Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 10:49 AM

Advice on giving up running for cycling

I've been thinking about this topic for the better part of a year and the past couple weeks have highlighted the need for me to make a decision/commitment in one direction or another.

Sooo..., let me explain. I've been slowly transitioning from a six-day-a-week runner to cycling 5-6 days/week over the past five years. when I say transitioning here's what I mean. At my peak, I was running over 3600 miles a year and cycling maybe once a week on my off running day. I'm now down to running one to two times per week on my off cycling days with each run being about 8-10 miles. I'm generally cycling between 150-250 miles per week on 4-6 rides (consistently around 8-10k miles/year for the past 3 years).

I generally need to be active or the folks around me at the office, my wife and kids have a tough time tolerating me. I'd like to continue running but I don't want to give up the amount of cycling that I'm doing. With the little that I'm running my legs have recently started indicating (they are sore the day after which is a completely new phenomenon for me) that I'm not in very good running shape. A close friend who is also a cyclist recently suggested that my poor running form may actually be hurting my cycling. I ran and cycled two days ago and cycled again yesterday and did notice that my legs felt more sore than I would have expected. I'm also starting to notice it in my knees which I attribute to either age or my lack of run miles.

I'm looking for advice from those of you who run and ride and those who have given up running for cycling. Anybody have a similar experience? What'd you do? I'd like to still be running/riding until I hit the wall at the end.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:14 AM
needs adult supervision

I feel ya. I grew up in Oregon. So I ran (it's actually a state law) and I pretty much ran every day for 20 years. Some summers I ran 100+ miles a week. But then my body began to breakdown. Running will do that. Got into triathlons to get my racing fix and shift the wear-and-tear on my body. Then I realized how much I loved cycling. For last decade, I've been a 85-90% cyclist. I run mostly in winter when snow makes riding too dangerous. That said, deep down, I'm a runner. I love the simplicity and the connection to the landscape that feels even more intimate than when I ride. One fact is inescapable, I think: running beats your legs/hips up in ways riding doesn't, and once your body isn't running daily, the days you do run, man, you feel it more.

For me, the peace came not from something I did physically but psychologically. As we age and the miles pile up on our bodies, I think most of us need to accept a simpler goal. Once, my goals were running goals. Then they were cycling goals. Now my goal is to be as fit as I can by whatever methods I can. Thinking of myself as, simply, an athlete -- not a runner or cyclist -- lets me listen to my body and each day to do what my body allows. Majority of days that's riding. Some days running. Some days the gym. Some days yoga. Some days the pool. Some days the sofa.

How we see ourselves, how we label ourselves, how we set our goals shapes so much and defines our happiness with ourselves. Now, for me, any day I can call myself an athlete, I'm happy. Maybe the next step in your journey is in your head, then your body can follow? Good luck!
Old 04-19-2018, 11:16 AM

when i was doing both

I was fine, as long as I had no specific competitive goals for either. I rode 50 miles a day (25 commute each way) and ran at lunch, 5-8 miles, sometimes 12 on Friday. I did not run on weekends and often did one hard ride, like the local Swami's a ride. I think much of the cycling was what we'd call junk miles here--hard effort but not hard enough to matter and not easy enough for good recovery. I noticed I needed additional electrolytes, and accelerade stuff worked for me. I also had dead legs on climbs toward the end of the week. I just had to learn to do easier rides, which I did, with a few quality sessions. Even training for Boston, I did no true speed work, just hard tempo stuff, and had to really back off on hard riding. I have a "See somebody, catch them" attitude, so that took effort to just relax and cruise. Injuries sidelined my running for 3 years and I am just now trying to get back into it. It is far more spiritual to me and I hated not being out there. I've been doing mtb for nearly 2 years vice no road riding, and find that impacts running less. I have a friend how is a genetic freak who can do well running once a week, but for me I need at least 3 runs a week to make any progress or sustain the ability--less and as you say it just creates tightness and soreness for me. My empty mile in running has gotten longer, which began at age 42...
good luck
Old 04-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Two wheels good

I have a few friends who were serious runners until their knees finally couldn't take it. When you are younger you think the future is far off or that you'll be the exception to the rule. Now I know a few, fit, lifelong runners, who are getting their knees replaced at 50 years old. You would never believe that they are candidates for knee replacements as they look fit (unlike the overweight people who come to mind when you think knee replacement). They now ride exclusively, and happily, are doing it pain-free.

Last edited by avalonracing; 04-19-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:26 AM

I just started running four years ago, after riding for 40+ years.

Riding set me up to be a much better runner than I would be otherwise (overall aerobic fitness, glut strength, understanding of the mental aspect of running and competition "going faster is a choice...", etc.)

I'm doing a lot more running now because I really enjoy it, and have much to learn on each run...

If you don't want to give up running, take a good hard look at your form and your diet. Some foods help with joint health and recovery (avocado, salmon, etc) and others promote inflammation (dairy).

As we get older, we also have to add in an additional rest day after a hard workout or race. It takes us longer to recover...

Also, there isn't much science regarding extending running and knee/joint wear. Sure, lots of people stop running because their knees hurt...but most of them are getting older and heavier and might have had these symptoms appear earlier if they hadn't been running...

