Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 03:03 PM

I used to have the icicle beard too but not any more. Honestly it woas one event that ended it for me. I think it was 2008 or 09 Cyclocross Nationals in Kansas City. It was 8deg F and I was woefully unprepared. But you can't exaclt wear a whole lot of clothing for a cross race either. My hands hurt so bad after that race and I remember having a cold itch all over my body that drove me mad. Ever since that one single day I cannot go out in the cold liek that anymore. My left hand fingers turn white and once I start to thaw upon coming inside and warming up I get this absolutely insane itch like bugs are crawling under my skin. I've actually read that there is something called cold allergy, actually being allergic to the cold, that has those symptoms.

Thank God for Zwift, that's all I can say
Old 01-23-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I used to have the icicle beard too but not any more. Honestly it woas one event that ended it for me. I think it was 2008 or 09 Cyclocross Nationals in Kansas City. It was 8deg F and I was woefully unprepared. But you can't exaclt wear a whole lot of clothing for a cross race either. My hands hurt so bad after that race and I remember having a cold itch all over my body that drove me mad. Ever since that one single day I cannot go out in the cold liek that anymore. My left hand fingers turn white and once I start to thaw upon coming inside and warming up I get this absolutely insane itch like bugs are crawling under my skin. I've actually read that there is something called cold allergy, actually being allergic to the cold, that has those symptoms.

Thank God for Zwift, that's all I can say

Chilblains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2019, 07:05 AM

I didn't think your original post was too bad but I could how someone could take it the wrong way. Anyway, since I only MTB these days I will routinely ride in the teens and twenties. We haven't had much snow so the trails are actually pretty fast right now.

A couple of Saturdays ago it was like 7 so I went snowshoeing instead
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190112_130851786-EFFECTS.jpg (97.1 KB, 161 views)
Old 01-23-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bryant View Post
Chilblains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow! Well I'll be darned. That's it to a tee.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:45 PM

I have commuted through midwest winters, mid-atlantic winters, SF summers, a baker's dozen blizzards, a handful of hurricanes and two tornados.

But nothing has left me feeling more committed, or tougher, than getting the kids on their bikes and across town to school.

Car culture is a g!dd*mned vampire!

Last edited by 93KgBike; 01-24-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:22 AM

Time to belly up to the bar.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/0...ad-135-preview

AT least it wasn't Friday when it his -37F (-38C). It's nice when it is so cold that Centigrade and Fahrenheit are almost equal.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
Time to belly up to the bar.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/0...ad-135-preview

AT least it wasn't Friday when it his -37F (-38C). It's nice when it is so cold that Centigrade and Fahrenheit are almost equal.
Those are some tough SOB's. Most of the rest of us are mere pansies.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:43 PM

My biggest limiter to riding in sub-freezing temps is the resulting tightening of tendons in the knee area which inevitably makes my right knee with historical patellar tracking issues scream bloody murder. I still do it if I’m on a gravel bike or mountain bike...because I’m in that adventure mindset. Roadbike? Pass. I’ll do a few hours on Zwift & get an amazing workout with far better interval workouts...and maybe even run into virtual manifestations of my pals in the process.

Re cold-induced knee problems...I’m developing a system to keep it at bay. It’s pretty kludgy but works for me. Involves the use of KT tape to hold down those Hot hands hand warmers just above my kneecap. Keeps things nice and warm and flexi. Over the top go my knickers or tights.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:50 PM

What are you Minneapolis people doing this week?

Im here on a business trip and holy crap it’s cold. I complain about the cold back home sometimes but I don’t know cold compared to this. On Wed it’s supposed to hit a 20 year historic low..something like -50 degree windchill. Im here until Thurs and if I see someone outside on a bike, I’d normally go bow down with the I’m not worthy schtick, but then I’d have to leave the hamster tubes...so I’ll stay in this little self contained store/business/eatery/hotel biosphere knowing that the only time I’ll have to go outside again is the 20 foot walk to get into the cab leaving for the airport. Yeah, I’m not so tough...

- I’ve noticed that when it’s this cold, the snow doesn’t really pack down. It’s too cold for the merger of frozen water molecules. It just gets shuffled around from place to place...like flour or powdered sugar...as if there was no liquid state..it’s just this fine white powder everywhere. Is it even possible for kids here to make snowmen or get into snowball fights when it’s like this?

Last edited by Wayne77; 01-28-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
Im here on a business trip and holy crap it’s cold. I complain about the cold back home sometimes but I don’t know cold compared to this. On Wed it’s supposed to hit a 20 year historic low..something like -50 degree windchill. Im here until Thurs and if I see someone outside on a bike, I’d normally go bow down with the I’m not worthy schtick, but then I’d have to leave the hamster tubes...so I’ll stay in this little self contained store/business/eatery/hotel biosphere knowing that the only time I’ll have to go outside again is the 20 foot walk to get into the cab leaving for the airport. Yeah, I’m not so tough...
Skipped the traffic and cold today and stayed home in front of the fire.

I used to ride in weather like today when I first started fat biking back in '10. There is no bad weather, just bad gear is the mantra for many here. I am still surprised though on how many bikers I still see on some of these days. For me, I am past those first years of all the time fat in the winter and generally take the toughest 3 week January stretch off annually now.

Let me know if you need any recommendations or want to borrow a fat and a light
Old 01-28-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
- I’ve noticed that when it’s this cold, the snow doesn’t really pack down. It’s too cold for the merger of frozen water molecules. It just gets shuffled around from place to place...like flour or powdered sugar...as if there was no liquid state..it’s just this fine white powder everywhere. Is it even possible for kids here to make snowmen or get into snowball fights when it’s like this?
Not really. As described. This is one of those unusual times where it does not warm up to snow. Very little moisture relative to the norm.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:07 PM

Speaking of cold around here.

Arrowhead 135 starts today.

Local news segment on it:

https://www.fox9.com/news/386181469-video
Old 01-28-2019, 10:08 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Those are some tough SOB's. Most of the rest of us are mere pansies.
This is the bar. Don't think anyone can top that.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:

You need to get out of town where it is dark (really dark at night). Being so cold, there is little water vapor in the air and you should get incredible night skies with the milky way. Only downside, there is still a partial moon. There is always an upside if you know were to look.