Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2021, 02:09 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
I...
If it's not safe here, it's not safe anywhere - which, as often as this happens, is obvious
I dunno....long straight road, wide shoulders, high, but not excessive speed limit (though guessing most people are pushing 50-60mph in light traffic)...."yeah, I can do this...just going to check my phone to see what that beep was a few seconds ago...what could go wrong."

I would not choose to ride there if I had a choice of other routes......
Old 07-24-2021, 06:33 AM

There have been two cycling fatalities in San Diego this week. One of the drivers was on meth. That makes 4 cycling fatalities (that i am aware of) in the last couple months.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:24 AM

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Someone in charge of that church group may have made a bad decision about being on the road at 4 am.
I am not blaming anyone, but let’s be honest, it’s a little hard to “see” cyclist under some “daylight” conditions… lights, or lack of, clothing all of it contributes to the risk. 4am… I’d be a little worried about who is driving… tired, barely awake.

Been a rash of “accidents” and deaths over the last few days, seems like the authorities would step up enforcement of the few laws that are designed to protect cyclist… brings to mind a confrontation I had with a policeman a couple of years back because I was riding in the road because of trash in the bike path.

Clearly, when we jump on the bike there is a risk out there, we have to own some of our own safety… but really unfortunate.

This is likely to have a long term impact on the young driver.

I wish his family peace in their time of grief

Ray
Old 07-24-2021, 07:33 AM

I remember well back in the 80s on a bike tour (wife and I lived in Lancaster MA) so we did Lancaster PA to Lancaster MA. Got PA bike routes maps, we ended up on road like this towards the Pocono's...not fun. Wonder what kind, and if everyone had rear lighting.

I won't go out without my Varia anymore
Old 07-24-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Clearly, when we jump on the bike there is a risk out there, we have to own some of our own safety… but really unfortunate.

This is likely to have a long term impact on the young driver.

I wish his family peace in their time of grief

Ray
I find this odd. If they were on the road legally, riding legally, you don't consider that "owning" their safety? Does the driver not have to "own" obeying the rules, too?
Do you wish peace to the person who murdered someone? Do you worry about the impact killing someone may have on their life? Because that is what happened here. Not an accident. This was a disregard of rules and negligence.
I'll admit it. I don't really care if it scars the young driver. They clearly should never again be a driver. They may have to live with the memory of this, but they get to live. His victims? Not so much.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt92037 View Post
There have been two cycling fatalities in San Diego this week. One of the drivers was on meth. That makes 4 cycling fatalities (that i am aware of) in the last couple months.
One more two days ago in NYS
https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/ulst...county/813146/
Old 07-24-2021, 08:23 AM

Not my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I find this odd. If they were on the road legally, riding legally, you don't consider that "owning" their safety? Does the driver not have to "own" obeying the rules, too?
Do you wish peace to the person who murdered someone? Do you worry about the impact killing someone may have on their life? Because that is what happened here. Not an accident. This was a disregard of rules and negligence.
I'll admit it. I don't really care if it scars the young driver. They clearly should never again be a driver. They may have to live with the memory of this, but they get to live. His victims? Not so much.
Owning your safety to me means that you understand the risks and take appropriate measures to stay safe. Given that these were likely not the most “experienced” riders, I would have added a vehicle to trail behind, with flashers to make it visible. Particularly given the hour they were on the road. They could have delayed their departure until sunlight, again making themselves more visible. Owning your safety is not just following the rules….

Truly, I get your point, but when something “happens” that is unexpected, I believe it’s important to ask yourself… what more could I have done….
Old 07-24-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
... Particularly given the hour they were on the road. They could have delayed their departure until sunlight, again making themselves more visible. Owning your safety is not just following the rules...
I didn't notice that detail in the report until you mentioned it.

We don't know ALL the details of the crash, so it's quite possible they didn't have proper taillights or any at all. Of course, assuming the cyclists were traveling to the right of the rumble strip in the photo previously posted, it's inexplicable how the driver would move so far over into the shoulder to hit the cyclists. Hopefully we will be informed as the investigation continues.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:26 AM
Randomhead

I have never seen an Amish rider in the roadway, they are always on the shoulder. I have seen them with inadequate reflective/lighting gear, but that is a lot less likely nowadays. I wonder if the driver aimed for the lights.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:01 PM

Holy ****...not only did this happen the day I have a pretty nasty wreck (post to come...) But it happened 15 minutes from where I was born and raised. What a shame, but I personally would never ever consider riding on 22. Ever.