Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-24-2020, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I am not in any position to think about getting one at the moment, but it’s a vehicle that I like, despite the potential for disaster.

Question for those who may know: is this a JLR engine? Or is it a BMW engine? I seem to have some recollection that they source this power plant from BMW.

The number of fault codes is inexcusable in any vehicle in 2020, let alone a nominally premium car like a Defender. I watch TFL videos and these guys have been very patient but I can tell it’s wearing thin.

I like the design, size, materials, etc. The amount of customization possibly on the order sheet is excellent. In a year or so maybe I’ll be able to think about this and by then I hope the bugs are sorted out.

I've been an LC guy for a long time but I've always liked the style and capability of the Land Rover/Range Rover vehicles. I've pondered buying one many times but when it came down to it the unreliability/pain in the arse factor always ultimately stopped me from doing it. My LC's have always been rock solid reliable and folks I know with LR's always seemed to be dealing with issues.

That said the new LC's being in the 90G range is a tough pill to swallow as well. But, you get a pretty solid chance of having zero issues with it. Pretty clear the LR's still have issues.

W.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I've been an LC guy for a long time but I've always liked the style and capability of the Land Rover/Range Rover vehicles. I've pondered buying one many times but when it came down to it the unreliability/pain in the arse factor always ultimately stopped me from doing it. My LC's have always been rock solid reliable and folks I know with LR's always seemed to be dealing with issues.

That said the new LC's being in the 90G range is a tough pill to swallow as well. But, you get a pretty solid chance of having zero issues with it. Pretty clear the LR's still have issues.

W.
I’d love a Land Cruiser. They’re rated for 17 MPG on the highway and most reviews I’ve seen report 13-14 in daily use.

I hope there’s a next gen version and I hope they are able to achieve significant improvements in fuel economy. They’re the leaders in hybrid technology so I’m sure it’ll be possible.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I’d love a Land Cruiser. They’re rated for 17 MPG on the highway and most reviews I’ve seen report 13-14 in daily use.

I hope there’s a next gen version and I hope they are able to achieve significant improvements in fuel economy. They’re the leaders in hybrid technology so I’m sure it’ll be possible.

I can agree, but man that 5.7 just runs and runs often trouble free...3-4-500,000 miles plus.

W.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I can agree, but man that 5.7 just runs and runs often trouble free...3-4-500,000 miles plus.
Yup, our friend's '02 LC just turned over 350k miles - not.one.problem.ever and it's parked outside in the Northeast most of the time.

Our first GX (not the same motor but similar architecture) had 130k completely trouble-free miles and we sold it for a diesel truck to pull a horse trailer....never bought the horse trailer and the Merc diesel had mixed reliability.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:31 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Park yourself under a 200 series Land Cruiser and the Defender.
The Defender is a warmed over Discovery. The design focus has nothing to do with durability, strength or reliability.

All the money went into the drivetrain, motor and build quality of the Toyota.
The Land Cruiser can be field repaired for the most common things. But the build quality and engineering is all for durability and maximum strength.
It's the strongest production Land Cruiser they have ever made.
Look at the size of the diffs compared to the Defender, or any other suv short of a 1 ton truck.

Is the Land Cruiser worth $40K more than a Defender?
It's worth at least that, and more.

Depreciation alone will make the Defender worth less than a used 4Runner in 5 years.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:

According to Car and Driver, the Land Cruiser is history.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ser-dead-2022/
Old 12-25-2020, 01:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Yup, our friend's '02 LC just turned over 350k miles - not.one.problem.ever and it's parked outside in the Northeast most of the time.

Our first GX (not the same motor but similar architecture) had 130k completely trouble-free miles and we sold it for a diesel truck to pull a horse trailer....never bought the horse trailer and the Merc diesel had mixed reliability.
Toyota heard about and bought back two different Tundras with this engine that had over one million miles each. They tore them down to study them and learn what they could. Basically they found wear they would expect from an engine with only 100,000 miles on it.

W.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthornt View Post
According to Car and Driver, the Land Cruiser is history.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ser-dead-2022/
In its current form it will be done. That said, I also think it will be back and I hope it's back with Toyota values and not a $150,000 price tag, at least not with the Toyota badge.

The Land Cruiser or variants of it are sold worldwide and have been for decades.

I'd love a current Heritage Edition because it can be gotten without the rear seat, and because it looks nice with no running boards. But I don't have a spare $90k sitting around burning a hole in my pocket. The fuel economy isn't the deal breaker but it sure makes me think hard about it. That's mad painful fuel consumption.

Also, that roof basket would be off mine immediately.