Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 05:42 PM

Turn by Turn on Wahoo Elemnt

I created a route in Ride With GPS and it generated a cuesheet as I expected. But today riding a test route all I got was the route and the "breadcrumbs" where the moving arrow gradually moves along the map - no spelled out cues or LEDs alerting turns. What do i need to do to change this? I don't have the iPad on when I'm riding, is this how the cues appear?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2020, 07:31 PM

I would check DCrainmaker for instructions on loading the unit. Or look on YouTube. I know there are multiple different files I can load on my garmin and one only does breadcrumb style. The other one gives all kinds of cues. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2020, 07:33 PM

What format did you export the route in? ie gpx, fit etc
Old 07-04-2020, 04:52 AM

Not sure, as the Elemnt syncs to RWGPS and the routes download to the device automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
What format did you export the route in? ie gpx, fit etc
Old 07-04-2020, 06:20 AM

Turn by Turn on Wahoo Elemnt

This route is on named roads? If yes, then a turn by turn should work with Routes built in RideWithGPS that you sync to the unit... Turn by turn can be less reliable with private lanes and other backways.

You don't need an ipad on/paired for navigation prompts while riding.

Check that the companion app for the Wahoo has 'Turn by turn directions' switched on for Top LEDs and for Sounds in the LEDs & Sound app submenu.

Check that your local maps are selected and updated in the Manage Maps section of the companion app.

Also check that there aren't any firmware updates prompted for your Element when it pairs with the companion app. iirc, the original firmware on the Element had some issues with turn-by-turn prompts.

Do all of this^ while the Element is paired with your iphone/ipad companion app.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 07-04-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:12 AM

Thanks all for the pointers. For some reason on Saturday the TBT navigation worked almost all the time. A couple of times the LEDs that indicate an upcoming turn direction and the "breadcrumbs" showing the route conflicted and I learned that I should follow the breadcrumbs. I think I have a better idea of how to place cues when I make a route again, too. It was a pretty nifty experience to have it work on a 70 mile route with a lot of small roads and turns.

Is there a way to have the Elemnt also alert with a sound before a turn?