Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The 12 spoke rear wheels proved unreliable, so the Shamal rear wheels returned to 16 spokes in 1998 (fronts stayed with 12). The original deep rimmed Shamal "fluid dynamic" aero wheels disappeared after 2001.
The front went to 14.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:15 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Aluminum freehub.
And all ti Record 8s cogset only...1996, like the same, gold box, rear hub.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:18 PM

BTW, you can convert those to 9/10/11 speed (unlike some of the later models ) IFF you can find the proper freehub body.....
Old 03-17-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
The front went to 14.

Yes, that's right, thanks for the correction. When the rear wheel went back to 16 spokes in 1998, the front stayed at 12 spokes for that year, and then went to 14 front spokes in 1999.

So, the Shamal spoke count evolution went:

1993 - 1995: 16F/16R

1996 - 1997: 12F/12R

1998: 12F/16R

1999 - 2001: 14F/16R
Old 03-17-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remko View Post
Thank you very much for the explanation. Can you value my wheelset if I want to sell it on ebay?
Best thing to do is do an advanced search on eBay, and choose sold listings to see what people have been getting for them.

I sold a pair (pink labels--and I think 12/16s) a couple of years ago when the Great Recession was on and didn't get a lot for them.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
And all ti Record 8s cogset only...1996, like the same, gold box, rear hub.
I don't recall what I used (cassette) originally when I built my wife's Serotta CSI back in '94/'95.....maybe Campy ti, maybe Boone cogs. Later I upgraded the bike to 9 speed using ActionTec ti cassette. My wife is riding her Serotta again and I found a lock ring (ActionTec lockring cracked) for her 650c Shamals.......one sharp looking machine.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:44 AM
ZhugeLiang

Remko pal, not to hijack your thread but rather since we are on topic with Shamal...

So, I scored a rear Shamal rim recently from my co-op and been thinking about how to build it up. Apparently it uses the G3 lacing pattern. I looked on eBay and boy, those proprietary spokes are expensive, remind me of the Ksyriums.

The question is: first of all, where do I find a G3-compatible hub?

Old 03-18-2016, 05:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
BTW, you can convert those to 9/10/11 speed (unlike some of the later models ) IFF you can find the proper freehub body.....
Yes for non HPW..needed a 1997/early 1998 Record or Chorus 9s freehub body.

HPW, the FH body sat too low in the hub shell and the big cog hit the shell.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Remko pal, not to hijack your thread but rather since we are on topic with Shamal...

So, I scored a rear Shamal rim recently from my co-op and been thinking about how to build it up. Apparently it uses the G3 lacing pattern. I looked on eBay and boy, those proprietary spokes are expensive, remind me of the Ksyriums.

You don't really unless you find a toasted rear wheel, then cannibalize the hub..
Old 03-18-2016, 05:58 AM

The original model Shamal is forever immortalized in the annals of awesomeness for their being utilized in this (admittedly enhanced) performance:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EPO%20trio%202-M.jpg (106.2 KB, 96 views)
Old 03-18-2016, 06:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
The original model Shamal is forever immortalized in the annals of awesomeness for their being utilized in this (admittedly enhanced) performance:
When those were brand new, Campagnolo offered a 'reward' for any pro who won a race(stage) using them. GWeiss Ballan were famous as they were the cutting edge of EPO use in 1993...DeRosa also, and some of the first titanium DeRosa's.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:15 AM

I saw at ebay a campagnolo hub that was made with G3 lacing, cant remember if it was standard or straight pull tho. But then you might have another problem, the nipple holes might not be able to hold a regular spoke nipple. Worth check it out.

Quote:

Old 03-18-2016, 06:19 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
But then you might have another problem, the nipple holes might not be able to hold a regular spoke nipple.
No problem...

thanks for the tip, ultra pal.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
When those were brand new, Campagnolo offered a 'reward' for any pro who won a race(stage) using them. GWeiss Ballan were famous as they were the cutting edge of EPO use in 1993...DeRosa also, and some of the first titanium DeRosa's.
That was an awesome team. I had a chance once to check out the bikes up close...The mechanic told me that The old gentleman himself (Ugo) had a particular interest in titanium and that he and Doriano were the only ones to have a hand in the building of the titanium bikes. Interestingly, Berzin had a steel bike -somewhat but not exactly like a Primato in that it had EL/OS tubing-that was painted in titanium colored paint with the blue fade and was even decaled "Titanio" to match the other bikes. I'm not sure what it was about as he also had a Titanio...The greatest thing may have been the bike rack that was built for about twelve bikes and custom made to fit the team's Mercedes station wagons...made from Columbus tubing...by DeRosa. It was a real work of art...
Old 03-18-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Assuming you can use standard spokes & nipples with that rim, you can use any standard 28 hole hub, and skip every other hole on the NDS. You won't be able to use standard spoke calculators for the spoke lengths, but with a little bit of trigonometry you can work out the correct lengths.

Tags
campagnolo, record, shamal, vintage, wheel