Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Replace a 9/10 speed DT shifter innards with the innards from some Shimano Dura Ace 9000 SL-BSR1 11 Speed Bar End Shifters.
Holy balls, mind blown! Do you have a tutorial you followed or any more info? I may want to do this fairly soon.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:35 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Holy balls, mind blown! Do you have a tutorial you followed or any more info? I may want to do this fairly soon.
There is a tutorial here on paceline, written by look585
Old 10-15-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
There is a tutorial here on paceline, written by look585
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Not my idea (credit to Ira Ryan / Breadwinner Cycles for "prior art"). I simply reverse engineered the process and posted the instructions.

11s DA Downtube Shifter Conversion
Old 10-15-2018, 01:44 PM

A weird blind spot in my bike/riding history is I have owned (still own, exclusively) "brifter" bikes and DT bikes, but not indexed DT bikes. I don't miss friction DT, but maybe I need to give this newfangled indexed DT thing a whirl.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look585 View Post
Not my idea (credit to Ira Ryan / Breadwinner Cycles for "prior art"). I simply reverse engineered the process and posted the instructions.

11s DA Downtube Shifter Conversion
Thanks!
Old 10-15-2018, 03:31 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by velofinds View Post
A weird blind spot in my bike/riding history is I have owned (still own, exclusively) "brifter" bikes and DT bikes, but not indexed DT bikes. I don't miss friction DT, but maybe I need to give this newfangled indexed DT thing a whirl.
I know you shorter than me but always welcome to try mine to see what all the kids are talking about
Old 10-15-2018, 05:53 PM

Great for retro builds, but haven't most frame producers eliminated the DT bosses these days?
Old 10-15-2018, 07:37 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post
Great for retro builds, but haven't most frame producers eliminated the DT bosses these days?
yep, a dumb move imo

Its nice to have options and man do I have some of these integrated cable stops
Old 10-15-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
well, film is much better than digital, everyone knows that. Vinyl is much better than CDS or MP3s...

but for real, its a lot of fun. Will not replace my other shifters but I love the variety
You are correct about vinyl. But I shot film for over 30 years and I had a complete darkroom and developed everything myself except Kodachrome of course. I can tell you that film doesn't beat digital except in a very few specialized niches. I spent many hours in my darkroom souping film and making contact prints and enlargements. No more.

When I rode my first bike with shifters on the bars, I immediately sold every towntube shifter bike I had. I might still have a set of Modolo friction shifters somewhere. But I have no interest in using them.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Randomhead

I like putting dt bosses on my frames. You can always bolt cable stops to them, but it's hard to mount a dt shifter on a cable stop.

I don't presently have any dt shifters on bikes. I occasionally will reach for the DT when I want to shift, always makes me laugh.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:07 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
You are correct about vinyl. But I shot film for over 30 years and I had a complete darkroom and developed everything myself except Kodachrome of course. I can tell you that film doesn't beat digital except in a very few specialized niches. I spent many hours in my darkroom souping film and making contact prints and enlargements. No more.

When I rode my first bike with shifters on the bars, I immediately sold every towntube shifter bike I had. I might still have a set of Modolo friction shifters somewhere. But I have no interest in using them.
there is something from film you don't achieve in digital, better or worst is preference but there is something to be said about the look of film.

I would not want to just have 1 bike with DTs but its a nice variation, makes this a lot of fun.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Replace a 9/10 speed DT shifter innards with the innards from some Shimano Dura Ace 9000 SL-BSR1 11 Speed Bar End Shifters.
Don't forget removing some material in the lever so that it can get to the 11th gear!
Old 10-17-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
there is something from film you don't achieve in digital, better or worst is preference but there is something to be said about the look of film.
Graininess?
Old 10-17-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Graininess?
Massive thread drift at this point, but graininess ≠ bad. To wit, Tri-X 400 is objectively grainy but subjectively beautiful; I prefer it to digital B&W generally.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velofinds View Post
Massive thread drift at this point, but graininess ≠ bad. To wit, Tri-X 400 is objectively grainy but subjectively beautiful; I prefer it to digital B&W generally.
I would be surprised if you couldn't use a (software) filter to add film-like graininess to a digital image.