Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 08:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Let's hear it for 'old guys'..Tafi thread

Doesn't look like it's gonna happen..Surprised some younger guys comment..are they worried?

https://www.velonews.com/2019/01/new...ix-plan_482950
Old 01-22-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Doesn't look like it's gonna happen..Surprised some younger guys comment..are they worried?

https://www.velonews.com/2019/01/new...ix-plan_482950
Oh boy. If he's old, I'm dead!
Old 01-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
“He could join the early escape with some luck and ride on camera,” added Bakelants, “but he certainly cannot participate to win.”
That is true of 90% of the riders on the start line.

Gianni Moscon is the only Italian to finish in the Top 20 in the last 5 years of Paris Roubaix. That Tafi could be the best Italian at Roubaix says more about the state of Italian cycling than it does about Tafi.

Then again.... the EPO. Could he ride without some number of months on the biological passport testing protocol?
Old 01-22-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
“Andrea is also someone from my generation, we all know what happened there,” former Mapei teammate Johan Museeuw told Sporza.

'Nuff said.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Could he ride without some number of months on the biological passport testing protocol?
I believe that he would have to be under the biological passport program for six months prior to competing at the elite level. As a fellow "masters" racer, I understand Tafi's desire to compete. I can't understand his desire to compete at the elite level. There's really no upside. It's extremely unlikely that he would be able to make the podium, or even a top 10 or top 20 placing. The best he could realistically hope for is to finish within the time cut. If he wants to compete, there are lots of fondos and cyclo sportif events. Aging is tough. Aging with grace is even tougher...

Greg
Old 01-22-2019, 09:28 AM

Bio passport aside, why would any team use a spot for his ego project when they could develop some 23 year old who will happily ferry bottles and give up his wheel when the time comes?
Old 01-22-2019, 09:32 AM

I recall reading that he registered for the whereabouts program and the biological passport testing in advance of the six month window.

For what that's worth, he seems to be trying to do this properly.

Whether he will wind up riding PR is a different question.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:10 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Bio passport aside, why would any team use a spot for his ego project when they could develop some 23 year old who will happily ferry bottles and give up his wheel when the time comes?
Well, there are a bunch of continental teams that don't really have a shot at winning. If Tafi could bring some eyeballs to their sponsor, that might be considered "money well spent." This is an entertainment business, and the point is to get your jerseys seen on TV and mentioned, so the sponsor gets a return on their investment. Maybe you put it in terms of "old pro passing the torch to younger riders", or "Roubaix veteran gives the secrets of the cobbles to a new generation"... hopefully, you can do that without implying that the secret he is passing is a brown paper bag.

Sure, there are teams like Hagen Berman Axeon that are really committed to developing riders. But many continental teams are just trying to survive and this could help bring in sponsor dollars.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Well, there are a bunch of continental teams that don't really have a shot at winning. If Tafi could bring some eyeballs to their sponsor, that might be considered "money well spent." This is an entertainment business, and the point is to get your jerseys seen on TV and mentioned, so the sponsor gets a return on their investment. Maybe you put it in terms of "old pro passing the torch to younger riders", or "Roubaix veteran gives the secrets of the cobbles to a new generation"... hopefully, you can do that without implying that the secret he is passing is a brown paper bag.

Sure, there are teams like Hagen Berman Axeon that are really committed to developing riders. But many continental teams are just trying to survive and this could help bring in sponsor dollars.

This is a good point. Were he to ride, he'd almost certainly be on TV for a few minutes, which is more than most Continental teams can hope for.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:11 AM

I loved Tafi as a racer and would love to see him race this PR. To me, it would add another aspect to the race. The problem with the current bunch accepting this lies in the fact that they make their living spewing the "clean era of cycling" narrative while Tafi represents the "heavy fuel era".
Old 01-22-2019, 11:39 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Oh boy. If he's old, I'm dead!
Reminds me of this t-shirt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 12.38.04 PM.jpg (34.3 KB, 207 views)
Old 01-22-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
If I were Tafi, I would stay quiet at home in my impressive estate in Italy.”
Ice. Cold.

I hope he makes it!
Old 01-22-2019, 11:49 AM

He should just ride the sportive on Saturday.

This whole plan is so wingnut its really baffling.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Pro Conti. They're not as hard up as the Conti programs signing the likes of Davide.

I don't think it's going to happen. It's an expensive line item on a PC budget, and it's a liability. PR-wise, it sends an awful message.

Tafi needs to pack it in and be productive if he wants to stick around the sport.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:31 PM

I think we all want to see this happen just for the entertainment value also why hasn’t he offered to compensate the team for his salary if he’s so loaded?