Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 12:27 AM

Fulgaz is worth a try too with its POV video footage from many famous routes and climbs. The problem is I have my Zwift ‘itinerary’ most days so not sure I can warrant paying another subscription for occasional use. Also it only runs iOS/Android so not as convenient or bling as my pc setup I run Zwift on. Still pretty cool though.

Last edited by MagicHour; 01-23-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
I just completed stage 7 tonight too. Did the A group - only took 1:18.
Sorry, could help being a jerk there.

I just started Zwift at the end of December. So far it's been tons of fun. Runs great on my Imac and I use the companion app on my phone. I've not done any regular riding around. I've only done tour de zwift and races. Fun to hop in a race, not know the course, and end up finishing up the alpe. Made stage 6 a little easier since I had at least done the climb .

I have a TR subscription and use that for workouts and use Zwift for the races. I find the races to be really motivational, lots of fun for me. Results don't matter and pushing yourself seems pretty easy.

Today's Tour de Zwift, stage 7 was essentially the equivalent of a 2x25 workout. Each climb took about 18min and there were various other areas with short efforts. Good workout. Yesterday I did 2 shorter races back to back - again, worked out to a 2x20 min workout.

I'm liking it.
There`s always another jerk out there... I did 1:17 on stage 6 and 1:29 on stage 7, both really hard work

And for me that is the joy of Zwift, I find it really difficult putting in near FTP effort levels on Trainer Road, however, give me a Zwift race and I will give it all I have. Normally I don`t do too many zone 4 training rides in the winter, but the whole Tour De Zwift means that I am doing one every 2-3 days at the moment, which is probably not ideal at this stage in the season

ZwiftPower is much better for comparing your performance, it is well policed and 44kg riders with 330w FTP are largely absent - if you have a strange profile they ask riders to provide evidence of real world, outdoor performance to back up the claims

There are a number of Zwifters who I follow on Strava who are quicker than me, but I know I am faster in the real world, will give me immense satisfaction when I kick their ass in next season`s time trials and hill climbs
Old 01-23-2019, 09:48 AM

What is Zwiftpower again ?
Old 01-23-2019, 09:53 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
What is Zwiftpower again ?
https://zwiftinsider.com/whats-going...wiftpower-com/
Old 01-23-2019, 10:10 AM

What I would love to see in Zwift is the ability for users to create their own maps. Y'all could come ride with me in the Virtual Virginian mountains.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
What I would love to see in Zwift is the ability for users to create their own maps. Y'all could come ride with me in the Virtual Virginian mountains.
I think we'd all love that feature, but the downside is that everyone would create maps of their own and as a result would end up riding by themselves much of the time. The fun of zwift comes from riding with/against other people and if people are selecting maps outside the current flavor of the day model (or riding maps of their own making) there'll be less people on the map.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:27 PM
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I agree.

As to those who compare themselves to others on the app/game, don't worry about them. I could not care less except I'm glad they are there. There might be a momentary goal to keep up or catch but mostly I'm competing (if that's the word) with myself. I enjoy my hour with Zwift and listening to a podcast or two. It has totally changed my winter exercise experience from one of terrible monotony to one that is engaging at some level. There are some built-in challenges and I like that part of it.

It is evidently not for everyone but given it's exponential growth, I'd say they have struck a nerve with a lot of riders.
I agree. I'm especially liking it now that I've upgraded from my CompuTrainer to a Kickr Core where there's no need to do a 10-minute calibration warmup each time before I ride.

I enjoy the occasional challenge up one of the longer climbs where there's someone putting out a similar effort near me and it becomes apparent (at least in my mind 😁) that we're pushing each other to see who can reach the banner first. Other days it's simply nice to hang out in Z1 or Z2 and call it good while watching the world of Zwift pass by.

Kevin g
Old 01-23-2019, 07:29 PM
ergottWheels

Climbing with others at similar w/kg is a lot of motivation! Alpe du Zwift!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 PM
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Climbing with others at similar w/kg is a lot of motivation! Alpe du Zwift!
I love that climb! It's nice how they show you your stats for each segment while you're climbing. I find it easier to focus on just one segment at a time rather than the entire climb.

Kevin g
Old 01-24-2019, 10:05 AM

I got into zwift last winter but this year not so much. Tempted by the lure of open trails well into January. And now that's done...

What did I/am I missing?
Old 01-24-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzthomas View Post
I think we'd all love that feature, but the downside is that everyone would create maps of their own and as a result would end up riding by themselves much of the time. The fun of zwift comes from riding with/against other people and if people are selecting maps outside the current flavor of the day model (or riding maps of their own making) there'll be less people on the map.
Last night in the New York sim it was too crowded! I can imagine there are enough people who want to ride alone too or with very few. They could create some sort of mini map that would show you where the people are if you want to ride with others.

Hopefully they will come out with more maps soon anyway.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekgguy View Post
I love that climb! It's nice how they show you your stats for each segment while you're climbing. I find it easier to focus on just one segment at a time rather than the entire climb.

Kevin g
I wish it would keep showing your PR for the segment you're currently on. As it is now, you have to look ahead a segment and memorize the time as a goal. A ghost rider of your PR would be a nice option to toggle on/off.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:08 PM
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_11 View Post
I wish it would keep showing your PR for the segment you're currently on. As it is now, you have to look ahead a segment and memorize the time as a goal. A ghost rider of your PR would be a nice option to toggle on/off.
I submitted a request a few months ago for a ghost rider of your PR. I think that would be a great feature to have.

Kevin g
Old 01-24-2019, 09:07 PM

New update tonight, you can now choose between two different "worlds"
Old 01-25-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHour View Post
Fulgaz is worth a try too with its POV video footage from many famous routes and climbs. The problem is I have my Zwift ‘itinerary’ most days so not sure I can warrant paying another subscription for occasional use. Also it only runs iOS/Android so not as convenient or bling as my pc setup I run Zwift on. Still pretty cool though.
Decided to finally try Fulgaz yesterday. Did a couple of really short 'test' runs. This morning rode (tail end) the first stage of Tour of Britain. Really liked it. My TV is 1080p, BUT refresh rate is a bit slow so the graphics are less than optimal, but still better than the 'play mobile' Zwift avatars... Thought the overall road feel was much better than Zwift. Love Zwift, got in about 130 rides last year, great road supplement!! The thing I liked about Fulgaz was the natural feel of an undulating road. The sensations in my legs were a lot closer to what i feel on the road. signed up for an annual subscription. Between the two, it's about $22 per month, a very small price to pay to never have to worry about getting a ride in when the weather (or my schedule) will not allow a road ride.

Last edited by Vamoots58; 01-25-2019 at 12:35 PM.