Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
On a related note. The plastic "bumper" part of my Chorus 12 fr der outer cage broke off somehow the other day. Only 160 miles on the new group.. grrr!!!
Had this happen with a Chorus 10s FD: the Easton EA90 cranks had a pretty narrow q, and the FD's outer limits weren't set properly, so the crank just grazed the FD and scratched the bumper.

The replacement part is FD-RE216, but seems to be sold out:

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/product...nsert-fd-re216

https://www.modernbike.com/campagnol...railleur-cages
Old 08-05-2022, 04:52 PM

Has anyone mixed and matched parts between record 12 and chorus 12, say record shifters with chorus derailleur’s?
Old 08-05-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace70 View Post
Has anyone mixed and matched parts between record 12 and chorus 12, say record shifters with chorus derailleur’s?
Yes. Record shifters with remaining Chorus (aesthetics). Why would it not work perfectly?
Old 08-05-2022, 06:22 PM

Just asking the question, to see if anyone has had any issues. I saw that the 48/32 will only go on the chorus crankset, and initially you couldn’t use the 11-34 cassette on record gruppo, but now you can. Just wondering if there was any other limitations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by everbeek View Post
Yes. Record shifters with remaining Chorus (aesthetics). Why would it not work perfectly?
Old 08-06-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Had this happen with a Chorus 10s FD: the Easton EA90 cranks had a pretty narrow q, and the FD's outer limits weren't set properly, so the crank just grazed the FD and scratched the bumper.

The replacement part is FD-RE216, but seems to be sold out:

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/product...nsert-fd-re216

https://www.modernbike.com/campagnol...railleur-cages
holy smokes! I had no idea that teeny piece was replaceable... I wish i knew that before i broke out the super glue! Thanks for posting!!
Old 08-06-2022, 01:12 PM

Why not Ekar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Resurrecting this old thread because I've put off purchasing decisions over the holidays...

Current 12 speed owners, have you noticed the drivetrain being more noisy or requires more adjustment than say 11? I've read some reports on Weight Weenies of folks complaining of drivetrain noise and someone surmised that this may be due to chainstay length.

If it matters, this drivetrain is meant for a c̶y̶c̶l̶o̶c̶r̶o̶s̶s̶ "all road" bike that's going to see 50/50 road/dirt. Chainstays are ~410mm.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2022, 07:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
holy smokes! I had no idea that teeny piece was replaceable... I wish i knew that before i broke out the super glue! Thanks for posting!!
That little gizmo came from the 'Perma-Link' days when Campag didn't like the idea of the metal cage rubbing on the Perma-Link pins...perhaps keeping the chain from breaking there. They remained to to make the shift a little more quiet and not rub on carbon ..but even w/o it, on metal cages, the front der still works OK.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4life View Post
Why not Ekar?
This bike has rim brakes.

I don't remember if I followed up, but I ended up sourcing some Potenza drivetrain components for a decent price from ProBikeKit and just went with it. I think now in 2022, one's only choices are Centaur 11, or Chorus 12.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:38 AM

I have 2 bikes, one with Record/CHorus 11 Gen2 and one with 12 speed. (All chorus except for the Record shifters I got cheaply). My prior best bike was DA7900. The reason 12 speed CH is cheaper is because its the new Potenza - a still good but lower-market producd. I think Campagnolo saw too many people not buying the Record since the 10 & 11 spd CH was so close to RE functionality and style/look.
There are some gripes I've had - a broken front downshift paddle on the R11 (was replaced under warranty - thank you Cecil Walker Cycles in Melbourne). Unlike Shimano these are just plastic on Campag. The rear downshifting is definitely slower to pick up the chain on some shifts - the cranks turn "free" for about half a rev before I feel the pickup - I definitely think the Shimano ramping is more effective.
I really like the new ergos on 12 but in terms of functionality I have gained nothing since there are only 11T starting cassettes and the extra gear is just being unused. I'd say go for the CH12 and you will be happy but its not enough reason to switch of you already have the 11.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:07 PM

I’ve been pondering a Campy swap for my older Cervelo.

11 speed parts availability in 2022 is terrible. If I do find a complete group, and then I break something, I’m SOL.

Chorus 12 is very tempting even though it’s probably too nice for my frame.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:59 AM

I’ve been running Campy 11s for years, and now considering Chorus 12 for one bike. I have enough wheels with both Campy and Shimano freehubs that I’ll just put Campy 12s cassettes on two wheelsets and keep the others 11s.

Has anyone tried using an 11s front derailleur with a 12s shifter? I have Chorus 11s front mechs in both 2011-14 and 2015+ if either or both have been tried.

Also, which 12s chains work well in a Campy 12s geartrain? Chorus 12s is an obvious choice, but I think I also saw SRAM recommended. What about KMC and YBN 12s chains?
Old 01-27-2023, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H13N View Post
I’ve been pondering a Campy swap for my older Cervelo.

11 speed parts availability in 2022 is terrible. If I do find a complete group, and then I break something, I’m SOL.

Chorus 12 is very tempting even though it’s probably too nice for my frame.
Shimano 12 speed cassettes are compatible (not technically but you know what I mean!) with Campag 12 speed and a 12 speed chain from any of the standard people should work fine. I believe as long as you don't have a 10T cog, you can use a 12 speed Shimano cassette on a regular (non micro spline) Shimano free hub body.

Just makes it easier to upgrade and get parts if something happens.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf View Post
I’ve been running Campy 11s for years, and now considering Chorus 12 for one bike. I have enough wheels with both Campy and Shimano freehubs that I’ll just put Campy 12s cassettes on two wheelsets and keep the others 11s.

Has anyone tried using an 11s front derailleur with a 12s shifter? I have Chorus 11s front mechs in both 2011-14 and 2015+ if either or both have been tried.

Also, which 12s chains work well in a Campy 12s geartrain? Chorus 12s is an obvious choice, but I think I also saw SRAM recommended. What about KMC and YBN 12s chains?
Campaign 12s LH shifter much different than 11s in that there are only 3 clicks. Much more positional than the 11s variety BUT, looking at the diagrams, both 11s and 12s long arm type(11s 2015+) so I'm 'guessing' a 2015+ 11s front der will work with 12s LH shifter.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Campaign 12s LH shifter much different than 11s in that there are only 3 clicks. Much more positional than the 11s variety BUT, looking at the diagrams, both 11s and 12s long arm type(11s 2015+) so I'm 'guessing' a 2015+ 11s front der will work with 12s LH shifter.
Thanks OP! I will try the 2015+ front and share how it works. It will probably be a few weeks due to a couple of other projects in progress.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:44 AM
#RYFB

Long term reviews of Chorus 12 speed versus 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf View Post
To date I’ve only used Campy chains (both C & SR, more than 15k miles on the groupset) but, based on rave reviews from @Dave and others, I’ve got a SRAM one that will go on when the current one wears out.

Tags
campagnolo, chorus, chorus 12