'average' anythings are worthless metrics.

M
Old 11-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

After five or six years of wanting an IF Club Racer, I finally bought one after finding a great deal on my size (and the perfect color) in the classifieds. It is two pounds heavier than my race bike, but the combination of geometry, getting the front end up a bit, and wide rims with wide tires is remarkable.

The road use to beat me up, especially when I'm in bad shape and don't stretch as well, but not anymore. This bike feels like it is floating over the ground, and is super stable at 50 mph to boot. I can't believe I didn't just buy one new 5 years ago.

Now, I wonder how it would feel in Ti? hmm.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:11 PM
cnighbor2

What makes a real difference to your cycling life this year?

What makes a real difference to your cycling life this year?
Recovering from yet another car and me on a bicycle meeting at 12 mph
Old 11-22-2017, 06:38 PM

Two things:
  1. Losing 30 lbs. I wasn't all that heavy (6'3 and 192) but life is better in the low 160's.
  2. Finally admitting that I'm on the "core strengthening" train for life. Used to be I'd get periodic back pain, do core strengthening until it went away then quit. Now it's just something I do. I feel better for it.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
Two things:
  1. Losing 30 lbs. I wasn't all that heavy (6'3 and 192) but life is better in the low 160's.
  2. Finally admitting that I'm on the "core strengthening" train for life. Used to be I'd get periodic back pain, do core strengthening until it went away then quit. Now it's just something I do. I feel better for it.
What's your routine?
Old 11-22-2017, 06:47 PM

riding more has made the biggest difference, sound like a smart ass remark but it is true, riding more made all the riding more fun.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:12 PM

1. Moving out of Seattle back in to the country, which means miles and miles of uncrowded tarmac.

2. Not riding... As in, allowing myself to enjoy other hobbies and time with people, which also makes the times I do ride more enjoyable.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
What's your routine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
Two things:
Also interested...

6'3" here also - currently have snuck back up into the upper 170s, and life was was better in the low 170s - have only seen upper 160s once in the last decade, but want to see that again in 2018 if I can get there or under healthily.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
What's your routine?
Don't know if you're asking about weight loss or core strengthening so I'll answer both.

The weight loss was sort of the usual stuff: no alcohol, smaller portions, etc., until I got to my target weight and now I try to adjust my intake to correspond with my activity level. This sounds simple but I found it to be pretty hard to do in practice. Simplistically, on days that I don't ride I try to eat less and/or no alcohol. My weight generally fluctuates +- 2 lbs. If it goes up more than 2 lbs I eat less until it's back where I want it. Like the core strengthening I've finally realized it's something I have to pay constant attention to.

Core strengthening routine is also short and simple:

2 x (25 bicycles, 90 secs bridge, 30 seconds hamstring stretch, 30 seconds foam roller on hamstrings and calves, 2 minutes plank)

I do that 3 times a week, usually just after riding. Takes 10 minutes or so.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:30 PM

To add to my previous reply. My weight and activity level is such that if I pay no attention to it at all it'll remain exactly the same until I'm off the bike for more than a week then boom: +5 lbs. That becomes the new "normal" and I'll stay there indefinitely until another period of time off the bike then boom: +5 lbs. This process repeated itself over a period of 3-4 years and my weight went from 165 to 195 lbs when I finally called a halt and got back to my current weight.

As I said previously, I finally realized it's something I have to pay constant attention to. If I'm off the bike for more than a few days I have to adjust my intake.

I expect I'm not unique in this.