Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2021, 06:21 PM

Unfortunately he didn't make it. Just very sad.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:32 PM

So sad. Prayers to his family.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:50 PM

Greg Knapp passed.

Quote:
Knapp was struck by a motorist while riding his bike near his home in Danville, Calif., on Saturday. According to the San Ramon Police Department, Knapp sustained “major injuries” in the accident, which occurred shortly before 3 p.m. Police do not believe drugs or alcohol were a factor, and the driver was cooperating with the authorities.

Knapp leaves behind his wife, Charlotte, and three daughters — Jordan, Natalie and Camille.
https://nypost.com/2021/07/22/jets-a...bike-accident/
Old 07-22-2021, 08:12 PM

Please change the thread title, it was not "bike crash" for f's sake!
Old 07-22-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
Whenever our local news channel reports an auto taking out a pedestrian or bike, they always like to lead the report with "there was a car vs. pedestrian/bicycle accident" ... It always pisses me off and seems so disrespectful of the victim. The "vs." makes it seem like a game or event, gee who won?
It is terrible language. When I was hit head-on by a cement truck that crossed the center line all the trauma reports said "cement truck vs. bicyclist" so maybe the news outlet is getting that language from medical reports.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:00 PM

Go get a gravel/dirt/mtb etc and stop baiting cars. It's a culture that will not change. Moaning about it gets nowhere and it never will. $$$$

Sucks for the family and dude was a first class coach
Old 07-22-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Go get a gravel/dirt/mtb etc and stop baiting cars. It's a culture that will not change. Moaning about it gets nowhere and it never will. $$$$

Gravel/dirt/mtb. requires more skill, maybe more than some have.
Baiting cars ? WTH
Old 07-22-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
Please change the thread title, it was not "bike crash" for f's sake!
Will changing the title bring him back to life?
Old 07-22-2021, 09:20 PM

If you put yourself in a situation where a car can run you over... it's car baiting. Highly unfortunate situation as it's an "accident"

As far as skill? Can't help you there, but keep inherent risk in mind. There's always zwift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
Gravel/dirt/mtb. requires more skill, maybe more than some have.
Baiting cars ? WTH
Old 07-22-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:

I don't know where you live, but around here where that accident was, your off-road options are almost exclusively fire roads on exposed mountain side, with very steep grades. There are no dirt roads that aren't private property.

If you want to ride dirt only, you need to either be insanely strong, get an e-bike, only ride very early in the morning in the summertime before it gets up to 100°, or be content to ride the same flat half mile stretch of trail over and over and over again.

Morning about making roads safer is always worth it. There isn't just some paradise of dirt that people are choosing not to go on because they like getting buzzed by cars. That stretch of road where he was hit has a very wide bike lane, and every person should feel safe and comfortably using it without having to worry that some driver veers out of his lane.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
If you put yourself in a situation where a car can run you over... it's car baiting. Highly unfortunate situation as it's an "accident"

As far as skill? Can't help you there, but keep inherent risk in mind. There's always zwift
Skill, not talking about myself. Know plenty of people not comfortable in dirt.

I'm lucky I can hit dirt in less then 2mi from my doorstep, but I still have to bait cars to get there.

You can stop your trolling now. Wonder how big rig drivers feel about passenger cars baiting them on the freeways.

Last edited by Spdntrxi; 07-22-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:40 PM

Choose wisely where you live. If you want to ride and be safe, you'll have to figure out what works. Don't expect it to come to you

For me, my nightmare is to be a speed bump for some Karen late for a yoga class

Roads are alot different than they were 30 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I don't know where you live, but around here where that accident was, your off-road options are almost exclusively fire roads on exposed mountain side, with very steep grades. There are no dirt roads that aren't private property.

If you want to ride dirt only, you need to either be insanely strong, get an e-bike, only ride very early in the morning in the summertime before it gets up to 100°, or be content to ride the same flat half mile stretch of trail over and over and over again.

Morning about making roads safer is always worth it. There isn't just some paradise of dirt that people are choosing not to go on because they like getting buzzed by cars. That stretch of road where he was hit has a very wide bike lane, and every person should feel safe and comfortably using it without having to worry that some driver veers out of his lane.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:48 PM

I feel that you're being kind of oblivious and that I'm providing a reality check. To accuse me of being a troll? Well, you do you

Be safe

Car culture is a thing we can't change and the are lots of great alternatives for riding. Life is short, plan accordingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
Skill, not talking about myself. Know plenty of people not comfortable in dirt.

I'm lucky I can hit dirt in less then 2mi from my doorstep, but I still have to bait cars to get there.

You can stop your trolling now. Wonder how big rig drivers feel about passenger cars baiting them on the freeways.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:05 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
I feel that you're being kind of oblivious and that I'm providing a reality check. To accuse me of being a troll? Well, you do you

Be safe

Car culture is a thing we can't change and the are lots of great alternatives for riding. Life is short, plan accordingly
I will go ahead and disagree with you on that. We can change it, it will not be easy at all but it can happen. We have seen many big changes in society that people thought could never happen.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Car baiting ??? What the heck ??? This is way over the line, not everyone has access to dirt/gravel. I can get to mtn/ dirt biking but it's a good 30 minute drive.

I'm giving you a two week time out.