Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2024, 03:31 AM

Topeak Joe Blow Repair

A few thoughts on bike pump repairs.
Last weekend found the taller one at a yard sale for $2. It had some water in it but at the time I thought it was condensation. When I got home realized there were a few inches of water/debris in the bottom tube. Hopeless no, unscrewed a few parts, cleared it out and cleaned up some minor corrosion. Added some drops of Silicone Oil & SuperLube and it was fine within an hour or so.
Next the smallest one on the left, that died decades ago. Again opened up the pump and cleaned parts, went up to local hardware and matched up O-rings and a spring for the check valve. Not as lucky this time, I reassembled from the bottom up - which made for another run to the hardware store for a 13mm O-ring. The proper method is drop the dial gauge in from the top with the cartridge attached, which is very easy.
Never use petroleum type products, they can dissolve O-rings. Use Silicone Oil & SuperLube
Keep pumps away from any water, the vent is a pinhole through the bottom foot plate.
The check-valve has a small spring, weakest link of the pump, hard to find but the hardware store had something close.

Repair parts are cheap.

[Getting ready for a 5 day bike tour, leaving soon]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JoeBlow.jpg (123.6 KB, 120 views)
Old 09-03-2024, 03:50 AM

Topeak has sent me repair parts for my Joe Blow at no charge many years after I bought it. I just needed the tiny o-ring for the head that keeps it on the valve stem but they were out of stock so they sent me an entire head. A few weeks later they also sent me an o-ring kit. No charge for any of these items. Great customer service!
Old 09-03-2024, 06:07 AM

Topeka sent me a few repair kits for their master blaster frame pump over the years for free. But last year it finally stopped working. I really wish they would make this again because it’s lighter, cheaper, and works better than the $$$ Silca frame pump I replaced it with.
Old 09-03-2024, 08:08 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Topeak has sent me repair parts for my Joe Blow at no charge many years after I bought it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post
Topeka sent me a few repair kits for their master blaster frame pump over the years for free.
Topeak customer service is amazing: They've not only sent me replacement parts for 2 or 3 floor pumps for free, long after they were purchased, but they've also sent me at least half a dozen brand new Road Morph frame pumps to replace ones that had broken...again, for free. And again, years after the original purchase.

tbh I can't quite wrap my head around how that business model works for them, because, every Topeak product I buy breaks! But then they repair or replace it at no charge. So I keep using their stuff. :shrugs:
Old 09-03-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Topeak customer service is amazing: They've not only sent me replacement parts for 2 or 3 floor pumps for free, long after they were purchased, but they've also sent me at least half a dozen brand new Road Morph frame pumps to replace ones that had broken...again, for free. And again, years after the original purchase.

tbh I can't quite wrap my head around how that business model works for them, because, every Topeak product I buy breaks! But then they repair or replace it at no charge. So I keep using their stuff. :shrugs:
Hah, I should have contacted them after my road morph stopped working. Instead I took the thing apart and sprayed some pam in it. It's been working for the last 4 years just like that!

I've had my joe blow sport since college (2006). I'm sure I've had to take care of a few things here and there but it now lives at my GF's house and has been working without incident there. Really well made stuff.

I did buy a bontrager pump recently to help seat tubeless tires since it has a charge pump and that's been really good too but I'll always have atleast a road morph in the stable. I carry mine for my gravel bike because pumping up wide tires with a road pump sounds like an awful exercise.
Old 09-03-2024, 09:04 AM

Just swapped out the hose/head on my Pedro's Super Prestige, which looks exactly like the tall one you just got. Hope to keep it going for a long time to come