Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds (Cycling Products)

Old 09-23-2021, 06:41 PM

WTB - small CX/fatter tire road bike

My last several outings on my road bike (Serotta CIII) I found myself wishing the whole ride that my bike was riding on a fatter tire. Many of the roads that I frequent are pure crap, and more volume would surely help out.
I thought that I had tracked down a beautiful Ti all rounder, but sadly determined that it was just going to be too tall for my 5'6" shorter legged self.
My intent is to make this my primary pavement ride, keeping in mind that some of my road rides have packed dirt sections.

So, if you have or know of a small sized (52-53cm ett 72-73ish cm standover 70cm saddle height) CX/fatty fitting road bike that you aren't riding, let me know. Rim brakes are great, maybe preferred. I'm hoping to keep the budget in the $1500 range. Budget could stretch for something exceptionally tempting

Thanks for looking,
Henry

Last edited by henrypretz; 09-23-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:22 PM
but not really

Angry scientist must have a few dozen bikes in that basement of his that would work.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrypretz View Post
My last several outings on my road bike (Serotta CIII) I found myself wishing the whole ride that my bike was riding on a fatter tire. Many of the roads that I frequent are pure crap, and more volume would surely help out.
Just being a bit of a devil’s advocate or contrarian here.

You’d be surprised by the ride difference you’d experience using 27 or 28 mm tubular tires, running lower pressures, on box section alloy rims… less chance of a pinch flat on a pothole or rock as well. Something like Vittoria Paves on Ambrosio Nemesis or Magic Reflex rims, for example.

If you are using tape to mount tubulars it’s not that intimidating.

That CIII is a lovely riding bike. I owned one several years ago but eventually sold it as it was too small and wasn’t getting miles. I’d think 27’s would fit.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:49 AM

I'm currently running Vittoria Corsa Control 25c width that measure just a hair under 27mm on H+ Archetype rims @65-70psi. I'm using Vittoria latex tubes. This is the widest I can possibly go due to lack of chainstay clearance. I have tried Vittoria Pave 27c clinchers on DT 411 rims in the past and got some chainstay rubbing. No doubt tubulars, even in a 25c width would probably improve my ride.
On some of my rides my CIII is truly sublime as set up. I'll probably keep and ride this bike forever. But living in a rural county in agricultural central CA means that a good majority of my riding is on chip seal and a good deal of that is cracked or chunked up.
A very real possibility is that I'm justifying my want for something else that's a bit new and different.
So, onward I march!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Just being a bit of a devil’s advocate or contrarian here.

You’d be surprised by the ride difference you’d experience using 27 or 28 mm tubular tires, running lower pressures, on box section alloy rims… less chance of a pinch flat on a pothole or rock as well. Something like Vittoria Paves on Ambrosio Nemesis or Magic Reflex rims, for example.

If you are using tape to mount tubulars it’s not that intimidating.

That CIII is a lovely riding bike. I owned one several years ago but eventually sold it as it was too small and wasn’t getting miles. I’d think 27’s would fit.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:29 PM

Bumping this up. Anyone have or know of something that might fit the bill?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2021, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Have a hard look at these Henry

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...arch=pescadero