Last edited by C40_guy; 04-19-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:28 AM

I am a consistent 2 day run/4 bike most of the year, have been doing this for years.

Difficult to go hard back to back days (run to bike or vice versa) for me so takes some balance. Soreness does recede after time.

59 years old so was never a high mileage runner primarily speedy half marathons.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:28 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I've been thinking about this topic for the better part of a year and the past couple weeks have highlighted the need for me to make a decision/commitment in one direction or another.

Sooo..., let me explain. I've been slowly transitioning from a six-day-a-week runner to cycling 5-6 days/week over the past five years. when I say transitioning here's what I mean. At my peak, I was running over 3600 miles a year and cycling maybe once a week on my off running day. I'm now down to running one to two times per week on my off cycling days with each run being about 8-10 miles. I'm generally cycling between 150-250 miles per week on 4-6 rides (consistently around 8-10k miles/year for the past 3 years).

I generally need to be active or the folks around me at the office, my wife and kids have a tough time tolerating me. I'd like to continue running but I don't want to give up the amount of cycling that I'm doing. With the little that I'm running my legs have recently started indicating (they are sore the day after which is a completely new phenomenon for me) that I'm not in very good running shape. A close friend who is also a cyclist recently suggested that my poor running form may actually be hurting my cycling. I ran and cycled two days ago and cycled again yesterday and did notice that my legs felt more sore than I would have expected. I'm also starting to notice it in my knees which I attribute to either age or my lack of run miles.

I'm looking for advice from those of you who run and ride and those who have given up running for cycling. Anybody have a similar experience? What'd you do? I'd like to still be running/riding until I hit the wall at the end.

Cow- I run and ride, but I never ran more than 4 times a week compared to your 6. That is just too much for me and doesn't leave time for much riding. That is with me being an unmarried guy with no kids. My yearly running milage has always been about 1500 miles with 2-3 marathons or ultras a year and cycling season consisting of road, TT, and cross races.

My plan when moving from running to cycling and running has been
3x week Run with a goal (1 recovery Wednesday, 1 focused workout Friday, 1 long run on Saturday/Sunday which ever has nicer weather)
3x week Cycle with a goal: 3 hours total (30 min Tuesday, 1 hour thursday, 90 min Saturday or Sunday depending on weather)

No double days meaning, no days where I ride and run. That leaves me with 1 day to do nothing but relax. That day is always up in the air and I never stress out about missing a workout or adding an extra off day if needed.

Overall, the quantity of miles and running workouts has been cut in half, but the quality of the 3 runs a week I am doing is more focused. Less burn out, more options.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:39 AM

Don't know whether to be seriously impressed or concerned about the beating OP is giving his body. But I'm in my 60's - my body couldn't take that kind of day-in, day-out punishment. I wonder if at some point OP might need to consider a rest day or two in the week.

Sooner or later, your body is going to talk back to you about that routine. That may be what's going on now. Say hello to midlife, and having sore muscles.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Don't know whether to be seriously impressed or concerned about the beating OP is giving his body. But I'm in my 60's - my body couldn't take that kind of day-in, day-out punishment. I wonder if at some point OP might need to consider a rest day or two in the week.

Sooner or later, your body is going to talk back to you about that routine. That may be what's going on now. Say hello to midlife, and having sore muscles.

This is an excellent point and my approach since moving from just running to a combo of running and riding has been to just go by what my body is telling me. This typically results in a rest day about once every two weeks but there is usually a third that results from family/work.

Your point is also well taken b/c as I mentioned, I want to stay active until I’m gone. As was mentioned above, maybe I need to work additional activities in and/or think differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post

Boy I agree. My body couldn’t take that punishment even when I was young and very fit. There was a stretch in my early 20’s when I was doing some combo of running, riding, swimming, playing basketball every day and I as sore all the time and I didn’t have a solid bowel movement for about a year.

I was a regular runner for a long time but then tapered off due to work and family life. I continued to ride because I like it better and when I tried to pick it back up (age early and mid forties) my quads would be so sore the next day I could barely walk. I tried twice and actually was starting to get better before life got in the way again. I guess my point is to make sure you’re good and ready to give it up before you do, because it will be exponentially harder to start back as you get older.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post

First off 3600 miles a year is a lot ! That's right at 70 miles a week ! How old are you ? How long have you been running that kind of annual mileage ?

In my 40 years of running and right under 65K total miles run, I've known a lot of runners at different levels. With the exception of a Pro or semi-Pro, I've never come across someone who ran that kind of mileage -- at least for a sustained number of years.

No offense but unless you are in your 20's to mid-30's or have extremely good genetics where your body can take that kind of mileage, I don't think I'd be out of line to say you are in the mode of "diminishing returns". Again no offense.

I'll be 65 in 8 weeks and from the age of 38 to 56 I averaged 2100 miles a year. Over 2000 miles 18 years straight. I'm far from being gifted or fast , was just conservative and consistent. I raced a lot in my 30's to 50, then I got burnt out on the competitive aspect of running. Plus injuries started piling up where it changed my form and I could no longer run the times of past years.

