Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 09:22 AM

OT: Turbo Tax

I have been a regular purchaser of the "Deluxe" version of Turbo Tax for many years. I have read that this year is different with respect to investments/stocks. Supposedly the form is included but Turbo Tax no longer walks you through it. Typically, I have simply allowed the software to access my investment accounts (by providing username and password) and it instantly downloads the information directly.
Hopefully some of you have used it already this year. Will I need the "Premier" version for that feature?
TIA
Old 01-23-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmyers View Post
I have been a regular purchaser of the "Deluxe" version of Turbo Tax for many years. I have read that this year is different with respect to investments/stocks. Supposedly the form is included but Turbo Tax no longer walks you through it. Typically, I have simply allowed the software to access my investment accounts (by providing username and password) and it instantly downloads the information directly.
Hopefully some of you have used it already this year. Will I need the "Premier" version for that feature?
TIA
Where did you read that? The online description says for all products: "Save time by importing financial data including W-2s, investment and mortgage information, "

It does say that you need Premier for "Additional Help for investment sales such as stocks, bonds, royalties, mutual funds and employee stock plans"and that it's "Recommended for: Investments & rental property" (but I think it always said that)

But I switched to Premier a few years ago, so I can't confirm this.

BTW, check with you're Brokers and Banks to see if they offer TT for free (I get Premier free from Fidelity)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:03 AM

You can just buy the Deluxe and if you do need the Premier, you can Upgrade and just pay the difference
(Click the Upgrade Button in Turbo Tax Deluxe)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmyers View Post
TIA
I've started my return already and turbotax downloaded both Vanguard and TD Ameritrade 1099's as usual.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob62 View Post
I've started my return already and turbotax downloaded both Vanguard and TD Ameritrade 1099's as usual.
Correct. Don't need the Premier version for 1099s unless you want "enhanced" help. Note that some brokerages aren't listed as of yet, but it is theorized that they will be on subsequent updates and after those brokerages have their 1099 forms available (i.e. February)
Old 01-23-2019, 02:41 PM

I did the deluxe version and will continue to do so with several 1099-Div/B every year.

Works fine for me.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:33 PM

OP: it should work perfectly as others have noted, but if you continue to have a problem, just contact the TT team and they'll help you out.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Disclaimer: I work for Intuit, although not for TurboTax.