Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 09:02 AM
ZhugeLiang

Rode year round when we lived in Austin Texas for 15 years with temp. range from mid-30s and up. Then moved to St Louis for four years - after the first winter and got some experience in the belt, routinely ride in the 20-30s. Went out one time when it was 16 or something like that - did not enjoy the ride at all, thought it was stupid, never did that again, stuck with 20-30s being the minimum threshold.
Came back to Texas after that, rode year round again. First two years after our return, I was riding in short sleeve and short and nothing else in the low 50s, felt really comfortable. After 2 years, back to a wimp like the californians, start covering myself up like a mummy whenever the temp dips below 70. Now, I am back to riding in shorts in the 50s - I won't say that I am super comfortable or I am not cold at that temp. but I would rather carry less layers on my body and ride harder to generate my heat than overheat or deal with the discomfort that comes with several layers on.

Last edited by weisan; 01-21-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott;2488531/

"provided I believe you, of course" is pretty egotistical, not smug.
Needed a smiley face, apparently. It was a joke.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:08 AM
Barely Hanging On

I say that being tough is for people who don't have other options.

Since living where I do, I generally won't even start a ride if the ground is wet. I don't "have" to ride in temperatures much below 30.When it's a really cold morning, I usually have the option to ride later in the day when it's about 30 degrees warmer. For me, cold is a lot easier to handle than wet.

In summary, you are probably tougher than I am if you are reading this thread, though not necessarily crazier.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:09 AM

Used to go out when it was in the 20s, but now I seldom use the trainer when house temp is below 68*.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloozoe View Post
I think describing oneself as "insufferably smug" would be better characterized as self-deprecating, but I'm slowly learning that every time I attempt a light, facetious post around here I attract my share of smack-downs; so far two on this seemingly innocuous thread alone. Way down my list of things to worry about but who needs it? Guess I'll stick to the classifieds and leave it at that.

Some cool replies and pictures, though.
It's a textbook definition of a humblebrag and hardly self-deprecating.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:13 AM

I'll ride down into the 20s here in the ABQ, though I'll often switch to the cross bike or MTB and ride the foothills or Bosque. The woods are great great for blocking the wind and ice isn't an issue. if there's snow or ice on the road or paved trails, I might take out the MTB or cross with fresh snow, but desist once it becomes ice.
If I've been out in real conditions - ice, snow, or rain-I'll come home singing my own version of Black Sabbath's Iron Man. It entertains my wife and dogs I guess.
FWIW, didn't the East Germans do 6+ hour rides on trainers while staring at concrete walls? Man, that is *hard.*
Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 AM

winter cycling

I stop riding when there is ice or snow on the shoulders of the roads I ride on to avoid crashing. I have often been quite happy to see ice form so I could pack it in for the winter (northern Alberta can be darn cold).

I do love a challenge but more common sense has arrived with 'maturity' !

I read the OP as tongue in cheek. This can be a tough crowd. It took me three years to post anything.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 AM

A lot depends on how long you're exposed to the elements. I used to be a nearly full-time bike commuter in Wisconsin, mostly to prove I could do it. Not so much anymore. Kids and other time constraints have reduced my winter commuting to 1-2 days/wk, and I just pick the nicest days.

The truly extreme weather requires another level of gear and preparation to do safely. My 55 min. commute turns into 1:15 in 10F on studded tires, and studded tires = for ride quality. Getting dressed takes 5+ min. longer than normal too. Then there's the bike clean up. On top of the time, it's difficult to exert the kind of effort if would take to improve my fitness. I finally came to the conclusion that I'd rather drive to work on the awful days and spend 45 minutes doing structured training.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:27 AM

I don't often ride my road bike at temperatures below freezing. In New England, we have a lot of freeze/thaw cycles, so when it is below freezing there is very often ice on the roads - especially in the shoulders and gutters that bikes are often forced to ride on. I'm not keen on the idea of sliding out on the ice - especially if it may cause me to slide out into traffic. There are studded road tires available, but tires with enough metal studs for traction on the ice also have a lot drag and vibration on pavement (not to mention poor pavement traction), so I avoid using them.