I've always ridden a bike , begrudgingly though. I love to run, I tolerate the bike. Usually every ride starts out with my mind saying -- I hate this, why am I doing this ? ...I should have just run today. Usually within 20 minutes the negative thoughts goes away and I have a good time and get in a decent workout.. But it ain't the same as running.

At 56 , with my Hallux Rigidus- stiffening of the big toe joint - progressing to stage 4 in the left and stage 3 in the right, I started incorporating the bike on a more regular basis.

I guess it helps, I have to do something, I'm addicted to exercise and getting my heart rate up. I can't swim worth a damn. Hate working out on cardio machines indoors. I can't consistently run 6-7 days a week , 21 days in a row like I could in my 40's. You mentioned dead legs - I did find many crosstraining days on the bike would leave my legs dead for the run the following day. It seemed to be in cycles though.

At around age 60 I got best results with : run - bike - day totally off - shorter recovery run, no more then 45 minutes. Repeat that 4 day cycle. It simply takes longer for the recovery the older we get.

I hit 1720 miles in 2016. A really good year for me after bouncing back from prostate cancer radiation in 2015.

However 2017 was a nightmare. I sustained a fractured pelvis/sacrum bone - totally unrelated to running- by falling off one of those Bosu balls , barefoot and flat side up. Without a doubt the most stupid thing I've ever done in my life ! The Ortho said it was initially a hairline fracture but in my stubborn/know-it all way of thinking - it's just a sciatica issue, I'll work through it - I ran on it for 6.5 months. He said it made matters MUCH worse. Runners are stubborn and can be idiots ...lol

I've been in recovery mode for the last 8 months. I walk and ride easy- try and stay off steep hills. Haven't run a step since Aug. 22 '17, I'm goin' crazy needless to say. I'm confident I will be back but the healing at my age is very slow.

But I know runners who were much more talented then me that ran the high mileage for 10 -20 years and then they started having problems. One woman consistently ran 3000 miles a year. Always racing, always in that training cycle of long runs, track workout, tempo runs, etc. She qualified for two Olympic Marathon trials both in 2000 and '04 . But then her knees finally gave out . She's 8 years younger then me. She does the bike just a little but her and her husband are now walking maniacs ! They go on "vacations" where they walk 30 miles a day for a week straight. She's a different breed.

So I would say - yeah keep running if it's your true passion like me. But definitely incorporate the bike and very important imo - don't neglect running specific strengthening exercises - squats, lunges , leg presses, general core stuff. I feel that, even more so then the bike, has kept me still in the ballgame.

This is often said but needs to be repeated and adhered to especially in the late 40's on-- listen to your body. A day or two off is a good thing. When you're young and all cylinders are firing, you feel like you're invincible. You can't fathom things ever being different. You feel you can run forever, as fast and as far as you want. Sorry to say everything changes . It's not if but when. Again, you don't have to be epic, just conservative and consistent.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 04-20-2018 at 07:58 AM. Reason: added thought
Old 04-19-2018, 02:32 PM

Do whatever is fun, don't worry about it. There's not need to work out as much as you are, and you shouldn't feel bad about backing off. Find another hobby to fill up your time if you have that much time.

3600 miles is a good year for a lot of amateur cyclists, it's pretty insane for running for most of us who aren't super gifted runners.

But it's all about what you enjoy, if the running is super fun for you, try to do it. If cycling is more fun, be a cyclist and enjoy it.

I ran as a kid and everything went downhill for me really fast as soon as I turned into an adult. Running just meant injuries, constantly. When I tried cycling I pretty much instantly discovered I found it way more fun. I occasionally wish I could be a runner but I don't worry about it much!
Old 04-19-2018, 02:58 PM

I'LL echo the responses about 3600 running miles being incredible. For a few years it seemed I did nothing but run and still getting over 2000 miles was a lot. Started running high school track in 1963 and lasted about 30 years. The last few in the 1970's and 80's were in the competitive running boom and involved training for sub 3:00 hour marathons.
Always biked as a secondary sport, picking that up as running injuries mounted in the 1980's. A couple of arthroscopic surgeries on a knee and I was done running.
At 71 I have bone on bone on both knees and am putting off knee replacements as long as I can ride a couple thousand miles a year. That's getting more and more touch and go and you should see me go down stairs. I look like an old man, which I guess I am.
So, while everyone varies, I'd definitely recommend ditching the running while you have any cartilage left in the knees. This will increase your chances of riding through your 70's and 80's significantly I'd say.
Biking is actually good for the knees overall ... running is a disaster building slowly.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:58 PM

Let me offer a different perspective. I ride about 12K miles a year, 5K of it commuting. Most of my miles come from a single weekend ride (randonneuring). I also try to trail run twice a week, maybe 20 miles/wk.

I reduced my running a couple years ago, down to maybe once every couple weeks. I got faster cycling, felt stronger, but then developed some knee problem that I attribute to muscle imbalance. I think running is good cross training that could reduce overuse injuries. It is also much more time efficient.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:12 PM

Here's my argument for continuing primarily running...

https://www.ted.com/talks/christophe...pt?language=en