Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2017, 06:52 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

OT: Samsung Galaxy S8 users?

I have two lines and carry two different phones. I have used iPhones the last couple of years, but I’m thinking of trying an S8 for one of my lines.

Anyone unhappy with their Samsung S8??
Old 11-22-2017, 07:04 AM

I went from a iPhone 6 to an S8. Short form answer:

Cons:

Android is buggy.
Bixby is annoying. I haven't found a way to disable the button.
My carrier (Sprint) buries the voicemail icon in their apps folder, making me search for it.
The Samsung bloatware eventually starts going wiggy, eating up resources, requiring a reboot instead of killing off apps as they blow up.
I don't use the edge features so they're more of a PITA, like when using the keyboard. Which reminds me, the Samsung keyboard sucks, use the Google keyboard.
Sometimes it's too slow to switch from portrait to landscape, other times it's too fast. Go figure.

Pros:

The screen is excellent. Better than the 6.
The camera is also very good.
Battery life is the best I've ever had in a phone.
Rapid charging, wireless and wired, works very well.
It integrates well with Android Auto and Waze. This is the #1 reason I'm renting this phone. Having Waze on my NEX screen in the car is incredibly valuable. The hands-free "push one button" approach works well.
USB-C is a better connection than Micro-USB.
The cell radios are really good, better than the 6. I get more bars for longer periods along my standard commute.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:11 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post

Cons:

Android is buggy.
My carrier (Sprint) buries the voicemail icon in their apps folder, making me search for it.
The Samsung bloatware eventually starts going wiggy, eating up resources, requiring a reboot instead of killing off apps as they blow up.
I don't use the edge features so they're more of a PITA, like when using the keyboard. Which reminds me, the Samsung keyboard sucks, use the Google keyboard.
Sometimes it's too slow to switch from portrait to landscape, other times it's too fast. Go figure.

Pros:

The screen is excellent. Better than the 6.
The camera is also very good.
Battery life is the best I've ever had in a phone.
Rapid charging, wireless and wired, works very well.
It integrates well with Android Auto and Waze. This is the #1 reason I'm renting this phone. Having Waze on my NEX screen in the car is incredibly valuable. The hands-free "push one button" approach works well.
USB-C is a better connection than Micro-USB.
The cell radios are really good, better than the 6. I get more bars for longer periods along my standard commute.
Thanks for the information. I buy my phones used as I tend to get bored with them and it’s a much smaller hit not paying full price. I’m using an iPhone 7 Plus right now that I bought last month from gazelle.com.

I’m primarily interested in the S8 because of the screen size, battery life and because the dialer app on Samsung is one of the few android dialer apps I like using. And I am bored with my iPhone 6...
Old 11-22-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post

Cons:

I have had the last 3 versions. Thought I would miss the home button from 7 to 8, but it is a great phone.

You can move the voicemail icon and you can disable the Bixby and also reassign it.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:54 AM
aka RAEKWON

Personally the only android phone I would get would be a google pixel. And specially coming from an iphone.

I am about to go to the store to pick one up for my wife. She had a couple samsungs before but now she has has only nexus and pixel
Old 11-22-2017, 09:29 AM

Don't have the S8 but I've had a few prior generation Galaxy phones. I like them because they were the last to drop the removable battery (but they finally did away with that) and they still have a Micro-SD slot (I think the S6 skipped that and people raised hell.)

What I don't like is that Samsung locks their bootloader, even on their "unlocked" phones, making it extremely difficult if not impossible to root or flash custom ROMs. Android can be good if it's not loaded down with company-mandated bloatware, which it always is.

I feel like it would be like buying a bike and not being able to change the crankset because the manufacturer feels like they know what's best. Sure, I have to buy a crankset that is compatible with the particular bottom bracket interface, but if I want to go aftermarket I can.

Anyway I have resisted apple products for years because of personal preference and I think their pricing is wack. But I might actually buy an iPhone to replace my S5, which is getting increasingly unusable these days.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:25 AM

Subscribing so I can learn.

I'm sick and tired of my iPhone and the disaster that is/was iOS11/iOS11.1/11.1.1/11.1.2
Old 11-22-2017, 12:02 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I'm on a Google Pixel (gen 1) if you'r going to try android, try this one. Every other manufacturer is going to pile on their own apps except on the pixel. This is the first android phone I didn't root because of all the extra crap I didn't like.

