Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2021, 12:31 PM

Chorus HO RD in a mech/rim build?

Hello Hive Mind: Any reason I can't use Chorus 11 HO rd in a mech/rim build? Was there another "non-HO" for non hydro builds? I'm making the (dangerous?) assumption that Chorus 11 Mech levers will work correctly with HO rd as well - am I missing something? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbalser View Post
Hello Hive Mind: Any reason I can't use Chorus 11 HO rd in a mech/rim build? Was there another "non-HO" for non hydro builds? I'm making the (dangerous?) assumption that Chorus 11 Mech levers will work correctly with HO rd as well - am I missing something? Thanks!
I can see no reason that an HO rear derailleur should be any different from a non-HO derailleur. They use the same shifters, cassettes and chains, and there is no difference in the lateral offset between the cassette and the derailleur mounting position (hanger). HO cranks have a different chainline (by 1.2mm), so there may possibly be a difference in front derailleurs (and even here they may be no real difference), but there should be no difference in rear derailleurs.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:07 PM

My understanding is they updated the pulleys and/or cage to work better with the wider chainline but it’s perfectly backwards compatible and superseded the non-HO part.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:29 PM

thank you to you both - that was my thought process, but always better to use the wisdom of the crowd.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:16 PM

Running a HO rear derailleur with Chorus 11 shifter on my gravel bike with no problems
Old 03-01-2021, 06:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbalser View Post
Nope, use it, it'll work just fine on a 'far superior rim brake rig'...
Old 03-01-2021, 11:50 AM

This is kind of a dumb question, but how do you distinguish a HO RD from a non-HO RD? When I built up my DS a few years ago, I bought Campy Chorus 11 drive train - RD, FD and shifters. I specifically bought a Chorus 11 mid-cage RD. I don't recall any markings or way to distinguish whether it was HO or not. But it works perfectly with my Campy Record ti compact crankset with 50/34 rings and yes, Sram Red black brakes...yeah, I know, but it was the only brakeset I had in my box and well, it actually works really well!

Good Luck!
Old 03-01-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
This is kind of a dumb question, but how do you distinguish a HO RD from a non-HO RD? When I built up my DS a few years ago, I bought Campy Chorus 11 drive train - RD, FD and shifters. I specifically bought a Chorus 11 mid-cage RD. I don't recall any markings or way to distinguish whether it was HO or not. But it works perfectly with my Campy Record ti compact crankset with 50/34 rings and yes, Sram Red black brakes...yeah, I know, but it was the only brakeset I had in my box and well, it actually works really well!

Good Luck!
The HO Rd says HO on it
Old 03-01-2021, 12:13 PM

All Chorus and Record switched over to HO derailleurs in 2018. HO derailleurs have HO printed on them:

Campagnolo components also have product code labels adhered to them although these labels may fall off over time. An HO Chorus rear derailleur will be product code will start with RD18-CH, and a non-HO Chorus rear derailleur will be product code will start with RD15-CH
Old 03-01-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
All Chorus and Record switched over to HO derailleurs in 2018. HO derailleurs have HO printed on them:

Campagnolo components also have product code labels adhered to them although these labels may fall off over time. An HO Chorus rear derailleur will be product code will start with RD18-CH, and a non-HO Chorus rear derailleur will be product code will start with RD15-CH
Thanks! I have the HO printed on my RD, so I can confirm that it works well with rim brakes, and Sram brakes at that! LOL