Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2021, 05:37 PM

I too really like the Erickson Sweet post. It is by far the easiest to adjust for me.

I ran exclusively Thomson seat posts prior to the Erickson and found them easy to adjust as well.

Ride safe and stay healthy.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:57 PM

I will take an Easton ISA seatpost over anything else. I certainly haven't used them all, but coming from the aggravating two bolt Enve clamp, the Easton design is pure bliss. You can move the saddle without changing the seat angle, and conversely it allows for angle adjustments without loosening the seat clamp.

https://eastoncycling.com/products/ec90-sl-isa-seatpost
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210227-175253_Chrome.jpg (88.7 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by JWB475; 02-27-2021 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWB475 View Post
I will take an Easton ISA seatpost over anything else. I certainly haven't used them all, but coming from the aggravating two bolt Enve clamp, the Easton design is pure bliss. You can move the saddle without changing the seat angle, and conversely it allows for angle adjustments without loosening the seat clamp.

Unfortunately, they only make it in a 27.2mm diameter.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
IMO the Salsa Shaft seatpost is the best for adjustments. The fore/aft and tilt adjustments are completely independent from each other and each can be adjusted without affecting the other. The only tools needed for adjusting are a 5mm and 6mm hex. A multi-tool works great.

It’s the only bike component I hoard.
I have one of these stashed away too. I think I remember that it was longer than I needed and I didn't want to cut it down in case I needed a long post for some future bike.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb475 View Post
i will take an easton isa seatpost over anything else. I certainly haven't used them all, but coming from the aggravating two bolt enve clamp, the easton design is pure bliss. You can move the saddle without changing the seat angle, and conversely it allows for angle adjustments without loosening the seat clamp.

x2!!!
Old 02-27-2021, 06:45 PM
Rockstruck

Great suggestions. If possible I would start with a Salsa, but the EA90 would match the EA90 cranks. Please lmk if there any sellers here of any of the posts mentioned.

I am most interest is getting tilt right, as I have always gone flat. But with a totally new setup, I found tilted way back to be surprisingly comfortable. Sitting solidly on the sit bones I could easily rode balanced with my hands llfted 2-3 inches off the bars.

I have tracked the DK thread here on PRO saddles, and others, and want a controlled way to isolate things a bit. I used to be blessedly resolved on saddle setup, but that was bitd of one road bike, better bod, etc.

Last edited by RWL2222; 02-27-2021 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-27-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Absolutely love this one. Salsa uses or used the same design.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Unfortunately, they only make it in a 27.2mm diameter.
If you're bike needs a larger diameter, seat post shims work very well.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
Absolutely love this one. Salsa uses or used the same design.
I understand they will no longer sell them.

Shame
Old 02-28-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
By that I mean that when it is fully torqued front and back, you can loosen one bolt a tiny smidge and tighten the other the same smidge to adjust the tilt.

With the Cyrano I can't do that. I have to loosen the rear bolt a few turns before I can get the front bolt to budge. It's not a big deal but it does increase the risk that you might accidently knock it around mid adjustment and mess up the setback.

Yes, this explanation is why I dumped the Fizik. It doesn't seem like such a hard problem but they didn't solve it: how to grip the rails in with one control, and change angle with another. I found it exasperating to adjust and went with a one-bole ENVE--also not great, since once you knock the bolt lose, the universe goes back to pre big-bang and you start at zero again.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post
Yes, this explanation is why I dumped the Fizik. It doesn't seem like such a hard problem but they didn't solve it: how to grip the rails in with one control, and change angle with another. I found it exasperating to adjust and went with a one-bole ENVE--also not great, since once you knock the bolt lose, the universe goes back to pre big-bang and you start at zero again.
Yeah I hate my Enve post for micro adjusting. Absolute PITA.

I do like the Deda superleggero post, it's a two bolt design and as others have noted, with a two bolt you can ease off tension on one bolt and tighten the other to get appropriate saddle angle without affecting fore/aft.

All the two bolt seatposts I've encountered have been similar in that respect - ease one off and tighten the other and you're able to tweak well. The Cyrano that's been cited sounds like an outlier.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:26 PM
Rockstruck

You know, I am glad I asked. I figured I was simply fiddling with old technology again. But the issue seems very current, at least for road riding.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:48 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Another vote for the Salsa Shaft but unfortunately they are no longer available.
Tilt and fore/aft are independently adjustable.

I have two, nyah nyah!

Among other two bolt setback posts, I recommend the Zipp Service Course. I have one on a road bike (only because I couldn't get a Salsa Shaft!). The bolts have easy access from the underside with a 5mm allen wrench. I loosen the rear bolt, and either slide it on the rails or, to adjust the tilt, tweak the front bolt, then tighten the rear bolt.

The seatpost also comes with an angle scale on the drive side of the post.
I've got a couple Zipp posts in service right now. Couple more that don't fit the current bikes as backups

Easier than that, however, is the American Classic seatpost I have on the Giordana.

As long as you're not landing on it (like racing CX) a Control Tech seatpost is pretty easy too, but it does have ridges so it isn't infinitely positionable

The Shimano/Pro Vibe seatpost is 1-bolt, so is pretty easy to adjust as well.

HTH

M
Old 02-28-2021, 08:11 PM

Agree with the Eriksen, Moots and Thompson. I found the Syntace pretty easy to adjust as well.