Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 11:58 AM

Tandem owners: what vehicle do you use to transport?

Hurricane Helene recently gave my daily driver an unwanted bath, so am on the hunt for an SUV or truck that will accommodate the occasional tandem hauling.

It's 78" frame only, so add an extra foot and a half or so with wheels on. Will need that length straight or on the diagonal.

I've stuffed it in a Highlander before and it's snug but works, so that car's on the short list. Curious what others use out there.
Old Today, 12:02 PM

tandem rack...

cheaper than a new car?

https://www.amazon.com/Thule-558P-Bi...QE-&hvexpln=73
Old Today, 12:03 PM

I've considered that if getting a car, like an Accord or something, but prefer to keep it covered.

Have to get a new vehicle regardless (my car was total loss).
Old Today, 12:23 PM

It looks like Yakima's side winder is a good option. With the tandem bikes I have had experience with we have removed the wheels and put them in tandem bike bags for travel. ( they fit in large SUVs with the seat https://www.google.com/gasearch?q=ya.../gs/m2/5#ebo=0
Old Today, 12:24 PM

I have a Buick Enclave with the third row seats removed. I can fit our tandem upside down and only removing front wheel, and with both rear seats in place. Actually it fits right side up too. But upside down it doesnt even need to be lashed down. At the same time, with a single rear seat slid forward I can also fit my single bike, upright, and without removing the wheels. Voile straps brace the wheels to mounting points inside. We travel that way quite a bit. It was luck that it worked out that way.
Old Today, 12:25 PM

Thanks for that tip. Presume that swings out perpendicular to allow for hoisting the beast onto the fork mount?

[edit: disregard, just watched a video of how it works. very creative!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asNrR8HnmUQ]

Last edited by 54ny77; Today at 12:28 PM.
Old Today, 12:25 PM

Sprinter 170 extended.
Old Today, 12:37 PM

could fit in a Fit

https://www.blayleys.com/articles/cars/index.htm
Old Today, 12:45 PM

Honda Odyssey - I transported my tandem and also my triple inside. I think minivans are the best utility cars. A ton of space and very comfortable. No need to squat into and out of a car either.
Old Today, 12:54 PM

Totally recognize and appreciate a minivan, and I've rented 'em several times while on vaca and super thankful I did, but....I just can't bring myself to own one at this stage of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
Honda Odyssey - I transported my tandem and also my triple inside. I think minivans are the best utility cars. A ton of space and very comfortable. No need to squat into and out of a car either.
Old Today, 01:01 PM

Seems like a Cybertruck would be the obvious choice.
Old Today, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
If going the minivan route I'd put Chrysler Pacifica on that list. I've seen quickly swallow three adults, one tandem and one single bike.
Old Today, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
Motorcycles in a Honda Element is my favorite "lets stuff things that shouldn't go in a car" exercise, it's surprisingly common.

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles...honda_element/
https://www.reddit.com/r/HondaElemen...photo_dump_of/

KLR in a Subaru, also good entertainment.

Last edited by rice rocket; Today at 01:14 PM.
Old Today, 01:30 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

My 2 cents, more like 27 cents. But imperical experience opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Totally recognize and appreciate a minivan, and I've rented 'em several times while on vaca and super thankful I did, but....I just can't bring myself to own one at this stage of life.

Long wheelbase minivans are easy to live with, get AWD if you see snow. I avoid driving in ice/snow with my last 2 front drive mini vans even with very good wintery friendly tires. I had a AWD CRV before getting big dog and going to mini vans, miss that in snow for sure. Now retired I seldom HAVE to drive. [Wife's car gets full wheels/snows Dec-March]

2018 Sedona now, Pacifica prior. Best dog, bikes, home depot vehicles to live with. Low floor deck are a delight VS SUV or PUs IMO. Stow and go seats are an engineering gift. Not all use these.

Research the seating designs. The Sedona's slide forward fold up against the back of the front seats. Makes the side entry width way less friendly. I do load my solos in the side and ride 59-60s. it takes a bit of a lace of the bars between slid middle and the open door. Wide MTB bar worst. But I use MTBs in winter and only use rack, otherwise too mucky inside the van for the ride home. Plus just hose bike off on the rack.

TANDEM. Only use the top hanger rack in the hitch. My system is interesting. Bike stowed rests low on garage wall without wheels on. I used two closet brackets padded and top tube goes in where the hanger pole goes. Wheels go on first [so behind walled tandem] on padded pieces then the tandem goes on and gets covered.

When time to ride, I just take beast off rack on wall and walk to rack on van, plop. Then take the wheels off wall rack and put inside van.

Get to ride spot/start and take wheels from van and mount while on rack like a stand. Done with ride, put tandem up on rack, take wheels off and put inside van.

Get home, put wheels from inside van onto wall rack, go get tandem and plop onto the wall hangers and cover til next use.

Takes 'A LOT' of the moving of and hassle of how 'in the way' tandems ALWAYS are anytime they are not actually rolling.

Side note: Our Pacifica was PHEV and the HV battery went where the middle seats would stow to in the stow and go design. I got home from buying it and popped them out and stored in a closet until 3 years later when I put them back in on the way to sell it to Carmax. With those stowed [or out] it fit 4x8 sheets with the rear door closed.

Another side note: Get a dumpster in a bag 30.00 thing and put it in for nasty haul jobs, or even for tossing dirty bikes inside. I consider taking the Sedona middles out and closeting them. But they do not just quick release out like the Pacifica does. So pay attention to your needs and the seating designs when you choose what you will live with would with be my strong advice.

Last edited by robt57; Today at 02:33 PM.
Old Today, 01:33 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Motorcycles in a Honda Element is my favorite "lets stuff things that shouldn't go in a car" exercise, it's surprisingly common.
A few friends that have had Elements stubbornly refuse to acknowledge they don't have F-150 loading function. Comically really...