Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2021, 12:15 PM

Rudy Project from the local optometrist and a pair of POC Do Low from SportRX back when they still carried them and made lenses for them
Old 07-21-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post
Has anyone here gotten lenses from a local optical store that sends out the order to Rudy Project? I believe that gives you Rudy’s full choice of lens tints, polarization, and photochromic capabilities.

Related, Rudy sells simple-Rx lenses directly. Has anyone tried that avenue?
Yes. I use a local optometrist that sells Rudy’s. I use the Rydon with progressive lenses. I use a photochromatic lens that I can wear at dusk, at night with lights, and in the sun.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:17 PM

I just went through a fairly long ordeal getting a pair of progressive scripted glasses.
I went with SportRX mainly due to their selection, access to CS and return policy

I started with Oakley. The first lenses the pupil center was too low and had
them redone with a better center positioning. Unfortunately, they were still a bit too blurry at the top and outside edges of the lenses to get used to. I was told by CS that my RX it wasnt playing well with the base curve (8 something)

They recommended that I look for frames that have a base curve of 6.
I decided to give the RP Rydon's a go. I thought the RX dock was brilliant and even though I would prefer the Oakley Prizm lens I went for the SprortRX closest option which are okay.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be another fail. The script was good but the fit of the frames wasnt right at all. Lots of air funneling up from beneath the lenses.

So those went back and I got a pair of 100% Blake. It would be nice if they were racier looking (Wayfairer style) but they get the job done and the rubber nose pad and keep the from slipping around.

the point of this long ramble i guess is if you have a tricky prescription or are not sure of the fit or lens go with SportRX. Although i's taken close to 8 months to get my this all dialed it - the process was all on their dime.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:43 PM

Sports Optical out of Denver did a nice job on Oakley Flak 2.0 XL. I require significant prisms resulting in what I refer to as my orthopedic lenses. Nice job, with negligible distortion. Previously had a pair of Rudy’s with lens insert. Worked ok but when they fogged it took forever to clear.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:50 PM

My eyes are very sensitive to wind (especially cold wind), so I prefer a wrap-around eyewear style. Unfortunately I have a relatively high RX (about -6.50), which is beyond what most sports eyewear makers will make for their wrap-around sports eyewear (including Oakley and Rudy Project). There are a few styles of Bolles that the will they fit in-lens in my prescription. I tried a couple of these, and found that while vision straight ahead was okay, there was too much distortion when looking to the side.

So, I've been using wrap around eyewear that have a prescription insert that sits behind the main lenses. The prescription insert is flatter than the main wrap-around lenses, and so is better suited to my high prescription. But the insert still has a bit of an angle between the lenses, so it is still necessary to do some "correction" to compensate. I've tried having lenses made by local opticians, but most opticians don't seem to understand how to do wrap angle and vertex angle compensation. So, I've had the lenses made by sports specialty opticians like SportRX or SportEyes.

The models of eyewear I'm currently using are Bolle Parole and Bolle Vigilante, both with prescription inserts installed. These are both now discontinued, so I'm not sure what I'll do when I need new glasses.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:45 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Bifocal Rudy Project from SportRX. Work great. Two pair. One normal dark lenses, and a transition pair for when I know I'll be going in places.
Came in to post ^^^this. Literally, all of that is exactly the same for me!

Old 07-21-2021, 03:25 PM

Maui Jim.
Currently seeing how well they stand behind the one year warranty.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:18 PM

Assos Zhego G2s

https://www.performancebike.com/asso...hcsrh4auaxtqhe

Last edited by s4life; 07-21-2021 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:03 PM

Rudy Rydon II (for narrow faces)...

bought the frames on ebay for $100, took them to my optometrist who sent them to a lab in Phoenix AZ.

got polarized progressive bifocal lenses with smoked gray tint.

they've been great for at least 10 years, soooo much better than riding with my regular glasses with clip-on shades.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:42 PM

Oakleys for me, with the rose golf tint. I use them primarily for mountain biking but also on the road. The tint is great in low light conditions, which is important for trail riding in dense forest or at dusk. Only thing I'm still getting used to after nearly 3 years is the sensation of being a couple of feet higher in the air when riding. The lens distortion causes this and my optometrist said there wasn't really any way around this with a wraparound frame like I have. It's not horrible, but it does sometimes hinder my confidence when coming up to a steep rock roll or a decent size drop.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:53 AM

A lot of great intel here, thanks gang!!
Sport RX looks like the way to go.
I just need to decide on a frame that will handle my scrip.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:10 AM

Oakley Flak 2.0 XL from Sports Optical WITH PROGRESSIVE LENSES

Pros
I can see my computer and anything in the distance clearer than ever.
Not having to peel contacts off eyes after a ride.
Sports Optical was easy to work with, pleasant, professional.

Cons
Price.
The Oakley frame looks a little dated in the age of goggle-sized sunglasses. (Can't do big one-piece lenses with progressives.)
Old 07-22-2021, 11:00 AM

I just use these guys:

Easy to apply, and just enough for me to read my texts. My distance is good enough that I don't need full Rx to ride, but damn I can't read anything without some magnification.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:11 AM

I've had a pair of Sports Optical Rudy Project Rydons since 2016.

I am overdue to get new lenses/new Rx in them but for the most part they are fine outdoors. My eye doctor has pushed for new prescriptions a couple times in the last 5 years and I got new regular glasses but keep procrastinating ordering new cycling lenses. For the most part I think it was diminishing returns and the doctor was just trying to sell me new glasses, my current regular Rx gave me more trouble than the older ones....

In any case I had a couple pairs of Rx Oakleys in the past two, the Rudy's are much better glasses IMO. They are far more biased towards function versus style. They're really easy to repair, parts are easier to figure out, more adjustable, more comfortable, the lenses and frames have been MUCH more resilient, etc.. The Rudy frames stay on your face better in a crash, etc.. and stay put better. Even to the point I capsized sailing and they didn't even come off getting thrown into the water hard, and I had forgotten to put on a retention strap.

They have really been fantastic glasses.

Last edited by benb; 07-22-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:32 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Just out of curiosity, for folks using sportRX for lenses on Oakley FlakJacket 2.0 XL with a moderate RX (under -3) with progressive frames, can you ballpark you price. Is it over or under $500? How about $1,000? My last single vision Oakleys seemed shockingly expensive (over $600 if I recall) and I wonder if that has come down at all, and how much progressive lenses add. And those Hydrotac reading inserts look interesting too.