Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2021, 08:39 AM

NYC to Boston

Hey, y'all was curious if anyone here had a good route from NYC to Boston. Thinking about doing it over the course of a day and a half or so. Appreciate any and all routes or advice.

Cheers. Peace be with you.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:41 AM

No route to suggest but sounds like fun!

SPP
Old 02-28-2021, 08:48 AM

There's an annual AIDS ride that goes from Boston to NYC. You might want to research that route...

It's listed as a 275 mile ride.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-28-2021, 08:52 AM

Impressive!!! - please post follow up on what you come up with.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopwalters View Post
Hey, y'all was curious if anyone here had a good route from NYC to Boston. Thinking about doing it over the course of a day and a half or so. Appreciate any and all routes or advice.

Cheers. Peace be with you.
Maybe you already did this but here is what Google plans for a route at least as a starting point. Also Map My Ride or Strava may have some options.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/New+...25!3e1!5m1!1e3

SPP's idea of the AIDS ride route is also a good place to look.

Have fun!
Old 02-28-2021, 09:03 AM

Yeah, I looked at google maps and read about one of the more coastal trails but I was just curious to see what PLers might have up their sleeves. Didn't know about the AIDs route - I'll research that!
Old 02-28-2021, 09:04 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Here's another option:

https://europeancyclingtours.com/bos...ork-bike-ride/

Edit: I have no clue if it's any good or not.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:54 AM

https://www.greenway.org/
Old 02-28-2021, 10:36 AM

There are a lot of good options for routes, but reality is out of New York and into Boston are the most important.

Out of New York City, I'd go up Broadway or take the Hudson River Path to VanCortlandt Park. The South County Trail out of Van Cortlandt will take you to Elmsford , you pick up the North County Trail there. I'd ride to Pleasntville, then ride a line towards Brewster. I want to cross 684/84 near Brewster. From that point, go north of Candlewood Lake and split the difference bewteen Hardford and Springfield.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35286301

This is not the exact route I'd take, but it is basically the angle of attack. You can piece together so many nice roads.

Riding south of 95 or slightly north and going East is just a disaster in my opinion.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 02-28-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:41 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
There's an annual AIDS ride that goes from Boston to NYC. You might want to research that route...

It's listed as a 275 mile ride.
My wife did that ride back in 1995, almost as a lark — she hadn’t been on a bike since she was 8 years old, but a friend convinced her “it’ll be fun!” So she started training with a local cycle club and within 6 months was doing back-to-back centuries — and that became the catalyst that eventually transformed both of us into diehard recreational roadies.

But I doubt she remembers the route

I do recall they split it up into 3 days: 100, 100, and 75 miles
Old 02-28-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
There are a lot of good options for routes, but reality is out of New York and into Boston are the most important.

Out of New York City, I'd go up Broadway or take the Hudson River Path to VanCortlandt Park. The South County Trail out of Van Cortlandt will take you to Elmsford , you pick up the North County Trail there. I'd ride to Pleasntville, then ride a line towards Brewster. I want to cross 684/84 near Brewster. From that point, go north of Candlewood Lake and split the difference bewteen Hardford and Springfield.

This is not the exact route I'd take, but it is basically the angle of attack. You can piece together so many nice roads.

Riding south of 95 and going East is just a disaster in my opinion.
There is no way you should be riding those roads coming in to Boston. Rte 9 for example can be 3 lanes of traffic driving 70 miles per hour in some places, and rte 20 is no great shakes either. I think your original request to PL is correct — eg to get local knowledge. Ive not done the whole route, but assuming the Mass part originates somewhere near Sturbridge,I’d be inclined to have a look at the Pan Mass Challenge route, and when you get near Hopkinton diverge. There should be a ton of routes on RWGPS from that area on in.

https://www.pmc.org/routes-logistics

Eg this one travels some nice roads (and some slightly busier ones). https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1192595
Old 02-28-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post

Riding south of 95 or slightly north and going East is just a disaster in my opinion.
I'd agree. If you want fast, go the southern/eastern route and deal with lots of suburban and some urban riding. You could literally take Route 1 all the way to Boston (not sure if 100% is rideable).

If you want a strikingly beautiful ride, head north, perhaps all the way to the Berkshires and then head east. There's lots of rural CT and Mass to enjoy. That will probably add a day or two. Oh, and one of the maps above suggested cutting through SE New England and riding the 65 miles on the Cape to Provincetown and then taking the ferry to downtown Boston. That would be a nice addition but would make more sense for a southern route...

I think you will find more east/west routes in Mass versus rural CT, but that's just a semi-educated guess based on lots of (car) road tripping through the area...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 02-28-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:17 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Boston Marathon route from Hopkinton to Boston.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:01 PM
'97 Ti Legend

I did the Boston to New York AIDS ride twice in the 90s, it was awesome, so my experience is in the opposite direction. We went west into the "mountains" and then southwest to Storrs where we camped. As your primary concern will not be finding a campsite for 3,000 riders, you will have lots of flexibility in your midpoint. A halfway looks more like Bristol or Watertown, CT. Google has you coming out of NYC to the north, on the North Country Trailway. The AIDS ride dropped south and went through the coastal towns and in part route 1, but we had some road closures and a lot of support, and bike paths were out of the question for the numbers we had riding.

Regardless of the route or direction, the part closer to the city, your first day, will have the heaviest traffic and the worst road surfaces. Might be fun (and flat) to head out northern Long Island and get the ferry from Orient to New London, better roads out of the city. Then head northeast across CT and into Boston from the west.

Last edited by DRZRM; 02-28-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:21 PM

I have a good route from Providence to Boston Id be happy to pass a long. Its the best one that I have found. Pretty much all back roads.