Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
i dont know enough about this whole topic to really have a view on it.

i know alot of women who race locally, that i've asked, have no issues with racing against transgender women. its not like they are showing up and ripping legs off other women.

good for her.
being WC. just brings more light to the subject.
In her case, it actually is, at least when it doesnt involve aerobic efforts. Her physiological advantages are real and solely due to having been beneficiary of formerly high testosterone levels.

Having her compete is fine, but we should not pretend that she’d be where she is right now had she transitioned in her teens (cf. as someone in her 30s). Morally, she did not cheat, but physiologically, it’s as if she’s been on T for more than a decade, all without the negative consequences that comes with an e tended regimen of T
Old 10-15-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
Science disagrees. There are rigorous standards for hormonal levels of trans participants that are set by the IOC - many, in fact, feel that they are an extremely conservative overreach to more than ensure that it's NOT unfair competition. The 101 version is that hormonal transition results in loss of physiological benefits (bone density and musculature) that are associated with testosterone and androgen (male hormones).
Are these levels tested just like a PED test?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:03 AM

Male and Female anatomy is different, Males hold almost every absolute world record for sports. The reason we have female sports is so that they do not have to compete with male bodies. Even in the cases when some lower level of testosterone is required to compete that realistically does not make up for the years of male levels you have benefited from (this is obviously a grey area and I am talking about averages not specific people/cases).

I have no idea what is "fair" in these situations. I do not believe that the people involved have bad motives. If we go down the full gender fluidity route I think we may just end up with no gender divisions in sports.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:04 AM

The article the OP linked to is a disgrace.

For a better and more nuanced view on the situation at hand read this article which compares the differing views of two transgender female cyclists, one of whom was the UCI winner:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ess/995434001/

My $.02, which counts for even less than that, is if the rules were followed as set by the UCI congrats on her victory. And for those who are confused about the UCI's transgender rules, read below:

https://www.usacycling.org/about-us/...thletes-policy
Old 10-15-2018, 11:09 AM

I don't know what the IOC/UCI's rules are, but this article illustrates that there still needs to be a lot of research into these questions.

Fact is, she was allowed to race - so she is the champion. And hey! She's Canadian! Woot.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomateo View Post
Are these levels tested just like a PED test?
Not exactly - a PED test involves USADA approaching you after an event. For this purposes, athletes submit tests from qualified medical personnel.

Despite that difference, trans women are subjected to far more testing than other participants. Nobody else has to prove what their hormone levels are before being allowed to compete. USAC's policy, which is based on the IOC's, states:

• The athlete must demonstrate that her total testosterone level in serum has been below 10 nmol/L for at least 12 months prior to her first competition (with the requirement for any longer period to be based on a confidential case-by-case evaluation, considering whether or not 12 months is a sufficient length of time to minimize any advantage in women’s competition).
  • The athlete's total testosterone level in serum must remain below 10 nmol/L throughout the period of desired eligibility to compete in the female category.
  • Compliance with these conditions may be monitored by random or for-cause testing. In the event of non-compliance, the athlete’s eligibility for female competition will be suspended for 12 months.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
The article the OP linked to is a disgrace.

For a better and more nuanced view on the situation at hand read this article which compares the differing views of two transgender female cyclists, one of whom was the UCI winner:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ess/995434001/

My $.02, which counts for even less than that, is if the rules were followed as set by the UCI congrats on her victory. And for those who are confused about the UCI's transgender rules, read below:

This part should also not be overlooked. Cyclingtips did a much more level-headed and nuanced piece on the issue (though not on her winning the medals)
Old 10-15-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
Science disagrees. There are rigorous standards for hormonal levels of trans participants that are set by the IOC - many, in fact, feel that they are an extremely conservative overreach to more than ensure that it's NOT unfair competition. The 101 version is that hormonal transition results in loss of physiological benefits (bone density and musculature) that are associated with previous exposure to male hormones.
I don’t know nearly enough to have an opinion. I am quite happy deferring to those that do, and I certainly have no interest in insulting, belittling or attacking her.

Last edited by Aaron O; 10-15-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
<snip>

case closed. anything else is opinion.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:20 AM
#BLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
No surprise, given that that site is part of The Daily Caller
Yeah, could you find a better link to a real new site please?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:23 AM
Classics Fan

Sex determination is complicated, and the biological causes of transsexuality are not completely understood. I'd expect that as we understand more about the causes, we'll have a better idea whether hormone levels should be the gold standard for ruling an individual out of competition.

I think it is all we've got right now, but it seems (to me) to be a fairly blunt instrument given that every situation has its own biological and psychological underpinnings, and seems quite complex.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:38 AM

The transgender person competing in sports thing is a dog whistle topic that usually just serves to rile people up.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:47 AM

Eyeroll at that podium pic. Sure, great job there.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
This part should also not be overlooked. Cyclingtips did a much more level-headed and nuanced piece on the issue (though not on her winning the medals)
+1

The seeming increase in pot-stirring around here is unfortunate.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:08 PM

Of all the sites to link to this story, you chose that one? Hnmmmmmm.....
Closed Thread