Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 11:46 PM

I have ridden Time ATACs with SIDI Drakos (and before that Dominators) for many years now on all my bikes and don't see any difference, especially with the full carbon sole on the Drakos. Perhaps they weight a bit more, but these days so do I..This has been on all bikes and all terrains. It is so much easier and practical than the road shoes I used to use.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:55 PM

Ride what gets you out there. But mtn pedals give me unhappy feet for long rides, and sometimes lack the float that keeps my knees happy.

Road pedals it is.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:18 AM

I've ridden Time ATAC my whole life (from mountain to road) and stick with them because I've always had an easy time going through life while wearing their cleats. Bathroom breaks, full days at work on wood & concrete floors, grabbing coffee with friends, etc., all while also using them for all of my serious rides and touring.

They're a breeze to pop in and out of, and I prefer a cleat with float and doing micro adjustments on my own. And boy do they offer a lot of float, especially when you wear them out and are cheap about replacing them ...

I've got a pair of Shimano XC-9 shoes I currently use when going for "real" rides, and an old pair of Shimano sneakers that I wear ride when screwing off -- I use their ATAC XC8 pedals exclusively now. It's always worked perfect for me somehow.

Then again, flats are also kind of nice.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I’m sure I’ll get flamed for this but I am gonna do it anyway. I won’t argue that there are plenty of functional road pedals, personally I like Speedplay but I take no issue with the other brands, basically they work for their intended purpose, riding a bike. But that is the problem. Generally a ride for me includes some walking, and I have yet to find the road pedal that really works well when you walk. The Speedplay walkable cleats are ok, but frankly I find using MTB SPD pedals and an appropriate shoe works way better.

I get it, it is not what is done, but it makes getting a coffee, or stopping for a bathroom break very easy.

Thoughts.
Then use 'MTB' shoes and pedals...'may' lose some 'coffee shop points' from yer buds but so what.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:20 AM
Ride to eat.

What works for you

I have mostly crank brothers and a few Look deltas.
(go some celeste pedals for my Bianchi and can't imaging it without them)

Never had a problem with either.

Deltas-
Never had a problem walking in deltas.
Used rubber cleat covers for store stops on long rides.
Sometimes delayed me removing the cover then playing catch up.

Crank-
Many pedal options.
Rode an century on eggbeaters with sidi dominators. (felt the spindle the last 20 or so miles.)
Changed to candys for longer rides.
That little platform made all the difference in the world on the longer rides and never noticed foot pressure.

Haven't tried the mallets yet but seem like another good option.

I like the different pedal options for the same cleat.

When I put on new cleats I test with eggbeaters for cleat position.
feeling that spindle under my foot makes for a good guide.

Ride what feels right, don't be a slave to fashion.

BamBam

Last edited by bambam; 01-23-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:56 AM

Anyone here use Campagnolo Pro-Fit pedals?
Old 01-23-2019, 12:36 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford_Guy View Post
"...Anyone here use Campagnolo Pro-Fit pedals?…"
Absolutely. Campagnolo Pro-Fits are my exclusive road pedal.
Typically use Shimano XTR pedals on my mountainbikes.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:15 PM

I don’t think sole stiffness is a problem with SPD types, my issue is the slight rocking they have. While I certainly could live with it, I prefer the solid feel of the SPD-SL pedals.

Tim
Old 01-25-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Absolutely. Campagnolo Pro-Fits are my exclusive road pedal.
Typically use Shimano XTR pedals on my mountainbikes.
I've been using a set of Campagnolo Record Pro Fit pedals for about the last 3 months. They're actually my first 3-bolt road clipless pedals, although I have tried Look Keos in my indoor spinning gym sessions. I have also used 2-bolt MTB-style SPDs in the past.

I've had mixed success with the Pro Fit pedals so far:

On the plus side, I've been very impressed with the smoothness of the bearings and expect them to last well, and find the pedals much easier to clip OUT of than the Look Keos (important for safety on the road, when cycling in traffic), they also look fantastic.

On the down side, first the minor points - I find them a bit more fiddly to clip INTO than the Look Keos (which you can basically just stomp onto), I'm getting better at this, but on club rides find that those using Look Keos or Shimano SPD-Ls seem to be able to clip in after stopping at a junction much quicker than I'm able to and rarely "miss" a clip in. Secondly, the stack height seems quite high compared to Look Keos and SPD-L pedals - I actually had to move my seat post up a little after installing the Pro-Fit pedals.

More significantly, though, I've been experiencing discomfort when using the pedals on longer rides, though I guess it's possible some or all of this may be down to non-optimum cleat positioning or possibly slightly too tight shoes (though they don't feel that tight). So after about 20 miles or so, the ends of my feet start to tingle and then go numb, even when I have my shoes (Specialized Torch 2.0) at their loosest setting at the toe box (this happens even when the weather is not cold). Then, after about 40 miles, it starts to feel like there is a solid bar running perpendicular to the underside of each foot, behind the balls of my feet (am I feeling the pedal axles?) - this then becomes quite painful to cycle on and the feeling doesn't go away unless I take a long break out of the saddle. BTW the shoes have quite stiff carbon soles.

Blue Jays - have you experienced any discomfort like this on longer rides using Campagnolo Pro Fit pedals? The most I've been able to ride with them is about 65 miles, but the last 25 are quite painful.

Last edited by Oxford_Guy; 01-25-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:17 AM

It seems that Time has passed. I don't recall seeing any ProTour teams on Time. Speedplay too.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 AM

I still use Speedplays for road racing and time trialing. The CB Eggbeaters we use for 'cross work great for general riding w/ occasional walking. The hottest part of summer -- the longest rides, with leisurely time off the bike, and RAGBRAI thrown in -- out come the sandals and bmx pedals. Comfortable, convenient, and surprisingly fast.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:23 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford_Guy View Post
"...Blue Jays - have you experienced any discomfort like this on longer rides using Campagnolo Pro Fit pedals? The most I've been able to ride with them is about 65 miles, but the last 25 are quite painful..."
Oxford_Guy...my experience has thankfully been painless with Campagnolo Pro-Fit pedals across all of my roadbikes.
Then again, my roadbikes have been fitted exclusively with Campagnolo components for many decades.

Perhaps the trick is to keep a bicycle in precisely the same setup and just swap the pedals?
It would be even more conclusive if you had same make/model of shoe to truly isolate the situation.

Best wishes that you successfully identify the source and can adjust accordingly.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Oxford_Guy...my experience has thankfully been painless with Campagnolo Pro-Fit pedals across all of my roadbikes.
Then again, my roadbikes have been fitted exclusively with Campagnolo components for many decades.

Perhaps the trick is to keep a bicycle in precisely the same setup and just swap the pedals?
It would be even more conclusive if you had same make/model of shoe to truly isolate the situation.

Best wishes that you successfully identify the source and can adjust accordingly.
Thanks, if I can resolve the numbness / underfoot pain issue I would otherwise be very happy these pedals, they're great for the first 20 miles of a ride, with a lovely smooth pedalling feel and easy to clip out of.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
it's fine... been doing it for years. i wear 5 year old terraduros, ride a surly, and just wave hi to people on pinarello dogmas as i pass them.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:11 PM

SP Walkable cleats?

Anybody using the Speedplay Walkable? Do they feel better?

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?f...owalkablecleat

Looks to me like as big a lump as the plain-metal setup.
But I like the looks of the screw-in cap.

I doubt they'll walk as comfortably than MTB shoes + SPD.