Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2021, 06:08 AM

Ot:newport news virginia cnu

One of my grandsons has been accepted to Christopher Newport University(CNU)in Newport News. Does anyone have any experience living there, attending CNU or the atmosphere? From what I can gather a medium size city(180,000) with the inherent problems of a city of that size. Crime seems high to me. Any friction or antomosity between the students and the townies? Thanks for any input.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:52 AM
Rockstruck

I go to the area 2-3x a year. My mother and two adult sisters moved years ago to Newport News and live right near CNU. The school has had a good amount of investment and the campus seems very attractive when I have driven through. The Niche college review calls it #20 most attractive in the country, but that is a stretch at best. Newport News is a somewhat arbitrary boundary within the larger Hampton Roads msa. Mostly military, military contractors and retirees.

The bike riding is not great around right around CNU. That’s as good of an indicator in my book as anything, even for pedestrians.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:29 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
Any friction or antomosity between the students and the townies?
Sorry, couldn't resist:

Old 02-28-2021, 08:24 AM

A niece & nephew both went there. Asked them if they'd go again, and they both said absolutely. Loved it. Youngest graduated maybe 4 years ago. Loved the small feel of the place. If you have any specific questions, I can ask them.
Sister lived in NN for a few years. It's ok. The tidewater area is pretty diverse, but I've never heard complaints about interactions between students and the town. It isn't really a "town". NN is very transient.