Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2021, 02:29 PM

My friend successfully casts to a Chromecast.

For what it's worth, I believe they are developing and are soon to be releasing TV apps.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:35 PM

Does anyone know if there will be any synergy between GCN subscription, and any Mountain Bike races (aka GMBN)?

I have been unable to figure out if the anticipated reduction in broadcasting of MTB events, will be picked up by GCN as a sister company of GMBN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFxeZ6UziBo
Old 02-26-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Looking into GCN+, it appears it is accessed through either an Apple or Google App. I don't have any Apple devices, nor a Smart TV, so what would my options be to watch it on a big screen? (Devices I currently have include a Roku, an Android tablet, and an Amazon Fire Stick.)

I use a Firestick so I emailed GCN. They said it will be available in a few weeks on Firestick. In the meantime, I think the easiest option is to plug your laptop into the tv via HDMI cable. That's how I get around Peacock not being on Firestick.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:44 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
I don't think it works that way. When I cast to Roku, it connects to a specific application on Roku. When I cast YouTube from the tablet, it starts the YouTube app on the Roku. When I cast Netflix from the tablet, it starts the Netflix app on the Roku. If the YouTube or Netflix apps are not presnt on the Roku, I can't cast YouTube or Netflex from the tablet to the Roku.
When I cast from my tablet or phone to the Roku it just mirrors the screen. I just tried it, I started the cast and then opened the YT app and the one on the tablet is definitely the one that's running on the TV.

But....I just noticed that there is a cast icon on the YT app (I never use it, I watch YT in a browser). When I cast by clicking it then it does start the YT app on the Roku. As long as you cast using the phone's cast link rather than the app's cast link it shouldn't start the app on the Roku.

Quote:
I wasn't aware of SlimPort, but after checking the SlimPort web site, it appears my tablet is compatible, so I'll look into this solution.
You need an adapter which plugs into the USB port on the phone/tablet and has an HDMI on the other end. I used one for several years and it worked well. After quick search it seems that they are hard to find but this is available - https://www.amazon.com/Analogix-Semi...a-450120180904

Quote:
Looking around a bit, it looks like a Chromecast might be another option to cast from a tablet to TV - anyone have experience with GCN+ with a Chromecast?
I have a phone that will only cast via Chromcast. I absolutely hate it, it drops or locks up constantly. I have tried 2 different Chromecast dongles for the TV and both have done the same thing. There's no rhyme or reason to it, it may work for 2-3 weeks before it needs to be reset or may work fine for just 10 minutes.

Last edited by choke; 02-26-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:54 PM

Is the promo still up? Is it a code? Thanks
Old 02-26-2021, 03:59 PM

No code needed for the 24.99 price.

Valid until Sunday only.

https://welcome.globalcyclingnetwork.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2021, 05:44 PM

The subject line of this one still triggers me
Old 02-26-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
The subject line of this one still triggers me
Ha! Yeah, I almost didn't bump this one but it was the most recent
Old 02-26-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy.cyclist View Post
No code needed for the 24.99 price.

Valid until Sunday only.

https://welcome.globalcyclingnetwork.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome, thanks, caught it right at the tail end!
Old 02-26-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
When I cast from my tablet or phone to the Roku it just mirrors the screen. I just tried it, I started the cast and then opened the YT app and the one on the tablet is definitely the one that's running on the TV.

But....I just noticed that there is a cast icon on the YT app (I never use it, I watch YT in a browser). When I cast by clicking it then it does start the YT app on the Roku. As long as you cast using the phone's cast link rather than the app's cast link it shouldn't start the app on the Roku.

You need an adapter which plugs into the USB port on the phone/tablet and has an HDMI on the other end. I used one for several years and it worked well. After quick search it seems that they are hard to find but this is available - https://www.amazon.com/Analogix-Semi...a-450120180904

I have a phone that will only cast via Chromcast. I absolutely hate it, it drops or locks up constantly. I have tried 2 different Chromecast dongles for the TV and both have done the same thing. There's no rhyme or reason to it, it may work for 2-3 weeks before it needs to be reset or may work fine for just 10 minutes.

Okay, so I tried a few other things. Originally I was using a Google Nexus tablet. There is a 'cast' feature in the system settings, but it didn't show any available devices. Some applications have their own 'cast' features, and the tablet's YouTube and Netflix Apps found my Roku and and my Tivo, and in these cases selecting 'cast' launched the YouTube or Netflix app on the casted to device.

Then I tried a Samsung tablet. Like with the Google tablet, casting from within an app caused the same app to launch on the Roku or Tivo. But instead of a 'cast' feature in the system settings, it had a Screen Mirror function. This function found the Roku, and when connected to the Roku, what was shown on the Samsung tablet screen showed up on the Roku screen. But when I tried to play video, there was a lot of stuttering and freezing with low-res video, and with high-res video all I got was spinning circles.

So, no luck yet.

But then I managed to borrow a Chromecast. The Google Nexus tablet found the Chromecast in the 'cast' system settings (but not the Roku), while the Samsung tablet did not find the Chromecast in the 'Screen Mirror' feature (but did find the Roku). So, I tried connecting the Nexus tablet to the Chromecast. This combination was able to play hi-def video (or perhaps it was just near-hi-def). But the sound was out of synch with the video. This would be very annoying if watching a movie, but maybe not as noticeable when watching race coverage, as the voice over announcers are rarely on video. So this might be a viable option, until GCN launches a FireStick or Roku app.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:17 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Okay, so I tried a few other things. <snip>
Another option would be to buy a used phone and use it to cast. You would not have to activate the phone, just use it on wifi with the GCN app. For example, I have a LG G2 which is a quite old phone by current standards. I just downloaded the GCN app and while I don't have a subscription the app loaded and appears to work fine. The LG finds my Roku with no problem and YT casts smoothly on it.

The LG is also Slimport compatible. When I had a Eurosport subscription and they started using geo-location, I was able to find an app which would spoof my location and then I used the Slimport connection to watch Eurosport on the TV. I know that the G2 through G5 are Slimport compatible. There are used G4s on ebay for under $50, so it's not huge difference from buying a Chromecast device.

I think that a wired connection is the best option if it's available. Besides Slimport there is also MHL - https://www.mhltech.org/devices.aspx It appears that a couple of Nexus devices are MHL compatible.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:01 PM

Sorry didnt read whole thread but....
Roku sticks have YouTube access on it so.....If you buy the GCN+ subscription could you just watch it that way on TV>Roku> Youtube ?
Or is this all thru a Android/OS app deal only?

Last edited by flying; 02-26-2021 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:01 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Need to change VPN services (PIA isn't M1 compatible).
What has been your best performing VPN service for use with things like GCN?
Old 02-27-2021, 05:32 AM

I tried to subscribe to GCN this morning, and it wasnt working. Anyone else having problems?
Old 02-27-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
I tried to subscribe to GCN this morning, and it wasnt working. Anyone else having problems?
I'm already subscribed. Able to watch previous races. Live isn't working this morning.