But that's not to say that I'm not outdoors and active in the winter. When there is enough snow, I'll be out cross country skiing. When there isn't enough snow for skiing, I'll be in the woods on my MTB. And besides which, changing up sports from season to season is a good way to keep mentally fresh, and avoid cycling from becoming stale.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:27 AM

I commuted off and on all year in Chicago for 30 years. I've lost interest at this point unless it's above freezing really. Snow and ice I just don't do it any longer. Too much work,traffic mess and stress. :-) Maybe that's just me getting older.

If I had a fat bike I'd go tool around in the woods here but unless I lived someplace magical I can't justify how much I'd probably use it.

If I lived in Colorado again I'd likely fat bike quite a bit.

Commuting in the city though. I'll be happy as a fair weather rider from here n out I think. As far as cycling for exercise? My limit is....not windy, above 45 and sunny!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:53 AM

Riding a road bike in conditions where there may be ice on the road is just stupid. The entrance to my subdivision is shaded by large pines. It can get icy and stay that way for a long time. That makes it tough to even get out on a main road.

This year has been exceptionally dry in Colorado, so little chance of ice. I'll go out in the upper forties, but even then, selecting the right clothing is tricky. 47 degrees with no sun is a lot different than the same temp on a bright sunny day. I have Bellwether cold front tights and several base layers that I can wear under a wind breaking jacket. I take routes where speeds of 40+ are common so I need the wind protection. I have several different gloves to choose from too, but cold hands or sweaty hands still occur.

I've managed to get in 170 miles this month, which shows just how warm and dry it's been this year.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:01 AM

not about tough

I'm un-tough for sure (and definitely took the OP as being tongue-in-cheek). But I like to be outside so I try to select clothing that works. My '96 Klein MTB is the bike I rode to work today (2 mile commute, see un-tough reference above) and it lives with Freddies Revenge studded tires for just this type of weather. Yesterday it rained 2-1/2 inches with temps in the 50Fs and then in 2 hours dropped 30F. When I left the house this a.m. it was 4F. I wear boots and use flat pedals, ski gloves, balaclava with windproof cap over it, and ski goggles, and I wasn't cold at all. If I were going longer I'd wear windproof mitten shells and felt lined Sorels.

When it's slippery (and the dirt roads get really icy here from the freeze thaw) I try to stick to trails and dirt roads so I can worry less about cars. People don't use snow tires here.

We cancelled the weekly Sunday morning MTB ride though, 'cuz it was raining like hell here yesterday and that's way less fun than cold.

I am amazed by the people who ride and race at -20F. I hiked all winter in the NH White Mtns but -20F was too cold to start up the trail. We had a rough cut-off at -10F or so. Once we entered a little cabin on the shoulder of Mt Cabot on a really cold and windy day before getting to the top. The cabin was warmed a bit by the sun and we felt relief upon entering. The thermometer in there read -11F.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloozoe View Post
I think describing oneself as "insufferably smug" would be better characterized as self-deprecating, but I'm slowly learning that every time I attempt a light, facetious post around here I attract my share of smack-downs; so far two on this seemingly innocuous thread alone. Way down my list of things to worry about but who needs it? Guess I'll stick to the classifieds and leave it at that.

Some cool replies and pictures, though.
If you hadn't already noticed, the cycling crowd in general is pretty serious, except the cyclocross folks, they are weird and not serious. But roadies, man, they are one serious group of folks nearly incapable of laughing at how ridiculous they really are. (yeah yeah, shut up, im one of you, and we are ridiculous, embrace it).
Old 01-21-2019, 10:27 AM

Smug?

There was a time where I would never miss training- regardless of the weather.
Full fender bike- Right out into the storm for whatever was scheduled.

Maybe I felt like it was giving me an edge- But circa 2019, I think there are better ways.
I might be less hardcore- But if the weather is crap, I will get on my wahoo- do 2 hours or less and call it good.

Plenty of ways to ride, train, and/or have fun. The key is to find out what works best for you.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:48 AM

17 degrees and 30-40mph winds here, took a hike in the woods with my dog.

Tim