As far as day-to-day use, I find it very easy to use similar to the iphone 6 and 5 I had prior. Similar in that things are different but all of my apps are within two taps, swiping is different but really everything is as easy to use.

I went with the pixel because of the camera and video stabilization. My experience with the camera has been head and shoulders above the iphone 6. Yes, there is now the iphone x/8/7 but the camera on the pixel is really, really good.

Even on my iphone i've been a Google services guy (photos, email, calendar, etc) I never converted to apple stuff. Google services work on every platform and I didn't want my photo storage to be limited by the hardware I was using.

Android vs Apple is a wonderful internet debate that will continue forever. Coke Pepsi. Campy Shimano. Tabs Spaces. Hard Shell Soft shell tacos. There is no right answer and the more information you seek out, the more information you'll find. None of which ever helps you make up your mind.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Subscribing so I can learn.

I'm sick and tired of my iPhone and the disaster that is/was iOS11/iOS11.1/11.1.1/11.1.2
What has been disastrous about the latest updates? I don't love some of the changes but I've adapted.

Still running a 4-year old iPhone 5S and while it's a bit laggy at times, it's still fundamentally a good device.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
What has been disastrous about the latest updates? I don't love some of the changes but I've adapted.

Still running a 4-year old iPhone 5S and while it's a bit laggy at times, it's still fundamentally a good device.
Roughly 25 of the well documented 37 issues listed in link below. But aside from lagging and buggy, (which i can deal with) my main beef is the battery suck and yes i've done all steps to fix but to no avail

https://www.imobie.com/support/ios-1...-solutions.htm

Glad it's working for you though.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:28 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

I like Google phones. I still have an old Nexus 4 and I had a Nexus 5. I still don’t like the dialer app...
Old 11-22-2017, 07:01 PM

I'm coming from Blackberry. My phone quit on me and my carrier didn't have any BB phones to sell me.
I like the battery on the S8 Active. It's almost as good as my old BB phone. FAR better than my old Samsung phone had. I chuckle when my co-workers charge their iPhones twice a day. Really?
I prefer the calendar on my BB to this calendar. I prefer my BB contacts too.

I like the active Health app that comes with this S8 Active phone and my carrier had a special that allowed me to buy the S3 watch for $50 and I have been keeping more active as a result.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 PM

I had the Google pixel for something like 3 days before I took it back to the store and switched to an S7. The phone itself was fine and the fingerprint sensor at the center of the back was genius. But I couldn't stand the ginormous Google app icon on the front page which I could not remove or move.
I switch from Apple to Android 5 years ago and couldn't be happier even with all the Samsung bloatware. I see my wife with her brand new iPhone trying to deal with all the mandatory updates and I am continually reminded why I got so fed up with that universe
Old 11-22-2017, 07:59 PM
but not really

I have an iPhone 7 for work and Pixel for personal use. I have yet to find anything I like about the iPhone. I would throw it out if my company would release an Android version of our app already.

The finger print sensor on Pixel is so much better and better placed
The keyboard is more accurate. How the hell does anyone tolerate the iPhone keyboard with no long press shortcuts???
Camera and video is great
I love the Google feed and home screen shortcut
Not having to see every app on my home screen sure is nice. Oh, hey, look at that nice wallpaper!

Oh, and I don't subscribe to the Apple eco system, no Apple watch, not an iTunes music user, not a Mac user.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
I have an iPhone 7 for work and Pixel for personal use. I have yet to find anything I like about the iPhone. I would throw it out if my company would release an Android version of our app already.

The finger print sensor on Pixel is so much better and better placed
The keyboard is more accurate. How the hell does anyone tolerate the iPhone keyboard with no long press shortcuts???
Camera and video is great
I love the Google feed and home screen shortcut
Not having to see every app on my home screen sure is nice. Oh, hey, look at that nice wallpaper!

Oh, and I don't subscribe to the Apple eco system, no Apple watch, not an iTunes music user, not a Mac user.
tee hee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill-gates-smiling.jpg (31.5 KB, 29 views)