Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2021, 08:08 AM

I have my SL6 Sworks coming in this Thursday. I had to see what all the hype is about these bikes. I have heard nothing but praises and how well they are at everything! Wish I could have scored a rim brake version but the disc will do for now..

Old 07-21-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
I have my SL6 Sworks coming in this Thursday. I had to see what all the hype is about these bikes. I have heard nothing but praises and how well they are at everything! Wish I could have scored a rim brake version but the disc will do for now..

Nice!! I'm trying to find one of these, or a madone, in my size. Near impossible these days.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:13 AM

How are all these bikes standing up on their own?
Old 07-21-2021, 08:21 AM

Sorry, the pics are literally from the first ride of both bikes. To clarify a few things:

1. Saddle height, reach, and all fit is set up the same now. Geometry is also the same from my understanding.
2. Pedals are shimano on both and power 143 saddles on both
3. The gearing is an 11/30 ultegra and 11/28 dura ace so didn’t feel like that was major

Will swap out wheels and update this weekend. Just wanted to throw it out there as a non-scientific, amateur comparison.

Very much agree that the s-works will always carry a mental edge to it, but I will say the average speeds of a route I ride weekly have increased and stayed consistent.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
These look incredible, imo
Old 07-21-2021, 08:37 AM

that's a great review, but what everybody REALLY wants to know is how does the s-works compare to the Look 585 ?
Old 07-21-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
This is a tough one because you knew which bike you were ridding. Not saying the s works is not better but unless there was a blind test by multiple people I think its inconclusive.
I've had s-works and non s-works in the same bike before, and there really is something nice about the s-works frames. They feel livelier and ride nicer where the 10r frames feel a touch dull in comparison although certainly not bad bicycles.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Interested in your impressions given all the fine Italian steeds you’ve had in the stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryschwartzma View Post
Stick placement in the crank bolt in non drive side.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryschwartzma View Post
magnets
Old 07-21-2021, 09:19 AM

1.5 lb has been a HUGE difference in weight in my experience. My 14 lb bike "feels" so much snappier and agile than my 15.5 lb bike.
Waiting for you to swap the wheels and let us know!
Old 07-21-2021, 12:26 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
I've had s-works and non s-works in the same bike before, and there really is something nice about the s-works frames. They feel livelier and ride nicer where the 10r frames feel a touch dull in comparison although certainly not bad bicycles.
This is what I've been wondering about. I get that the two versions may not have a difference in speed. And, personally, wouldn't care about. However, ride quality is a different thing. This is what I care about.

With the variables equalized (same wheels/tires (same pressure)(easy with a wheel swap), same saddle, same fit), I'd hope the sworks "feels" better.

If it were completely non-covid, non-supply chain issues, I'd go down to the LBS and grab an Sworks and lower level to try back to back (with wheel/saddle swap) in both the Tarmac and Aethos. Seems like a lovely way to spend the day.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:35 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I've read the position that higher pressures feels faster. I guess more bouncing around could be confused for snappier.

Lively, fewer calories and less filling both.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:

When do you get it ?

Old 07-21-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Yeah, I would agree with this so far. Livelier is a good description