Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2019, 05:52 AM
Strong Walker

OT: TV mount to a wooden pillar

I moved to a new appartment which is "loft-style" in a sense that it doesn't have a suitable piece of flat wall to mount a tv on (currently, i use an 42" one). It does, however, have a free-standing chimney in the center and a wooden pillar supporting the roof near it. This is where i want the tv to be placed. I also want it to be able to swivel so i can watch both from the balcony, and the living room area, which is 90° to one side.

The TV, being a plasma set, is quite heavy (~28kg/90lbs) - that would require rather big wood screws. I can't drill the chimney, either - fire prevention regulations.

Anyone has a bright idea how i could mount that tv on its swivel mount (=added leverage, more load) to that wooden pillar (~15-20 inches square) without making swiss cheese of it - i want to stay on the landlords good side...

so far i came up with an idea to use two beefy wooden planks connected by threaded rods and fabricate some sort of a makeshift clamp around the pillar... but i'm eager to hear other ideas!

Last edited by martl; 08-20-2019 at 05:59 AM.