Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2017, 06:54 PM

The High Cost of Water Bottles

I am pretty used to getting sh*t from friends and others because I have a lot of Rapha gear. I like their branding (or lack there of) and their kit fits me really well.

But in a recent thread, someone complained about a $30 Rapha bottle and my head exploded a little. I've been to several Rapha shops and pop-ups both here in the States and abroad. In those visits, including one to Boulder about a month ago, I did not see a $30 bottle. If searching the Rapha site, there are $11 and $14 bottles and there is a "bundle" of 2 bottles for $20. Reasonable.

This weekend I was in Portland and visited the Chrome store downtown. I was shocked to see that their water bottle was $20. Outrageous!

And to put some things in perspective, Twin Six sells their bottles (the same as Chrome) for $10 and $12.

Oddly enough, Assos, another super high end cycling clothing company that people love to hate, has the cheapest water bottles, just $6 or $7 depending on which one you want (both 500ml).

My point is, this complaint/rant can be applied to bike frames, jerseys, bibs, gloves, etc. I am really sick and tired of hearing people complain about Rapha when they really have no f*cking idea what they are talking about.

Reroute the angst and anger towards something else. Be happy that you are riding your bike. Be happy that you are healthy enough to do it. Be happy that your life gives you the time to do it.

And damn it, stay hydrated.

Last edited by dbnm; 11-13-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:05 PM
Lanterne rouge

Yeah.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 004508D2-CB79-4233-96AD-F4C03394424E.jpeg (43.0 KB, 1087 views)
Old 11-13-2017, 07:07 PM

Agreed. I'm buy different kits but Rapha is my go to for comfort and style. I've never understood riding a thousands of dollar bike and going cheap on bibs when that's your first point of contact.

I buy a lot of bottles because i like different designs and I def don't consider Rapha to be a splurge as far as bottles go.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:11 PM
aka RAEKWON

on a different note. Rolled by rapha in NYC because I needed some knee warmers. I also had flatted that day so I needed a tube. They had some by the counter, I looked at it and chuckled, as in, what is this, a $20 tube. But I needed one so I picked it up to see how much it was. $6.... Turns out, its the cheapest tube you can buy in this area (Soho, expensive area, rent is very high, I don't even know how there are still bike shops here). I bought a bontrager tube a couple days before that and it was $8.

Anyways.... lets make this 23 pages!
Old 11-13-2017, 07:13 PM
Administrator

we are in a golden age for cycling IMO.

almost everything is excellent. from Tiagra to Super Record. From allez to s-works, it's all very good, and the choices abound.

cyclists complain about cost for the sake of conversation IMO, no big deal. if one is unhappy with how much something costs, there is almost always a lower cost, decent alternative, across the board.

hell, i've used disposable water bottles for weeks when travelling sometimes!

Old 11-13-2017, 07:19 PM

I thought this thread was going to be about this:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...climate-change
Old 11-13-2017, 07:22 PM

Aren’t they all made by Specialized anyways?
Old 11-13-2017, 07:25 PM

The rapha bottles are camelback bottles. Not as squishy as the specialized but i like the nozzles better.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:27 PM

How about a $43 The Radavist water bottle!
Old 11-13-2017, 07:27 PM

"Pass The Grey Poupon"
Old 11-13-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
we are in a golden age for cycling IMO.

almost everything is excellent. from Tiagra to Super Record. From allez to s-works, it's all very good, and the choices abound.

cyclists complain about cost for the sake of conversation IMO, no big deal. if one is unhappy with how much something costs, there is almost always a lower cost, decent alternative, across the board.

hell, i've used disposable water bottles for weeks when travelling sometimes!

Just wanted to point out those are recyclable H2O bottles, there is very little that is disposable and biodegradable about them, they are going to be with us for a long time!

I do however applaud you more than one time use!

Last edited by m_sasso; 11-13-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:35 PM

Ten years ago I bought a bunch of Specialized bottles from a bike shop in my hometown because their logo wasn't too ugly and they sold them for $2.99. Now it is hard to find the basic Spesh bottle for less than $8, even with some lousy crap advertising which will get all scratched up in short order. I really don't get it when you can buy a drink in a bottle containing just about as much material for under $2.

BTW, I rented a mountain bike in Gengenbach (Black Forest, Germany) last year and needed a bottle. They had a huge bin of nice bottles for less than two euros - mine has the logos of Alpina, which is a helmet brand we don't seem to get in the US.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:38 PM
DELETE ACCNT

bidons, tubes and tires are the equivalent of candy bars at a grocery store checkout; some use it as an opportunity to make a few extra dollars profit.

Rapha has higher profit margins on their entire line, and may just see these items as advertising, not as profit making items. They are not in the bidon and innertube business.

Then again, Rapha's repair kit (tube, patches and levers) is $70 and they also sell a $220 allen key set...

I agree with AngryScientist, there are excellent options at various pricepoints so there is no reason to complain.

Rapha's bidons are made by Camelbak
Old 11-13-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
Yeah.
Or basically paceline
Old 11-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Just wanted to point out those are recyclable H2O bottles, there is very little that is disposable and biodegradable about them, they are going to be with us for a long time!

I do however applaud you more than one time use!
I recycle. Unfortunatelly, finding water bottles made out of vegan leather is hard these days.