Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Peugeot 205 GTI
MB 240TD
Man how I lusted after a 205 GTI when I lived in Germany, what a machine!
Old 07-23-2021, 02:32 PM

Those Lancia's, WOW!

At risk of being called a troll again, if you love Lancia check out this video on how they dealt with the threat presented by the new AWD Audi's.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...W5tAah6Z-ADA19
Old 07-23-2021, 02:36 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Matra Simca Rancho, obviously.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Man how I lusted after a 205 GTI when I lived in Germany, what a machine!
Yep, almost made what would have been one of the dumbest decisions of my life.
Was ready to pull the trigger on a new one while in college, which would have been way more than I could have afforded.
And yes, total blast to drive.
First real (serious) competitor to the Golf GTI.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:20 PM

OT: Interesting Pre 2006 car to import

If I were to buy an older “interesting” car to import from Europe, I’d probably go for a 5 series manual wagon and eventually live to regret it. Like this:

I found this offer on AutoScout24.

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/b...campaign=share

Final price: € 45,900.-
Mileage: 104,544 km
First registration: 01/1993
Old 07-23-2021, 07:45 PM

BMW 1 series hatchback. I'd love to have one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16971134630_e7c65a9639_b.jpg (130.7 KB, 230 views)
Old 07-23-2021, 08:29 PM

The Nissan Stagea with the GTR front clip is very nice, but I'm a Subaru Legacy wagon fan (I have a 1996 and 2003).

I'd be happy with a 1996-1998 Legacy GT-B, #6 on this list:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/w834mxz/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95506b553ba1150ad12480fdf1bd338a.jpg (57.5 KB, 225 views)
Old 08-19-2021, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
What type of car are u looking for?

The 90s maserati ghibli were never sold in the us i think but they are more like 25-30 years old now. Its not really a sportscar bit more of a fast gt, well fast for the 90s that is. Still 300hp in a relatively light car. Some turbolag. Seats will stop you from driving to fast as u will need to kling on to the steering wheel just to stay put as the seats are very poor at supporting your weight in spirited corners.

Suspension is def not rock hard but has 4 electronic settings and the ride is generally plush. Has 4 seatbelts (hmm maybe even 5) but will not fit 4 adults comfortably. Its an odd and unusual car. i love mine but its one of those that not all will appreciate. Some think its an old volvo or something so barely notice some cant stop looking and will come up n talk to u for good or bad depending on what u like i guess. Has a lot of little things to tinker with. Can get expensive if u get a bad (cheap) one. Can with a bit of luck go up in value over time.

I love drivinging it but u will get dissapointed if u want a sportscar most likely. On the sweaping highways we have here its one of the nicest car ive driven. Right amount of engine noise right amount of comfort with effortless overtaking. Interior is superb (well to look at) but the plastic buttons have a tendancy to fall off, all part of the maserati charm ?
Not mine in the pic
I considered a 2000 Maserati Quattroporte (Gandini-designed) that closely resembles the 90's Ghibli with 2 liter Biturbo V6 with 306 hp. Decided it couldn't be street parked.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Hey, I grew up in French cars, but this is very niche. Mégane RS is another car I've never seen in this hemisphere.

edit: would have added the Clio v6 Sport, but fails capacity requirement.
I ended up buying a Renault Avantime from Japan. One owner vehicle with less than 35,000 miles. Will arrive in Canada in about a month. Should be able to fit three distinguished gentlemen cyclists and 3 bikes with comfort that you can only get from the French. Three liter engine that won't embarrass you either. Jeremy Clarkson rated it as Sub zero (the coolest!) on the cool wall in series 1 episode 6 of Top Gear. I'll probably never see another in North America (As best as I know there are possibly two in Canada right now.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Matra Simca Rancho, obviously.

The Avantime is a close relative of the Rancho as they were both designed and built by Matra. Matra is virtually unknown to most North Americans but they built some incredible vehicles. They raced and won at the highest levels of racing, built what was likely the first SUV in Europe, then built the first minivan as we now know it in the world (before the Chrysler minivan). The design of the Avantime will not be to the liking of most people but to others, in particular car designers, it opened many new doors.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:59 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot View Post
I ended up buying a Renault Avantime from Japan.
Chapeau.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:45 AM

Classic Mini?

There are unmodded cars available from Japan including a fair number of the late model Rover editions with modern mechanicals. And many restored and/or modded versions from UK and even the States. Parts are easily available too.

Check out Restomod in Spain. They offer a classic Mini with an ecoboost 1.0L turbo engine with modern disc brakes etc.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot View Post
I considered a 2000 Maserati Quattroporte (Gandini-designed) that closely resembles the 90's Ghibli with 2 liter Biturbo V6 with 306 hp. Decided it couldn't be street parked.
No thats likely not a great idea. But i do street park mine in the summers but only use a car for 3 months of the year and likely less than 2000kms over the year.

But when i was standing in my window a couple of months ago i witnessed 3 happy girls who got in to their car at about half past midnight and then backing up and ran straight in to the car behind, dident even touch the brake. The car was mine :/ But luckily i had my phone in the hand and was quick enough to get a movie of while they drove away after not even getting out of the car to check (loud nice and abrupt halt). They are now paying for a repaint of my front bumper but what are the ods of me standing in the window with phone in hand while someone backs in to my own car...

She said she did not notice that she drove in to my car according to her daddy to whom i spoke.. He was nice tho just a pain to deal w car issues in general with a car u really care about.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 08-19-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-23-2021, 05:04 AM

So the departure of my car was delayed by over a month due to lack of available ships, then the ships was just off the coast when all the bad wind and rain storms came through that further delayed the ship from unloading. Then I had to deal with MOT inspectors that were rather misinformed about the rules that they were supposed to enforce which meant I had to wait another month to finally be able to get the car registered. I had to replace the front rotors (even though they still had 30% still left) and one inner tie rod, plus two tires, the headlights (the car is RHD so I had already procured some LHD ones before the car even landed) and then needed to fit daylight running lights (compulsory in Canada) and some additional reflectors and front blinkers. I am happy! Super smooth and quiet. There is definitely room for two bikes in the back, but I expect that I could even fit three bikes and three people. And yes it is the same car that James May drives in the newest episode of The Grand Tour - Carnage à Trois.

IMG_6338.jpg

IMG_6346.jpg

IMG_6358.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6371.jpg (71.7 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by Polyglot; 12-23-2021 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-23-2021, 05:37 AM
Descent fitness

Congrats on procuring it and springing it free from the bureaucrats!
Super cool looking.