Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2021, 04:19 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Her coffee comes via Keurig...not that there is anything wrong with that...there is, but I'm not going there.
Fine, I'll go there. Putting something that is fantastic compost into a container that won't degrade for decades is the height of stupidity. Right up there with putting feces into a plastic bag.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:19 PM

uh oh just wait till you go down the coffee grinder rabbithole..
Old 07-23-2021, 04:48 PM

as a once chemist...I haven't been in a wet lab in ages...I can tell you that temperature plays a huge factor in component extraction. 190 is way different than 210 for a given coffee at a given grind. It's a multi-dimensional optimazation between coffee:grind:temp (and maybe a few other variables depending...)

However, the weighting factor of each variable differs for each given method.

...and therein lies the fun! Enjoy!
Old 07-23-2021, 04:48 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Fine, I'll go there. Putting something that is fantastic compost into a container that won't degrade for decades is the height of stupidity. Right up there with putting feces into a plastic bag.
+1

good thing they make biodegradable ones!
Old 07-23-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
...or just avoid the rabbit hole and go Kafatek Monolith Flat Max!. and no I don't own one... but truth be told I am contemplating upgrading the Niche to a Lagom. ;-)
Old 07-23-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
I'd be interested in your process with the Aeropress. It's definitely my favorite method when traveling or for making a quick cup of iced coffee
Hiya...Nothing out of the ordinary & similar to pour over...

I use the inverted method with the aeropress because I don't want it running while pouring/blooming initially...

So I start inverted...I add 19.3-20gr of coffee
(which btw is a heaping of the aeropress supplied scoop)

Water is just off boil so approx 180-200 degrees

Then I add enough water to just wet all the grounds...
Let sit/bloom approx 20-30 seconds
Slowly add water till full & add metal filter & screw on strainer cap
EDIT: Forgot I also give it a stir at this point before replacing cap

Invert onto mug & remove plunger...That will cause water to drop 1-2 inches
Refill & replace plunger
Then plunge slowly as usual

That will give you a nice 280-300gr of coffee in your mug

Of course if you like you can also skip the remove plunger & adding that bit of water which will result in roughly 8.5oz instead of 10oz coffee

Last edited by flying; 07-24-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:40 PM

Second plug for James Hoffman -- the Aeropress content you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aidv...i9DH8NUKAz4nvl

He's so good. Great video on electric gooseneck kettles recently too. I've had the Bonavita variable temp kettle for 5 years and am very happy with it. Typically keep my brew temp at 205* for better extraction of the lighter roasts I prefer. God, can't wait till morning for a cup of coffee...
Old 07-23-2021, 10:11 PM

I also remembered years ago I used Matt Perger example for pour over & it was also quite good
Old 07-24-2021, 03:57 AM
Grey Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
So...last fall I switched from french press to pour over. Interestingly, I went from two cups a day to one...just didn't want another cup after the first.

This week I added a pour over kettle into the mix. I had been using a regular kettle, waiting for it to boil, and then adding the water to the funnel. I *was* starting with a small amount of water and then adding the rest for the full cup.

With the pour over kettle, I'm now adding the water at a lower temperature and have much more control over the amount poured. My coffee is smoother as a result, and I may be back to two cups a day...

Here's a version of the Soulhand kettle I bought. Pretty straightforward, has a temp gauge on the top. Now I'm just heating enough water for coffee, and heating my oatmeal water in a pot, from cold, with oatmeal already in. (Steel cut, of course). Oatmeal may also be coming out smoother...
That pot is fantastic! My dad, at the time a certified industrial chemist, bought a 2 cup Chemex way back in the 1950's, and I took it when he passed away. He was a freak for chemical glassware! Of course the Chemex design is an Erlenmeyer flask with a vented funnel formed on the top, where the vent doubles as a pouring spout. Meanwhile I had bought a 10 cup Chemex for my new apartment. I used a Pyrex measuring cup to get a slow initial pour, strengthening my right arm in the process. At some point I saw Chemex had a glass pourer with a narrow bottom spout, but it was rare as hens' teeth and way more than the coffee making flasks. We hadn't figured on temperature control and variation, but ... I think he just didn't have a good way to measure it and control it.

No conflicts with wife's coffee wants, since she is decaf only, and has a separate machine and grinder for hers.

But this one looks like it might fill the bill!

Now I use an Oxo regularly, and occasionally the Chemex.

I still ride tubulars from time to time and I quit smoking a large number of years ago, so I find a good cup of dark city roast is a good substitute for lighting a Gauloise when fixin' to repair a sew-up! Lol!

Last edited by Road Fan; 07-24-2021 at 04:11 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I'm a composting fool...everything that *can* go into the compost heap does go into the compost heap. Then we use that black gold when we plant flowers in my wife's ever-expanding garden.

After a particularly yummy load, I do get a hand written note every now and then from the Stinky the skunk or one of the raccoons. Stinky didn't like the trail cam I had by the compost heap for a while and headbutted it...it was very cute.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-24-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Been there...

My Capresso burr grinder shares counter space with the compost bucket.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-24-2021, 12:48 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
+1

good thing they make biodegradable ones[/URL]!
We buy compostable keurig cups. They only degrade in commercial compost setups at high temperatures, not in the typical home pile. Fortunately I convinced my daughter that the amount of coffee she was drinking was still ruining the planet and she went to ground coffee in a reusable keurig cup. I never liked the coffee made that way, but she likes it so far.

I'm curious about a specialized teapot for Aeropress use.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:29 PM
Shifty Member

Don't mean to hijack, but I assume that most of you were french pressers before pour over. What temp did you use for french press? I have been using 180 degrees, but have been wondering if I need to vary it for different blends.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
Don't mean to hijack, but I assume that most of you were french pressers before pour over. What temp did you use for french press? I have been using 180 degrees, but have been wondering if I need to vary it for different blends.
It's just like nominal clincher tire widths and different rims...you really need to try it. Keep good notes and report back.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-24-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Ballpark: 185 for lighter, 195 for darker. But as C40 noted. Take notes....vary only the temp. note the bean origins. A light roasted ethiopian is not the same as a light roast comprised of central and south american.

It helps later when trying different roasters if that's your thing. For whatever reason I have to avoid indonesians. They turn my stomach, but I'm good with anything from africa or the americas. weird.