Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I suspect that it's less that the price is unreasonably high, and more than if he's looking for a production steel frameset, he's hoping to keep the total build well under $6k USD.
Yes, thank you for getting me.

But I didn't realize it's a full build price, I'll go back and look again at the frameset price but I'm pretty sure it'll be too much.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Yes, thank you for getting me.

But I didn't realize it's a full build price, I'll go back and look again at the frameset price but I'm pretty sure it'll be too much.
Every thread here asking about production steel frames all follows a similar evolutionary path...

1. "for only a little bit more, you can get a made-to-order from Gunnar."
2. "for only a little bit more than that, you can get custom from Rock Lobster."
3. "for only a little bit more than that you can custom titanium from Carl Strong."
4. "for only a little bit more than that you can get custom stainless lugged from Dave Kirk."
5. "for only a little bit more than that, you can get on a 2 year waiting list for a Firefly."
6. "Richard Sachs isn't accepting orders, but if you ever get the chance to put in an order with him, you should do that instead."
7. "I don't know why anyone would need anything more modern than this 1982 Cinelli I have. Everything else is just a crutch weak riders use to cover up their own shortcomings."

Last edited by prototoast; 06-25-2021 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I suspect that it's less that the price is unreasonably high, and more than if he's looking for a production steel frameset, he's hoping to keep the total build well under $6k USD.
Totally missed that I was replying to the OP if the thread. Standing down!
Old 07-02-2021, 09:02 AM

This certainly ticks the "price" box...
Just saw this yesterday and thought of this thread. I like the approach of internal brake routing, with separate cable/wire ports that can be blocked off.

https://bikerumor.com/2021/06/28/8ba...d-bike-update/
Old 07-02-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Every thread here asking about production steel frames all follows a similar evolutionary path...

1. "for only a little bit more, you can get a made-to-order from Gunnar."
2. "for only a little bit more than that, you can get custom from Rock Lobster."
3. "for only a little bit more than that you can custom titanium from Carl Strong."
4. "for only a little bit more than that you can get custom stainless lugged from Dave Kirk."
5. "for only a little bit more than that, you can get on a 2 year waiting list for a Firefly."
6. "Richard Sachs isn't accepting orders, but if you ever get the chance to put in an order with him, you should do that instead."
7. "I don't know why anyone would need anything more modern than this 1982 Cinelli I have. Everything else is just a crutch weak riders use to cover up their own shortcomings."
Now that’s funny! If I go custom I already have my builder picked out. And he’s local. But that option is $$$
Old 07-02-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
What all is out there for modern steel rim brake road frames drilled for Di2? Probably thinking more along the lines of production rather than custom.
What about used bikes? Last year I picked up a used Ellis that is steel (mix of Columbus Life and Dedacciai zero tubing) for cheap. It is built for di2 only and rim brakes, although I suppose you could run Sram AXS on it. The bike was originally like $3k with Ultegra di2 components and eventually dropped down to $2200! I suspect that if the frame was built for disc brakes, Dave would have gotten substantially more for the bike. Here's a photo:

If you don't mind used, deals are out there!

Good Luck!
Old 07-02-2021, 05:47 PM
Proud Grandpa

Get a stout frame like a MXLeader, get yer drill and 5/32 bit out and make it Di2/EPS...Easy, I did it.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:03 PM

I know I recommended this already, kinda... But it looks like they've got a new version coming, in the form of a more "classic" steel frame, with a standard head tube. I'm not as much of a purist as some, so I preferred the more modern tapered/44mm head tube, but this will tickle some people's fancy. Looks to be really well executed...(admittedly, I'm a sucker for white bikes)

https://standert.de/collections/triebwerk-cr

Old 07-22-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Gotta say, that's a fine looking frameset. I don't know the first thing about Affinity, thanks for the heads up.
My friend demoed that Affinity stainless frame. He found it extremely twitchy with massive toe overlap. He found fast descents a bit terrifying! Likely the company’s track dna might explain this. The frame is beautiful,though. FWIW

David
Old 07-22-2021, 03:46 PM

Would IF crown jewel be able to be made for campag eps?
Old 07-22-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post
I know I recommended this already, kinda... But it looks like they've got a new version coming, in the form of a more "classic" steel frame, with a standard head tube.
Wow that is very nice looking
Old 07-22-2021, 10:14 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Get a stout frame like a MXLeader, get yer drill and 5/32 bit out and make it Di2/EPS...Easy, I did it.
And this is really the simple and best solution.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
And this is really the simple and best solution.
Not to harp on this but I got the idea from a gent I stopped next to while riding in the republic..he was on a 1985-ish Ciocc SL..and it was plumbed for EPS..

So, I asked him about it, seemed simple..and so..got a 2012 Athena EPS group, my trusty drill and......
I talked to 3 frame builders about doing it and all 3 said-'no problem'...and it hasn't been.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:14 AM

In addition to the ones already mentioned, Stelbel and I think Battaglin are doing electronic-specific versions.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Not to harp on this but I got the idea from a gent I stopped next to while riding in the republic..he was on a 1985-ish Ciocc SL..and it was plumbed for EPS..

So, I asked him about it, seemed simple..and so..got a 2012 Athena EPS group, my trusty drill and......
I talked to 3 frame builders about doing it and all 3 said-'no problem'...and it hasn't been.
This has definitely crossed my mind. I guess I was thinking about something more modern, for the modern standards like a tapered head tube and carbon fork. I actually have an old frame I wouldn’t mind drilling but it’s not the modern frame I think I would really wind up enjoying long term.