Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2021, 09:55 AM

Best direct mount rim brake frames, carbon or Ti

Looking for a DM rim brake frame in carbon or Ti, stock or custom. Preferably travel friendly, but rim brake is probably as good as you can get, at least significantly better than disc in that respect.

What are the good options?
Old 07-23-2021, 10:23 AM

What are your other criteria? Custom is custom, so if you're going that route, just find a good builder you want to work with, and ask if they'll do direct mount rim brakes. The hardest thing with that is aftermarket forks with DM brakes are nonexistent, so you'll probably have to come up with one (assuming you want a carbon fork).

As for stock. A lot of options that used to be available are now disc only (e.g., Trek Emonda, Canyon Ultimate). But there's always the Colnago C64.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:53 AM

I think if you're getting off the shelf, you're best bet might be some of the European brands like Bianchi, Colnago, Ridley.
Standert also do a nice DM aluminum (scandium) frameset.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:57 AM

The Basso Diamante is a great riding frame with DM rim brakes.
For traveling though, I'd likely go with Titanium.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
As for stock. A lot of options that used to be available are now disc only (e.g., Trek Emonda, Canyon Ultimate). But there's always the Colnago C64.
The Trek Emonda is disc-only for complete bikes, but Direct Mount rim brake frames are available in several versions including the Emonda ALR (aluminum, $1200), the Emonda SLR H2 (carbon, $3630), and the Emonda SLR RSL H1 (carbon, $3630).
Old 07-23-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
What are your other criteria? Custom is custom, so if you're going that route, just find a good builder you want to work with, and ask if they'll do direct mount rim brakes. The hardest thing with that is aftermarket forks with DM brakes are nonexistent, so you'll probably have to come up with one (assuming you want a carbon fork).

Other criteria include great build quality, reasonably lightweight, and a decent climber. Don't care about being the fastest or the stiffest.

You're absolutely right about the aftermarket DM forks. So far, I've found only one by Yoeleo.

Thought about C64, but it seems the build quality is just about average despite made in Italy. Of course, you pay the premium for the Colnago brand.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Other criteria include great build quality, reasonably lightweight, and a decent climber. Don't care about being the fastest or the stiffest.

You're absolutely right about the aftermarket DM forks. So far, I've found only one by Yoeleo.

Thought about C64, but it seems the build quality is just about average despite made in Italy. Of course, you pay the premium for the Colnago brand.
The build quality is average because it's made in Italy, not in spite of it. Italy's bike manufacturing is the most overrated in the world.

Based on what you've said, I say just go with Carl Strong. Nothing but good words said about him here, and he's done at least one frame with direct mount rim brakes.

https://www.strongframes.com/out-the...ad/2018/01/15/

Now to sit back and wait for every other custom titanium builder in the to be listed as an option.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The Trek Emonda is disc-only for complete bikes, but Direct Mount rim brake frames are available in several versions including the Emonda ALR (aluminum, $1200), the Emonda SLR H2 (carbon, $3630), and the Emonda SLR RSL H1 (carbon, $3630).
If only that rim brake emonda alr had a theaded BB.

Travisty.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
If only that rim brake emonda alr had a theaded BB.

Travisty.
The next iteration will as I understand it, just like the carbon frames.

Last edited by charliedid; 07-24-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
Standert also do a nice DM aluminum (scandium) frameset.
This. I'm not sure I've ever seen Ti with direct mount, mostly because lack of aftermarket forks as others have mentioned. Cannondale Caad/Supersix are direct mount now too, along with all the other brands mentioned, but IMO Standert is making some of the coolest bikes right now. The Kreissage is the model- it's got a threaded BB too.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:45 PM

Gaulzetti Pavaix is another option - custom - but it’s there. Or the Aerotrack for that matter.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 07-23-2021 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
This. I'm not sure I've ever seen Ti with direct mount, mostly because lack of aftermarket forks as others have mentioned. Cannondale Caad/Supersix are direct mount now too, along with all the other brands mentioned, but IMO Standert is making some of the coolest bikes right now. The Kreissage is the model- it's got a threaded BB too.
I have one of these and would rate it much more highly than a CAAD, almost up there with an old SystemSix I rode. HT angle is a little bit steeper though so be warned. Just a lot of fun to ride hard. May be placebo but the DM sram brakes are solid.

Mine fits 28 easily. A 30 was a bit too close for my liking but YMMV.