Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2024, 02:49 PM
Vendor

Cuteness Is Everything.

It turns out that Specialized, Mark McM, fa63, Alex Dowsett, Lance Armstrong (because it *is* about the bike), and Hambini are all wrong.
Aero isn't anything. Weight isn't anything. Rolling resistance and friction loss minimization ain't nothing neither (triple negative oolala!).
Presented for your proselytization: Objective and irrefutable axiomatic evidence that cuteness is, in F-A-C-T, everything.

[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

Gosh, I just love this little fella. It doesn't get as many compliments as my Ritchey, but it gets more confused looks and questions than every other bike I've ever owned combined, and I've had/I have some pretty anarchistic/anachronistic bikes.
Today I took it for a beautiful (I mean beautiful) 72 mile/7000 feet of climbingh ride. Climbs mountains well, huffs and puffs a bit on steep punchy stuff, cruises at a more than fast-enough pace for day when I don't have to get to work at any particular time, and most of all: It's cute, and riding it makes me happy, especially in beautiful places and/or with nice people.

(Soma Rufus, btw, but I'm calling it Wario.)
Old 09-05-2024, 02:53 PM

That’s a really nice bike. Never seen that Soma before. How does it handle on high speed descents?

Ps: love the purple and orange

And I’m somewhat surprised it’s currently available for 600 retail.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 09-05-2024 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2024, 02:55 PM

Wow! My first question is “how many spacers” are you running there? Second question: did you max out the seat post?

That’s some eye candy, for sure.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 09-05-2024 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2024, 03:12 PM

Love this

Reminds me of the time I took my Bike Friday up (then down) Mont Ventoux. Lots of confused looks for the “clown bike” (as my wife calls it).
Awesome photos. And terrific purple (go Ravens, after all).
MB
Old 09-05-2024, 03:16 PM

I dig those mini-velo's.

SPP

Last edited by SlowPokePete; 09-05-2024 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2024, 04:03 PM

Potential POTY (post of the year).
Old 09-05-2024, 04:14 PM

Your stem is too short.

The countryside is gorgeous! Where was the ride?

Nice bike and definitely cute.

Last edited by dgauthier; 09-05-2024 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-05-2024, 04:20 PM

Not trying to be “that guy” but what is the point of the little wheels? Other than the cuteness factor….of course.

Tim
Old 09-05-2024, 04:34 PM
Vendor

Couple more from some gravel loops around the Manasquan Reservoir in NJ yesterday.

@Twindad: The bike is designed to be set up like this. Comes with a massive steer tube, which I circumcised significantly. The seatpost is within minimum insertion approval range, but only by a cm or so.

@Massbiker: Thing about (decent and better) bikes is, you turn the pedals and they go. Some go differently than others, but with the appropriate gearing, you can take pretty much any bike on any paved course. My friends call it The Clown Bike, too. I came off of a pull a couple of days ago and took my hands off the bars and pretended to juggle. Purple is just the best.

@Likes2RideFar: If you look at the route I did today, there is a very fast and squiggly descent from mile 32 - 35 (the descent actually continues for another 2-3 miles, sans squiggles). 1) The bike doesn't hit the same speeds as a road bike because the 53x11 max gear only gets you so far on a 20" wheel before spinning out, and because those stubby wheels and fat tires just don't seem to have as high a top speed as 'regular' wheels and tires. On one descent where I typically max out at 42, these 'only' got up to 39. 2) At high speeds, the handling is sharp up and snappy up to a point, at which point one needs to feather the brakes and slow down a bit in order to take those tight fast squiggly turns (a lot more squiggly than the map shows). At low speeds, you can turn the handlebar instead of leaning the bike (zero chance of toe overlap), which is great for picking through the 'Hard Mode Bonus Points' path between trees and obstacles. Still learning the art of corning on balloony little tires though, so maybe my skills will improve and I'll become a better high speed descender on it soon.
Yeah, it's pretty well priced. The wheels were almost as expensive as the frame, I think they retail for $400 or so. They feel really nice!

@dgauthier, not it's not, but I would have thought so too. It's the geo of the whole bike. Soma recommends no more than a 90, maxmaxmax. I tried that, and it made the bike feel like a 61cm frame reach. I think it's a 60mm stem now, fits very comfortably. I'm 5'11", typically ride a 54 with a deep drop and a 110mm stem.

@mcteague, you nailed it. It's just different. They are very smooth, that's for sure. Best explanatory analogy I can give is Street Fighter 2. Ken or Guile are obviously the best choice if you want to win more often than not. But sometimes I like to choose E Honda or Chun Li or Zangief because it's fun to play as different characters. Likewise, sometimes I'll choose the more challenging bike just because it's different and fun. But I will admit, if this bike wasn't painted the way it is, I wouldn't have bought one.
Old 09-05-2024, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
@dgauthier, not it's not, but I would have thought so too.(...)
Oh, I was totally kidding about the stem.

Just trying to satirize old Paceline threads from the days of "The Jerk"...and failing...
Old 09-05-2024, 04:42 PM

Love this thread

My beloved Bike Friday is likely going down the path of becoming a single speed (fixed-free flip/flop) as it is SO easy to break down and transport (I have the Ritchey Break-Away for true “travel” road biking).

And I agree with you on all of the above. Just a different way to ride and enjoy two wheels.

I found that even in some spirited group road rides I could do ~ 90%+ of everything with a BF Pocket Rocket and 2x9 gearing. And those little 20” wheels really help you tuck into a nice draft!

The super high-end is hard to get to - but that’s not what bike like this is for!
Old 09-05-2024, 04:46 PM

Also that scenery in the photos. I’m jealous …and I live in the Bay Area.
Old 09-05-2024, 04:49 PM

and it's faster then your crosstrek.. dont ask how I know.
Old 09-05-2024, 04:49 PM

That's an interesting theme, well-rendered in upgraded kit and color!

Some of the weird bikes out there can be surprisingly versatile, too

Riding or racing "The Circus Bike" (Cheltenham-Pedersen), I've enjoyed the same sort of conspicuity, my theme being "beyond retro" or "Danish chopper".
https://live.staticflickr.com/8149/7...6800654a_b.jpg
Old 09-05-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
and it's faster then your crosstrek.. dont ask how I know.
thats funny.really happy with mine so far though

the baron and i don't have the same bike but certainly have exactly the same car