Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2018, 04:26 PM

I personally don't get the point (other than marketing) for selling bikes branded as Masi. Whether or not the Haro Masi bikes are quality bikes is not the issue; whatever made a Masi a Masi does not exist anymore. An homage perhaps? Ah well, to each his own.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivethumbs View Post
I personally don't get the point (other than marketing) for selling bikes branded as Masi. Whether or not the Haro Masi bikes are quality bikes is not the issue; whatever made a Masi a Masi does not exist anymore. An homage perhaps? Ah well, to each his own.
Yes, it does seems very odd, and even annoying.

If people want an "Italian Masi", they really want a Faliero, or Alberto, or Milano 3V because of the name thing.
If people want a "California Masi", they really want a Confente.
Who really wants a "Haro Masi"?
Old 10-14-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Easier to catch the attention if it's a name you've already heard before.

Donnelly/Clement, etc.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:54 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Exactly. Masi USA had that connection when they started in CA. Once that link is gone so too should be the name. I realize it's done all the time now, many of the former great moto companies names have continued too, take Triumph for example. But only in name, I guess almost everything has a price these days....
Old 10-15-2018, 06:23 AM

Yar, like ... Mini in name only:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini.jpg (11.6 KB, 141 views)
Old 10-15-2018, 06:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I think it is (or was?) Greg Honn in Connecticut who imported the Milano 3V frames.
Correct and Bill McGann was Torelli, who sold Masis made in the US, made by Antonio Mondonico also. The name Masi has an interesting history, including Faliero not allowing his son Alberto, to sell ‘Masi’ in the US...hence ‘Milano. Plus Bill ‘leasing’ the name and then selling ‘Masi’ in the US.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Recreational User

I will say that I almost got a new Masi. I ended up not getting it, but was real impressed. Sure, it is not a Masi of old, but it was a nice bike.

The Masi Speciale Randonneur SE 2019 sells for $1350. The Elite is $1900 with Dynamo light and fenders. Nice bikes at nice prices.. whatever the brand is.

"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?"
Old 10-15-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
That's the entire point.

Around here they sell tons of city/fixed gear type scene bikes to the average buyer who perceives Italian bikes as high quality with heritage, even though nothing on the product they're buying is from Europe at all.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:49 PM
Randomhead

It makes a heck of a lot more sense to use 'Masi' than it does to sell bikes branded "Windsor." Always cracks me up when I see one of those. At least the modern Windsors are better quality than the original.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Head to Ned

For myself there is Masi, in Milan under the Vigorelli Velodrome. This is the iconic maker. Then there are the Carlsbad Masi bikes from Cali in the 70's
which had a decent reputation (and some that were blown way out of proportion, no names mentioned). And here we are talking about what I will refer to as the Haro Masi bikes. Their fate is yet to be sealed but I wish them well.