Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I think Ekkar is campys greatest effort since 11 speed was released. Its a good one and I think will be very successful for them.
I am going to argue that it’s since record 10. In the 10spd era, Campagnolo was lighter and at least I thought shifted noticeably better than 7900-era parts. It should also be noted that era of Shimano was far uglier than what we have today. Record 10 was also a lot more durable than sram 10. I’m not picking on sram because it’s in vogue, They had a lot of shifter failures in that era. The bolts were also very soft in my experience.

I think it’s reasonable to say record 10 had clear advantages were 11spd became more about preference and ergonomics. Ekar is similar to record 10. It offers a pretty compelling package that others don’t quite match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
Bikes are ugly "currently".... so groupsets are obliged to follow in order to fit the aesthetic.
I agree with where you are going here but I can appreciate both appearances. I love my silver Campagnolo bits but they would look odd on a modern gravel or all-road bike.

I think both my bikes posted on page 2 look pretty good. Switching the components, while possible, would look silly.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 02-28-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:08 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I agree with where you are going here but I can appreciate both appearances. I love my silver Campagnolo bits but they would look odd on a modern gravel or all-road bike.

I think both my bikes posted on page 2 look pretty good. Switching the components, while possible, would look silly.
Right? Both your bikes look "pretty good" I agree. But one of those bike frames is in the conversation of a beautiful bike and the other certainly is not and we both know which ones I am talking about.

That's my point. Are carbon fiber components ever going to be beautiful? No. Or at least no one has made any to date. But they're also not definitely "UGLY", at least a lot of the Campagnolo ones aren't. Campagnolo Record level carbon levers are very nice, but they're not beautiful.

Those carbon components will never be beautiful in a C-Record sense, but at least they're not stupid, which is what putting heavy chunks of polished aluminum would be on a 2021 carbon fiber pro-team bike. If we want things to function over a massive range cassette moving like an ultra-lightweight, multi-articulation, mechanical "arm" or "hand"... it's going to look like that.

Horses for courses.

Last edited by rain dogs; 02-28-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Bikes are ugly "currently".... so groupsets are obliged to follow in order to fit the aesthetic.
Only the ugly ones are ugly.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Right? Both your bikes look "pretty good" I agree. But one of those bike frames is in the conversation of a beautiful bike and the other certainly is not and we both know which ones I am talking about.
Agreed. I would never call the yeti beautiful. I like the way it looks, but it’s not “pretty” or “beautiful.” Something can look good without being those other things.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 02-28-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:35 PM

Last edited by indy.cyclist; 02-28-2021 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Removed with my apologies and regret.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy.cyclist View Post
Bikes (and their components) are like women.
Stop saying **** like this. Seriously, it's gross.

Last edited by joevers; 02-28-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:00 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
I am going to argue that it’s since record 10. In the 10spd era, Campagnolo was lighter and at least I thought shifted noticeably better than 7900-era parts. It should also be noted that era of Shimano was far uglier than what we have today. Record 10 was also a lot more durable than sram 10. I’m not picking on sram because it’s in vogue, They had a lot of shifter failures in that era. The bolts were also very soft in my experience.

I think it’s reasonable to say record 10 had clear advantages were 11spd became more about preference and ergonomics. Ekar is similar to record 10. It offers a pretty compelling package that others don’t quite match.

I mean, what does ekar offer that others don't? an extra speed? I think ekar is great but lets not pretend its something above and beyond something else available. Its an extra speed and thats it.

Quote:
Bikes (and their components) are like women.
1. You can only compare within the age group
2. Your shared experiences affect your perception of beauty
3. After you are a certain age, don't bother looking at the latest models
yes, please stop this crap, not only is offensive, not funny, not true and not the mentality we should have is 2021.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I mean, what does ekar offer that others don't? an extra speed? I think ekar is great but lets not pretend its something above and beyond something else available. Its an extra speed and thats it.

Yes Ekar offers an extra gear and lighter weight, which is exactly what Campy has done with every other new group release in the past. But also, IMO, the brakes are above and beyond in performance as compared to any other hydro group and the gearing jumps are set up to have only 1 tooth jumps at the bottom of the cassette for road riding. No other 1x group gets this done as well Ekar currently. And, of course, it’s Campy and gravel specific.

But back to the thread topic - it’s also got much less carbon than the road groups so there could be silver versions in the future.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:16 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibran View Post
Yes Ekar offers an extra gear and lighter weight, which is exactly what Campy has done with every other new group release in the past. But also, IMO, the brakes are above and beyond in performance as compared to any other hydro group and the gearing jumps are set up to have only 1 tooth jumps at the bottom of the cassette for road riding. No other 1x group gets this done as well Ekar currently. And, of course, it’s Campy and gravel specific.

But back to the thread topic - it’s also got much less carbon than the road groups so there could be silver versions in the future.
Agree on brake performance, I think the magura... I mean campy hydros are a cut above both shimano and sram. They really are fantastic, but thats not ekar specific so I didnt mention it, hydro campy has been out was before ekar and was released way after shim and sram but did they nail it.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:24 PM

The problem is that the grey and black of the carbon parts don’t show off any shape. Like the aluminum parts did. The silver just showed off the shape more. So equipment makers had to think how the cranks looked. A black crank just looks blocky and chunky.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiser View Post
The problem is that the grey and black of the carbon parts don’t show off any shape. Like the aluminum parts did. The silver just showed off the shape more. So equipment makers had to think how the cranks looked. A black crank just looks blocky and chunky.
what he said
Old 02-28-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Compared to shimano 1x, it’s two cogs. That’s huge for a 1x drop bar bike. As noted above, it’s lighter and offers the best brakes in the industry (reportedly)

That’s all pretty significant given it costs less than a chorus disc group. If the rumors elsewhere are true, we also may not see Shimano 12 speed for drop bar bikes until mid-late 2022. Sram seems to have given up on mechanical drop bar groups. All said, I would say that makes it a pretty unique product in an otherwise mature market.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
No matter what you write, someone will look for and find offense in it.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:20 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Compared to shimano 1x, it’s two cogs. That’s huge for a 1x drop bar bike. As noted above, it’s lighter and offers the best brakes in the industry (reportedly)

That’s all pretty significant given it costs less than a chorus disc group. If the rumors elsewhere are true, we also may not see Shimano 12 speed for drop bar bikes until mid-late 2022. Sram seems to have given up on mechanical drop bar groups. All said, I would say that makes it a pretty unique product in an otherwise mature market.

and thats the thing, shimano does not even need to, they still gonna sell more GRX than campy will sell Ekar. And yeah in 1x even 1 cog matters and ekar is great, I am a fan (minus the thumb button of course )
Old 02-28-2021, 06:23 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
No matter what you write, someone will look for and find offense in it.
yeah, when its offensive people usually do that. We need to do better, comparing bikes and cars to women or that old mentality crap is long due to disapear.