Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Proton's are nice too. I just saw a beautiful new-looking set of Protons sell on ebay for almost nothing. I would have grabbed them but they don't go up to 11.
Are you sure about this? I thought all the 9 and 10 speed Campy hubs can take an 11 speed cassette. I know that the Shamals and Eurus do, from personal experience.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchez View Post
Are you sure about this? I thought all the 9 and 10 speed Campy hubs can take an 11 speed cassette. I know that the Shamals and Eurus do, from personal experience.
They will take everything up to 12 speed
Old 09-30-2018, 04:31 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
I could be wrong! Rats I should have grabbed them. I heard somewhere they didn't though.. My old silver 9 speed shamal's don't work with 11, the back of the cassette hits the spokes.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:43 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
If it has a HPW hub, like 1997 Shamal, where the FHB sits deep into hub shell, straight pull spokes, flattened at hub, they are not.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
It is my understanding that the Campy Electrons also won’t go beyond 10 speed. Something about the freehub body not extending far enough. I’m currently running Campy Proton wheels with Chorus 12-29 11 speed cassette on a Sram Etap drivetrain and it shifts flawlessly. It is my understanding that if you can fit 11 speed cassettes, then 12 isn’t a problem.

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!

Last edited by bfd; 09-30-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:32 PM
commuter racer

That makes sense, my proton's had hubs more like my 2001 Zonda's, which looked like record OS hubs.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
You're still doing that? I'll be in touch!

You rebuilt a couple of sets of levers for me years ago!
Yup, for levers even into the 'Gumby' era altho those need very little service since no springs or spring carriers to break..still one day turnaround.

cp51errc@gmail.com
Old 10-01-2018, 07:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
What wears out on new style hood Centaur 10's 2010 Ultra (carbon wrapped blades)? Not Power TQ. Got some on a bike been using for 6-7 years, and they still work good. Do you (OP) stock any parts for them?
Yes, see above but nothing to really wear out or break(Ultrashift..all 'Gumby starting in 2009...SR/Record/Chorus 2009-present...Centaur, Veloce, Athena, etc, became 'PowerShift in 2011..much improved in 2015(droopy thumb button) but those really can't be 'repaired..
Old 10-01-2018, 09:08 AM

Thanks.....Yeah.....just bought a pair of 10's Veloce shifters with "droopy" buttons (real cheap $), haven't mounted them, but the action feels real precise. I never "dump" gears (bike not set up like that), so I think the newer Power Shift works like my Ultra Shift.

When/if my 2010 10's Centaur Ultra Shift die, will send them to you.

Also got 2011 10's Power Shift on a travel bike with Triple Campy Stuff. Really like how that works. Push button and "wham", front shifts. Get it adjusted right....no need to ever trim FD. Prefer that over ratchet of Ultra.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Thanks.....Yeah.....just bought a pair of 10's Veloce shifters with "droopy" buttons (real cheap $), haven't mounted them, but the action feels real precise. I never "dump" gears (bike not set up like that), so I think the newer Power Shift works like my Ultra Shift.

When/if my 2010 10's Centaur Ultra Shift die, will send them to you.

Also got 2011 Power Shift on a travel bike with Triple Campy Stuff. Really like how that works. Push button and "wham", front shifts. Get it adjusted right....no need to ever trim FD. Prefer that over ratchet of Ultra.
Might be a while for them to die..I have the innards to convert to 11s, BTW..
Old 10-01-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Might be a while for them to die..I have the innards to convert to 11s, BTW..
That's what we will do when I switch a bike to 11's. Which 11's, newer or older 11's? Imagine older 11's work good with some early 11's Athena RD's.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxwel8 View Post
I’m working on buying a bike with a campy groupset. I’ve never dealt with this brand at all. It’s a 10 speed groupset. Are there any differences I should consider when purchasing wheels, in comparison to when you use shimano? Are wheels usually compatible with both brands?
I just picked up a project bike that was running 10sp Ultegra, but I want to run 11sp Record/Chorus parts. I have Easton EA90RTs on it now, but finding a Campy compatible freehub to replace the Shimano piece has been a *****. I just bought some Campy Zondas to replace them. Less than $400 from Chain Reaction and ProBikeKit right now. We'll see how they look when they arrive.

I may keep the Eastons and run them with an 11sp Shimano cassette (11sp groups work with 11sp cassettes).

Good luck!
Old 10-01-2018, 06:22 PM

Thanks everyone for the reply. If I end up buying the bike I think I will go with the Zondas. That is if I don’t start from the ground up and sell the campy groupset
Old 10-01-2018, 09:29 PM

Wiggle has Campy Nuetron Ultras for a bit over $600.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxwel8 View Post
Thanks everyone for the reply. If I end up buying the bike I think I will go with the Zondas. That is if I don’t start from the ground up and sell the campy groupset
Like others said, Zonda are a great value, probably the best value, for Campagnolo wheels, new or used. Shamal, Eurus, or Zonda are all super. I would probably recommend to not go below Zonda (ie Scirocco, etc.) though if you intend to keep the wheels for many years.

Older (so non-G3) Neutron/Nucleon were also excellent, and really beautiful wheels, especially if you can find really mint or even better NOS.