Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2021, 10:53 AM
Administrator

OT: More elegant solution for charging multiple devices?

Ah, the digital age.

i have this unorganized next of wires on the floor of my office of usb charging cables for the various devices i routinely use. garmin computer, wahoo computer, garmin fenix, my wife's apple watch, ipads, tablets, etc.

it's a real mess. i want to find some other way of organizing what i need, but dont have any good ideas in my head.

anyone found something, either a product, something home made or otherwise that works/helps?
Old 07-23-2021, 11:06 AM

I have a 10 outlet strip in the garage on a shelf with a whole slew of different chargers connected permanently. Stuff gets charged there. Only my iPhone gets charged in the house. It isn't pretty but it is out of sight.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:24 AM
Registered (ab)User

Curious to see what responses you get in this thread. My wife just posted a similar request on Facebook, and most of the suggestions she got didn't achieve the desired goal of "elegant". Or even "clean" or "organized".
Old 07-23-2021, 12:04 PM

I have some container store / elfa wire shelving and baskets in my garage to contain my cycling detrius next to the bikes, and on that I have a 6 or 8 port USB hub zip tied to the shelf that I plug things into as needed - GPS, lights, etc.

You could also buy (off etsy - search 'charging station') or build something more elegant for inside the house, too...

Old 07-23-2021, 12:06 PM
Administrator

^^^

That's nice, and i think the short cords are the key, good idea.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:06 PM

If it is just the cables, maybe the commercially made sleeves would be enough to satisfy?

Since I have so many, I decided they needed a dedicated place with a fireproof door between charging lithium batteries and me. Thus, the shelf in the garage.

I also purchase short cables for the phone and USB charged devices, makes it easier on the bike or backpacking and then just one very light 18W charger. Many stock cables are a couple feet long and that adds to the messy look.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:32 PM

Not entirely elegant, but looks better than the pile we used to have on the counter. I got one of these from Amazon in December, and other than one of the wires going dead, it works fine.Screenshot_20210723-132912_Samsung Internet.jpg
Old 07-23-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Ah, the digital age.

i have this unorganized next of wires on the floor of my office of usb charging cables for the various devices i routinely use. garmin computer, wahoo computer, garmin fenix, my wife's apple watch, ipads, tablets, etc.

it's a real mess. i want to find some other way of organizing what i need, but dont have any good ideas in my head.

anyone found something, either a product, something home made or otherwise that works/helps?
I use Anker multi-port charger that I plug all of my devices into. I keep it in a cabinet that is behind a closed door, so I don’t have to look at all the cables attached to the thing. https://us.anker.com/collections/chargers
Old 07-23-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I use Anker multi-port charger that I plug all of my devices into. I keep it in a cabinet that is behind a closed door, so I don’t have to look at all the cables attached to the thing. https://us.anker.com/collections/chargers
I use a couple of Ankers as well...

In the kitchen, I installed an outlet with two USB ports, and leave a short Apple and mini (micro?) USB cables installed. So whenever we're in the kitchen, something gets plugged in...my phone, her iPad, my headset, etc. It's a nice option that doesn't require wall warts, and is convenient.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-23-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I use a couple of Ankers as well...

In the kitchen, I installed an outlet with two USB ports, and leave a short Apple and mini (micro?) USB cables installed. So whenever we're in the kitchen, something gets plugged in...my phone, her iPad, my headset, etc. It's a nice option that doesn't require wall warts, and is convenient.
We have some of those too. They’ve been monopolized by my wife. I prefer Qi charging pads for my iPhone and AirPods, and use the Nomad one that also has an Apple Watch charger. As to the Anker hubs, i think it worth it to spend a little extra to get one with a higher capacity (wattage) because they charge more things simultaneously and faster.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
^^^

That's nice, and i think the short cords are the key, good idea.
I have a similar unit with two wireless charging pads, five or so adjustable slots, and a watch charger. I’ve had it for a few years now. Works great.

The included short charging cables are fantastic and mine came with multiples of each type ever needed and of quality.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:29 PM

My approach has been to install about half a dozen new AC plug outlets in the house that have two built in USB chargers.

One by the front entrance where I usually have a bike sitting. I can charge both the front and back light from that.

One by the kitchen counter for whatever I need.

Two in the bedroom and another one in the living room.

Cellphone charged as I sleep since I'm always on call and keep the phone by the bed. Media player and bike computer plugged into the one in the living room after each ride.

If I had an electronic shifting bike I could just charge that too I guess from the one wall outlet I always have a bike by.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I keep it in a cabinet that is behind a closed door, so I don’t have to look at all the cables attached to the thing.
A solution I see suggested is to drill a hole in the rear of a drawer of a cabinet, desk, etc. and run the charging cord or power strip cord through the hole to the outlet. All items charging are hidden away in the drawer, similar to djg21's solution above.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:59 AM

A power strip with an assortment of different USB cables for Apple, Samsung, Garmin, etc. I used zip ties to manage the longer cords and keep them at a reasonable length. It helps keep them somewhat accessible and not having to search through the junk drawer for the one cord that is needed. It's keep it in the garage so aesthetics aren't a big concern. I limit myself to only having a cell phone charger that I will use in the house.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:03 PM

These guys have pretty elegant stuff. Not cheap, but kinda worth it if looking for simple and clean solutions.

https://nomadgoods.com/collections/p...eless-charging