Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2024, 10:48 AM
n - 1

(Urban) cycling trip destination suggestions

Summer is over halfway done for my kids and I feel the need to spend more time with them. The oldest is 15 and she’s a runner. And likes to bike as well.
I am thinking of taking her and flying to a city and sightseeing using our bikes. Fortunately, I have 2 Bromptons that we can take.

She’s not an avid cyclist so somewhere flat-ish where we can bike around easily. And Points of Interest not too far from the city (we’ll be in a hotel). Of course, needless to mention, good, safe bike lanes or paths.

Due to the time of the year, I guess this limits me to the northern part of the U.S. or maybe even Canada. But please feel free to post all possible places, as there is a mini-break in October we can use as well.

Hopefully, big enough city with a major airport so we can get there cheap(er) and quick for a weekend trip.

Any suggestions?

Couple places I was thinking, that I haven’t spent any time in are Minneapolis and Portland (OR).

Last edited by p nut; 07-18-2024 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2024, 10:53 AM
Administrator

I was in Pittsburgh not long ago and impressed with the cycling and pedestrian infrastructure. Perhaps put that on your list.
Old 07-18-2024, 12:54 PM

Has she seen DC? Plenty of stuff to see by bike downtown (the Mall, monuments, etc), plus 3+ bike trails leading out of the city (W&OD west, C&O northwest, and GW Parkway to Mount Vernon). Weather will be swampy, but better than the southeast. Easy rail access from National Airport or Dulles. The mini-break in October would be better for weather, so just depends if you want a full week or just a long weekend.
Old 07-18-2024, 01:06 PM

I would second DC, although I would definitely not go in the summer :-) I live in the Southeast and think that DC gets just as bad with the heat and humidity. October would indeed be a lovely time though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Has she seen DC? Plenty of stuff to see by bike downtown (the Mall, monuments, etc), plus 3+ bike trails leading out of the city (W&OD west, C&O northwest, and GW Parkway to Mount Vernon). Weather will be swampy, but better than the southeast. Easy rail access from National Airport or Dulles. The mini-break in October would be better for weather, so just depends if you want a full week or just a long weekend.
Old 07-18-2024, 01:12 PM

Third for DC, but only if you are all okay with heat and humidity!

Another idea would be somewhere like San Diego or Santa Barbara where you can bike to a nice beach or have a nice coastal path.
Old 07-18-2024, 01:40 PM
ZhugeLiang

Check out some of the videos of this father _daughter team riding together, funny and heart warming, inspired me to want to do something similar with one of my daughters some day. I think one important distinction here is, it was the daughter who initiated the idea, and that in itself can change the dynamics of the whole trip.

https://youtu.be/RZhFq0VhIfo?feature=shared

https://youtube.com/@aspenswanderings?feature=shared

Last edited by weisan; 07-18-2024 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2024, 01:49 PM

My wife says Toronto can be boring, but I love living here and think it could meet your criteria.

Good transit from airport to downtown - direct train with only 3 or 4 stops.
Pretty good cycling paths along the lake and up the major river valleys - easily accessible from most major hotels downtown.
OK cycle tracks downtown moving east west, north south no so much.
Good transit in the city core.
If you want to get out of the City, can easily take a train to Niagara Falls with your bikes.

Museums, art gallery, shopping etc. is good to very good

Only big negative would be bike theft is pretty bad here, bring good locks.

If you decide on Toronto, let me know and I can help plan an itinerary based on interest and budget.
Old 07-18-2024, 01:57 PM

I'm going to suggest Philadelphia. I worked there for a year and a half (flew in weekly), kept a bike downtown but never a car, was pleasantly surprised by the cycling infrastructure.

SEPTA trains go from every terminal in the airport to downtown. Check out both the circuit trails and Scuylkillriver trails. These are protected greenways that go all the way from downtown Philadelphia out to Valley forge and form a pretty large trail network.

Not quite as many monuments as DC but still a ton to see downtwon (constitution hall, liberty bell, museum of art, University of Pennsylvania, etc.). Summer can be warm but less so than DC or the southeast.

https://schuylkillriver.org/schuylki...-that-connect/

https://circuittrails.org/
Old 07-18-2024, 02:15 PM

I don't know if everyone's passports are in order, but Montreal is a great cycling city. I haven't been there in at least 6 years but it would be near the top of my list for a good urban cycling destination. I can't wait to visit again.

I love Montreal. Super relaxed vibe, great restaurants, great music scene. The locals have a sort of open contempt for loud Americans like me that I find honestly amusing and charming. You just have to kind of roll with it.
Old 07-18-2024, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
Not quite as many monuments as DC but still a ton to see downtwon (constitution hall, liberty bell, museum of art, University of Pennsylvania, etc.). Summer can be warm but less so than DC or the southeast.
Philly is a good choice too. I might pick DC for the sheer number of monuments you can see without having to lock up the bike.

Another smaller city option could be Charlottesville. There's a regional airport, but might be pricey to fly in/out (you'll have to check, I only used it for company-paid trips when I was at UVA and interviewing elsewhere). UVA and the city are easily covered by bike. Monticello is about 5 miles outside the city center - pretty sure there are MUP trails to get there without taking the road. It could be a pretty cool pre-college trip - do the tour, see the campus, etc. Even if she's not interested in UVA, it's one of the oldest unis in the US, so worth a visit and tour.
Old 07-18-2024, 02:47 PM

Where do you live? If you are considering a weekend trip I would think using 1/2 day each way would be as much time as you would want to waste getting to your ride's starting point.
Old 07-18-2024, 03:08 PM
n - 1

Great suggestions! Looks like NE is the region to consider. Just on gut reaction, I’m liking the Toronto or Montreal idea. We just renewed our passports earlier this year so we’re good to go.
I also like Penn and DC suggestions as well. I’ll have to do some digging. Thanks all!
(FYI, I’ll be flying out of Salt Lake City. Thought is to leave Thurs and fly back Mon. Or something like that).
Old 07-18-2024, 03:28 PM

DC can be so hot and muggy though, even though I enjoy visiting.

SoCal or the Pacific NW (including Canada) would be high on my list.
Old 07-18-2024, 03:36 PM
Older Than You

Minneapolis is great. Cycling everywhere. I've been there 3 times and keep finding new routes to take.

Very bike friendly community. PeopleforBikes top rated large city for 2024.
Old 07-19-2024, 10:33 AM
n - 1

I’ve heard good things about Minneapolis. Too hot and muggy right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytyree View Post
DC can be so hot and muggy though, even though I enjoy visiting.

SoCal or the Pacific NW (including Canada) would be high on my list.
Yes, good point about the weather in DC.

Are you talking Vancouver? Good cycling city?